When to add coffee?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/// said:
Use eXpresso at work, straight into keg. about .75ml litre works well.
Ive worked places where that type of language will get you a decaff.

rossbaker said:
The ratio I originally used for the coffee was 10g of ground coffee per 100ml.
That's just about 2kgs for a full kegs worth. Are you sure?

slcmorro said:
That's just about 2kgs for a full kegs worth. Are you sure?
That would only be the case if I was planning on making 20l of coffee. I want 20l of beer with some coffee added. Based on my original splash of coffee I have no idea how much that will end up being. Figuring out the best ratio should be a fun process though. I was thinking I could try making three different batches off cold steep coffee of varying strength and then test out different beer/coffee ratios with each batch of coffee.

Same ratio i use. 100g into 1 litre.

Heaps of water gets soaked up by the coffee though and i filtered mine twice. Putting the resulting 700ml into a keg of stout has worked nicely for me.

Topher said:
Same ratio i use. 100g into 1 litre.

Heaps of water gets soaked up by the coffee though and i filtered mine twice. Putting the resulting 700ml into a keg of stout has worked nicely for me.
I used 100g in my most recent stout. Cold steeped for 24-hours and then filtered. Barely noticeable.

But, this is s pretty mild coffee.

Forgot to mention my last keg was only 2/3 full.

Has to be ground and used straight away.....like within minutes of going through the grinder. Also should be well under a week since it was roasted. And a filter roast or really light espresso roast.

Any quality African bean works real well for cold steep. Kenyans, Ethiopians etc.

Back