Where Is Your Closest Brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At home, Rosscrowther Brauhaus, about the size of your average laundry, shoved at the front of my garage.
Food - house specialty would be bbq red curry prawns & cheesy scrolls.
Not selling, but the barter system works well.
Do I love it? Of course, but some batches are a bit dodgy - I think the brewer cuts a few corners. ;)

At work, Macquarie Hotel & the Schwarz brewery. Yum!

Anyone see an opportunity here....

Closest micro would be James Squire in Melbourne, an hour away from where I live. The Scottish Chiefs still does not have a brewer working in their brewery and have not brewed for years.
Actually, they do. Beacon Brewing operated their brewery while I was down last. I had a chat to Dan, the brewer and owner. You also have Bellarine Brewing close by.

Here's a quick and dirty piece on Beacon Brewing that I wrote for the BABBs newsletter:

On a recent trip to the Bellarine Peninsula in Victoria, I attended a local primary school's Easter fair with the family (lucky me). My boredom was cured by a stall that advertised, of all things, local craft beer. My curiosity was piqued, so I wandered over to investigate. Once there, I met Dan from Beacon Brewing, a new microbrewery that he has recently started. Dan explained that he brews using the equipment from the Geelong brew pub Scottish Chiefs. The Scottish Chiefs brewery was originally installed as an extract brewery around 20 years ago, but Dan has managed to squeeze a mashtun into the brewery and is churning out a number of different all-grain craft beers. He had beer for sale at the fair, so I sampled his Beacon Pale Ale, which is an English inspired recipe, with some galaxy added late in the boil. It is quite a nice beer, with a toasty malt flavour and some crystal flavours present. Hop flavour is subdued, which Dan tells me is a concession to commercial concerns. Dan is able to brew 7.5HL batches on the system. His brewery is based in Barwon Heads on the Bellarine Peninsula, and he is hoping to eventually move all the brewing to Barwon Heads. Beacon Brewing's beers are available on tap at the Scottish Chiefs Tavern in Geelong and at various other establishments in the area. There are plans to expand to bottling in the future, but at present they are only available on draught.

Hargreaves hill is technically closest, as the new brewery in in Lillydale somewhere ( im in croydon).
I dont suppose they qualify as a brewpub, they have the restaurant/ bar in yarra glen. food there is exelent.
Ive seen their beers around, though i dont know if the export. i doubt it.
Yes, i do love it.

Like brendo, my next closest is Coldstream brewery, about 15 minutes. Its the one i consider closest.
It is a brew pub, but its atmosphere is much more a beer bar/ restaurant.
food is excellent, beer in my opinion is excellent.
they sell locally, but are hard to find.
I absolutely love them. one of my favorite places to go for a dinner and a pint.

I also consider white rabbit to be close. but its because i spend a lot of time in the healesville area.
I think we all know them well by now.

Buckley's are about 1 km closer geographically.
not a brewpub, just a brewery with a tasting bar. very friendly.
they sell locally.

I love all these breweries if only because they are local. they all have good beers on offer. some have good food too.
I feel quite passionately about keeping things local. i spruke their virtues to anyone who will listen. whenever i can.

I suppose that the breweries in the city like mountain goat are just as close as healesville, but i dont really feel it.

No breweries, micro or otherwise in the NT (intense 30 min Google and local knowledge). Closest would be any in Cairns i would say. Pity, large percentage of beer drinkers here, you would think that with the large amount of migrations from other states to here that someone would cotton on to the opportunity of an isolated market.

Redhill Brewery I would think. I dont know of any others down this way.

nearest brewery to me are those in adelaide....660km,s away :angry: .... and there is always a reason why i cant load the car up to take home.
mainly that would mean having to leave the missus and kids behind.....bing,and an idea formulated ;) ......cheers......spog........

:icon_offtopic:

heh heh. i didnt notice the date on this thread. i saw kai's response on page two and was exited that he knew of ANOTHER brewery opening in healesville......

