When do you dry hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beamer said:
I normally dry hop after 5 days (or FG is reached) then rack into a secondary after 3 days and crash chill for four days then keg. I only got into this habit after dry hopping for 7 days with a big hit of galaxy and the result was grassy grassy grassy. Not very pleasant at all, but then again it didnt go to waste.
Galaxy can be a very difficult hop to master, very easy to overdo it. My experiences with it suggest to me that less is more. I don't dry hop any more than 50g for no longer than 3 days if using pellets. Ive yet to try at a lower temperature, im led to believe it can really help when using galaxy

I dry hop in primary for 1 or 2 days, which is long enough to extract volatile oils but not grassy flavours.

I never sanitise hops, but would sanitize a hopsack if I used one for the purpose. Sanitising hops is generally thought unnecessary and in 20 or so dry hopped beers, the hops have not been a source of infection.

pist said:
Galaxy can be a very difficult hop to master, very easy to overdo it. My experiences with it suggest to me that less is more. I don't dry hop any more than 50g for no longer than 3 days if using pellets. Ive yet to try at a lower temperature, im led to believe it can really help when using galaxy
I believe it was my very first dry hop too and even after all the research i had done i still couldnt wait to get the little buggers in there, but lesson learnt and 3 days is my max aswell especially galaxy. The best dry hopping resut i had with galaxy was to dry hop on day 5 and rack into a secondary on day 8 love big lychee and tropical fruit aromas, hence this is my favourtie method now

Keg hop for me too , also leave them in till it blows (she cried)
English Bitters 2 x plugs in the big ss tea ball
APA's pellets in the hop bag

I tend to dry hop on day 7, or lately I've been dry hopping as I cold crash. I read that dry hopping on cold crash can reduce the grassy taste some hops leave behind. Not sure if i've noticed any difference, but then again I've not had any grassy notes to speak of.

burrster said:
I tend to dry hop on day 7, or lately I've been dry hopping as I cold crash. I read that dry hopping on cold crash can reduce the grassy taste some hops leave behind. Not sure if i've noticed any difference, but then again I've not had any grassy notes to speak of.
Yep, I cold crash my primary so all the yeast settles out, then dry hop into empty secondary, then transfer the beer on top of the hops. Then I let the magic happen for 3 - 7 days.

I'm experimenting with dry hopping in a pet bottle using a carbonator cap with a filter on the end in the bottle.
Picture worth several words....
image.jpeg
Counter pressure fill from keg using two beer connectors.
image.jpeg
Leave a week and counter pressure back into the keg.

It's a bigger getting the hops in bottle but will 3D print a screw on funnel.
Seemed to do the job.

That would be bugger not bigger. Auto correct.
Is editing editing a premium function now days?

Back