Where Do You Stick Your Probe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I have read a few of the threads on temp. Controlled fermentation probe locations and have my own thoughts from my first brew using this system.
What I found works well is using the probe to measure wort temp initially after yeast is pitched to bring the temp down quick. Then once fermentation temp is reached I move the probe out to measure or regulate air temp. I found that this reduces the amount of condensation I get in the fridge with the probe in the wort. As by the time the wort warms up enough to kick in the fridge the air temp is too high and makes a lot of condensation.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Steve

Good time for a Poll

A proctologist, Eric Cartman and an alien walk into a bar....

I put my probe on the outside of the fermentor , below the liquid line

attached by a bit of blue tac

works for me

Stick mine to the side of the fermenter half way up to liquid line attached with duct tape. Then tape a small block of foam over that to protect from fridge temp flucuations fluck CHANGES.

Seems to work pretty well.

probe_foam.JPG
Cheers FROGMAN...........................

Edit = speelin' and pic.

Mine just hangs loosely in the air from a top shelf. I've never been that scientific about the process. Beer seems to come out right.

Stick mine to the side of the fermenter half way up to liquid line attached with duct tape. Then tape a small block of foam over that to protect from fridge temp flucuations fluck CHANGES.

Seems to work pretty well.

View attachment 13280
Cheers FROGMAN...........................

Edit = speelin' and pic.
Same here Frogman - block of foam with sticky tape does a stirling job.
Reduces the amount of power-cycling of the fridge compressor, since the Brew temp has a high thermal mass compared to the probe dangling in free air.

mine are in a bottle of water in both of my fridges

Mine just hangs loosely in the air from a top shelf. I've never been that scientific about the process. Beer seems to come out right.

Ditto. I allow a 2 degree difference as well, so any lager with yeast specs for a 12C ferment sees the fridgemate set at 10C.

Mine goes into the wort, but then I bought the optional extra stainless steel probe.

My sensor is in Metho

that looks familiar :p

didnt we have this argument...... oops..... discussion a while back :ph34r:

I put mine in the wort through the lid

The probe hooks up to a temp controller in a box that switches power to a power point on the box

the fridge plugs into this and is switched on and off by the temp controller

I have a 0-40 deg thermostat in the fridge with the tube in metho (great idea pumpster :p hehe) and i set this about 5 deg below desired firmentetion temperature on the temp controller. The thermostat stops it getting too cold or running the fridge to freezing trying to cool down the wort. the fridge gets cold faster than 50 liters of beer

Man...... i just looked at that pic of the whole setup....... i pitched that beer at 29.4 deg.

If i set the fridge thermostat to 4 deg, it would cool the air in the fridge to 4 deg but switch off the fridge when the temp of the wort gets to the setpoint...... dsay 20 deg.

works great. 0.1 deg variation right through firmentation no matter what the heat is like outside the fridge.

In the summer i "now" cool the wort from the 30 deg to a better 20 deg before pitching.

cheers

lid_and_probe.JPG

temp_controller2.jpg

Plugs_for_probe.jpg

just_put_in_fridge_AA1.jpg

Back