Don't know. Though I wish I did. The only brewery I even know about is the Brewhouse, now down at the gabba.

I would love to know where all the breweries in brisbane are (that brick monstrosity in Milton doesn't count).

Don't know. Though I wish I did. The only brewery I even know about is the Brewhouse, now down at the gabba.

I would love to know where all the breweries in brisbane are (that brick monstrosity in Milton doesn't count).

Check out the International Hotel on Boundary St, Spring Hill ;)

... it wasn't amazing when i lived there 3-4 years ago it was 'ok', but they've a new Brit-style beer ... and very reasonable prices ($4/pint in happy hour which i think).

Where is your closest brewery?
Lobethal Bierhaus - a 5 min drive.

Is it a brew pub?
Yes

Does it sell bottles nationally or locally?
Locally you can buy growlers and get them refilled and have seen it on tap at a few pubs in town (Kings Head, Wheatsheaf).

Do you love it?
Their IPA (english) is gorgeous, the brown porter superb and the choc oatmeal stout is going down well at this time of the year. The dry hopped IPA that was on tap recently made me weak at the knees.

Mountain Goat. 2.9km :beerbang:

(not my actual address marked.) A bloke from the MB's is 1Km away!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sou...038581&z=15

Crap i just remembered CUB is 1/2 way to mountain goat! :lol:

Dont beat me for enjoying the smell of the mash/boil when the wind is blowing in our direction! :ph34r:

St Peters Brewery

Is it a brew pub?
Nope

Locally in limited amounts/venues, perhaps nationally?

Do you love it?
Not as such. The Green Star Lager is pretty good on a hot summer afternoon, their FWKs are meant to be very good but the E'ville Pilsner sold at the Hive Bar in Erskineville (and nowhere else) was terrible the only time I tried it. Was like drinking the juice from canned corn. Don't let that put you off though, try the Green Star if you spot it!

I work at he Sail and Anchor Brewery
across the road is Monk Brewery & Kitchen
down the road is Creatures

Hit Swan Valley on the weekends: Feral, Elmars, Duckstien, Mash, & Last Drop. :)

I live in Engadine on the southern outskirts of Sydney.
So I guess I am closest to 5 islands in Wollongong.

On the weekend I did try a pale ale from Wollongong called "longboard".
It was on tap atthe Scarborough hotel.
It was pretty damn good...a bit like LC's bright ale.

Actually, they do. Beacon Brewing operated their brewery while I was down last. I had a chat to Dan, the brewer and owner. You also have Bellarine Brewing close by.

Here's a quick and dirty piece on Beacon Brewing that I wrote for the BABBs newsletter:

Did not think that Bellarine were actually brewing their own yet?

Mine would be Hawthorn Brewery.

Looks like they brew out of a PO Box. Hawthorn Brewery Address :lol:

Unfortunately the Geebung Polo Club Hotel near me used to brew a great stout on premise. Even got a mention in a Michael Jackson book years ago.

Sadly no longer. All the equipment is long gone.

Hopper.

Where is your closest brewery? Indian Ocean Brewing Company, about 5 mins down the road at Mindarie harbour.

Is it a brew pub? Yep.

Does it sell bottles nationally or locally? In House only.

Do you love it? Yep :)

Lobethal Bierhaus - a 5 min drive.

Is it a brew pub?
Yes

Locally you can buy growlers and get them refilled and have seen it on tap at a few pubs in town (Kings Head, Wheatsheaf).

Do you love it?
Their IPA (english) is gorgeous, the brown porter superb and the choc oatmeal stout is going down well at this time of the year. The dry hopped IPA that was on tap recently made me weak at the knees.

They did a brewery special on Lobethal at the Local Taphouse some time back. IMHO it didn't taste as good as it did at the brewhaus ... but then that's to be expected I suppose.

Latest posts

Back