Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link to Recipe

1.5 kg Briess DME- Weizen

1.5 kg Muntons DME - Light

25 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellets, 4.0 AA%, 60 mins)

500 ml Wyeast Labs 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Hi, I am looking to do this same recipe for my first brew. Am having trouble finding the Munton or Briess DME's from our sponsors websites. No probs with the yeast.

Can anyone recommend where to find the Munton and/or Briess DME's please?

Cheers,

Moovet

I wouldn't be too concerned, you'll be fine with a different brand extract

I used some Muntons Dried Wheat Extract from Grain and Grape in a Dunkelweissen recently. Turned out really well. A thing to remember when using it in a recipe is that Dried wheat malt extract is at least 50% wheat and less then 50% barley. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that's how it goes with all wheat malt extract. I asked John at Grain and Grape about this and he informed me that 100 % wheat extract would be too hard to handle. The Munton's stuff is very nice malt but expensive.

i have my first wheat beer in my primary at the moment, its one made form a recipe that i got from the grain and grape website.

i used:

ESB - Wheat Beer - 3Kg and for the yeast i used Wyeast Activator 125 ml Belgian Witbier 3944

the ESB kit actually had hop pellets floating around inside the liquid malt inside the tin which is something id never seen before :blink:

i pitched the yeast at 24 and it has been fermenting away at around 22 and i intend to bulk prime in my bottling vessell after 10 days (wed night) in primary and then bottle straight after that without bothering with seconday, i am hoping that way i will still be able to retain some of the yeast to give it a cloudy appearance when swirled around in the bottle.

I didnt bother with coriander or orange peel because i wanted the flavours from the yeast to speak for itself.

oh and for the first time in a brew there has been no bubbling action in the airlock, there is a nice big layer of foam at the top and when i squeeze the sides of the fermenter to force a puff of air through the airlock it doesnt smell like death so i can safely assume that everything is going to plan :unsure:

do you think that i should bother to rack this to secondary and that a beer of this style will benefit from the extra ageing in the secondary to let it age for another 10 days or will it be fine after 10 days in primary and in the bottle for 4 weeks?

I have a very strict rule for my wheat beers, as soon as it's carbed, it get drunk. Personally, I wouldn't rack it either. IMO wheat beers are at their best when fresh as possible

I have a very strict rule for my wheat beers, as soon as it's carbed, it get drunk. Personally, I wouldn't rack it either. IMO wheat beers are at their best when fresh as possible

+1

All my wheat beers taste their best straight out of the fermenter.

excellent news... although im not a huge wheat beer fan myself i wanted to try something with an expensive liquid yeast to see what kind of flavours and aromas it would bring to the beer...

i must admit though mainly brewed this for the missus so she can have her standard 1 stubby with dinner and then i dont have to share my pale ales with her and i can concentrate on brewing dark ales and stouts for myself while she works her way through the wheats :beerbang:

feels good man

Hi, I am looking to do this same recipe for my first brew. Am having trouble finding the Munton or Briess DME's from our sponsors websites. No probs with the yeast.

Can anyone recommend where to find the Munton and/or Briess DME's please?

Cheers,

Moovet
G'day Moovet,

If you read the recipe, I actually used both Munton's DME and Munton's wheat DME. (Briess was the option available in the database). Bought both from my lhbs, MHB on this forum.

I though most sponsors would have them, but I don't usually shop elsewhere, so I have little idea on that.

Send me a pm if you want his phone number or shop email address.

Beerz

Hi All,
Just tried making a Belgian Wit / Hoegaarden replica.

Thomas Coopers Wheat
750g Coopers Liquid Wheat ME
500g Dry Wheat ME
Wyeast 3944

After primary it didn't seem to have as much malty wheatness as I'd like, so I added another 250g dry wheat ME (leaving the other 250g from packet to bulk prime). Will report on the results.

But was thinking next time just ditch the liquid malt which is half barley anyway and just go 1.25 - 1.5kg dry wheat malt. Any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic here but has anyone used honey in a wheat beer to try for a beez neez clone? I'd like to give that a shot at some stage I reckon.

Dose that principle apply equally to AG Wheat beers and Extract Wheats?

Dose that principle apply equally to AG Wheat beers and Extract Wheats?

I'll let you know when I eventually do an AG wheat :D I've only gone as far as partials. But every wheat beer I've made starts loosing it's character after about a month/6 weeks

i have my first wheat beer in my primary at the moment, its one made form a recipe that i got from the grain and grape website.

i used:

ESB - Wheat Beer - 3Kg and for the yeast i used Wyeast Activator 125 ml Belgian Witbier 3944

the ESB kit actually had hop pellets floating around inside the liquid malt inside the tin which is something id never seen before :blink:

i pitched the yeast at 24 and it has been fermenting away at around 22 and i intend to bulk prime in my bottling vessell after 10 days (wed night) in primary and then bottle straight after that without bothering with seconday, i am hoping that way i will still be able to retain some of the yeast to give it a cloudy appearance when swirled around in the bottle.

I didnt bother with coriander or orange peel because i wanted the flavours from the yeast to speak for itself.

oh and for the first time in a brew there has been no bubbling action in the airlock, there is a nice big layer of foam at the top and when i squeeze the sides of the fermenter to force a puff of air through the airlock it doesnt smell like death so i can safely assume that everything is going to plan :unsure:

do you think that i should bother to rack this to secondary and that a beer of this style will benefit from the extra ageing in the secondary to let it age for another 10 days or will it be fine after 10 days in primary and in the bottle for 4 weeks?
quick question if anyone can help me quickly i am just about to bulk prime this beer using the 'beer is good priming calculator and i was wondering as to what type of beer this would classify as..... i have a choice of 'belgian ales' which require a low amount of dex or a 'german wheat' which require quite a lot of dex.... which one do i go with?

belgian ale requires about 100gm of dex where german whaeat require 200gm of dex for a 23lt batch??

plz halp!!

I'd split the difference. 200 seems like an awful lot, 100 will give carb similar to an English ale. 150 is a reasonable mid point then you can get an indication of what will work next time.

The above is all based on an assumption of around 20 -22 litres.

thanks anyway but i came accross this site: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html that had a wider selection of beer styles and i found a belgian wit beer in theer and punched that into my calc and came up with 133gm....

internets ftfw

cheers manticle, hey maybe we could have an east meets west beer tasting sometime seeing that i live in brunswick east :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

thanks anyway but i came accross this site: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html that had a wider selection of beer styles and i found a belgian wit beer in theer and punched that into my calc and came up with 133gm....

internets ftfw

cheers manticle, hey maybe we could have an east meets west beer tasting sometime seeing that i live in brunswick east :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
ok so i cracked the first of the wheat beers after they had been 2 weeks in the bottle and i think they may be over carbonated, i poured the first one into a frosty glass out of the freezer and the whole glass turned to foam. i poured another into a room temperature glass and it appeared to be the same thing, i had to walk away from the glass to let the head settle and then top the glass up with some more beer and then walk away for another 10 minutes to let the head settle again.

after about 30 minutes i had enough beer in the glass to commence drinking but jeez it was gassy.

tasted really really good (for a wheat beer) though.

i think next time ill use a lot less dexy when i bulk prime, my greatest fear is that i brewed it for the missus to keep her away form my pale ales and when she realises what an ordeal it is just to pour a single glass she will leave these in the fridge and drink my beer instead
FML :(

any tips on how to overcome the over carbonation? like open the bottle and let it sit for an hour or something to let it go flat?

Latest posts

Back