Wheat Beer Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best consumed within 1 month, I start crackin' them open in 10 days so long as it's carbed up

I keg mine and force carb it right away so I can get stuck into it and the rest I drink straight from the fermenter.

Even just the whispering wheat with some BE1 is a nice drop, I add some extra dex to it to bump up the Acl% and have it as my daily drinker.

An all-barley "wheat beer" is freakin' delicious. Try it some time.

I think he's 'taking the piss'. :icon_cheers:

Not at all. I do this one quite a bit:

18L
3kg BB Ale Malt
250g Carared
15g B Saaz 60min
3068 @ 20C

...it tastes very Leffe Blonde-ish.

Not at all. I do this one quite a bit:
18L
3kg BB Ale Malt
250g Carared
15g B Saaz 60min
3068 @ 20C
...it tastes very Leffe Blonde-ish.

Ok so its a 'wheat beer' because its made with 3068!?

Ok gotcha, i had a funny feeling you thaught leffe blonde was a wit/weizen.

Btw, not all wheat beers are made with estery/phenolic yeasts either. try replacing 2kg of that base malt with wheat and fermenting with 1056. :icon_cheers:

Ok so its a 'wheat beer' because its made with 3068!?

Ok gotcha, i had a funny feeling you thaught leffe blonde was a wit/weizen.

Btw, not all wheat beers are made with estery/phenolic yeasts either. try replacing 2kg of that base malt with wheat and fermenting with 1056. :icon_cheers:

Sounds good, Fourstar. Sounds like a Yankweisse.

I have a wheat/rice lager that's so weasle-piss you'd swear it was weasle-piss: roughly 75:25 wheat:rice with 34/70 at 11C and 25IBU with something noble. Damn it's fine. I is drunking it now :icon_drunk: .

Sounds good, Fourstar. Sounds like a Yankweisse.

I have a wheat/rice lager that's so weasle-piss you'd swear it was weasle-piss: roughly 75:25 wheat:rice with 34/70 at 11C and 25IBU with something noble. Damn it's fine. I is drunking it now :icon_drunk: .

No Barley?!?! :eek: Blasphemy!

Im sure you would need a fair few handfulls of rice gulls to get that to lauter!

Have any pics of that sucker?! A little naughty secret i have (and asher too, sorry mate) is to try and make the lightest beer possible with the most amount of flavour! :icon_drool2:

No Barley?!?! :eek: Blasphemy!

Im sure you would need a fair few handfulls of rice gulls to get that to lauter!

Have any pics of that sucker?! A little naughty secret i have (and asher too, sorry mate) is to try and make the lightest beer possible with the most amount of flavour! :icon_drool2:

Prepare for more blasphemy ... I just give the bag a hefty squeeeeeeeeze. You can hear the gulls in there squawking. I'll take a pic next time I pour one (10:15am and the sun's below the yardarm).

Do you mean the most malty flavour, but still EBC low? I hop the daylights out of it.

G'day fellas,
Sorry to have missed your previous request, DKS.
I have a great and simple recipe for an extract wheat beer, in the Bavarian style.

1 kg (Muntons or other) DME
1.5 kg Wheat DME (Muntons or other)
25g of 4% alpha Saaz pellets.

Boil 6 or 7 litres of water and add the DME and the hops.
Boil for 60 min, adding the remaining Wheat DME (off the heat) in the last 10 minutes.

You can optionally add Irish Moss (or Whirfloc) in the last 10 minutes as well.

Add a lid and place the kettle/ boiler in a sink of cold water. Change the water every 10 minutes. Should be cool enough by the end of 30 or 40 minutes.

Add to sanitised fermentor and top up to 22 litres with tap water. When cool enough, pitch W3068 culture (about 600ml - 1 litre).
O.G. - 1.042
F.G. - 1.007
Alc - 4.5%
Bitterness - 13.6 IBUs
Colour - about 10 EBC

The flavours are very close to the expected Weizen flavours, but some barley sugar flavour will be present (and pleasant) when young. Can be consumed as soon as carbonated.

Cheers
Les

G'Day Les,

I am going to do this for my first brew - I am just a bit stumped by the yeast requirements. Could you please expand on how I get the yeast prepped for pitching and would 22 degrees be low enough to pitch? Also, would you recommend any other hops for this style? I am a particular fan of Murray's Whale Ale (which is a wheat beer) and am trying to find a clone wheat beer for it. I am a noob and will not be AGing for some time.

Cheers

Uncy P

G'day Uncy P.

The best wheat beer I done when I was doing extract brew's was Lez the Weiz guy's erdinger clone.

Here it is:

Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Volume: 14.0 L Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 62.5 %
9.00 gm Perle [8.00%] (90 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
12.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (90 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
7.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
7.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Starter 600 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.044-1.052 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 SG (1.010-1.014 SG)
Estimated Color: 13.6 EBC (3.9-15.8 EBC)
Bitterness: 19.3 IBU (8.0-15.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 % (4.3-5.6 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 %

As for the yeast, given that it's your first, if you're happy to spend the money all on the one batch, I would just follow the instructions on the packet and then dump it straight into your fermenter. 22C is fine, but ideally you want it fermenting at around 20C.

G'day Uncy P.

The best wheat beer I done when I was doing extract brew's was Lez the Weiz guy's erdinger clone.

Here it is:

Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Volume: 14.0 L Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 62.5 %
9.00 gm Perle [8.00%] (90 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
12.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (90 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
7.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
7.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Starter 600 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.044-1.052 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 SG (1.010-1.014 SG)
Estimated Color: 13.6 EBC (3.9-15.8 EBC)
Bitterness: 19.3 IBU (8.0-15.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 % (4.3-5.6 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 %

As for the yeast, given that it's your first, if you're happy to spend the money all on the one batch, I would just follow the instructions on the packet and then dump it straight into your fermenter. 22C is fine, but ideally you want it fermenting at around 20C.

Thanks Phoney. Looks very do-able.

G'Day Les,

I am going to do this for my first brew - I am just a bit stumped by the yeast requirements. Could you please expand on how I get the yeast prepped for pitching and would 22 degrees be low enough to pitch? Also, would you recommend any other hops for this style? I am a particular fan of Murray's Whale Ale (which is a wheat beer) and am trying to find a clone wheat beer for it. I am a noob and will not be AGing for some time.

Cheers

Uncy P
Murray's Whale Ale is a different style to a German wheat beer, and will use a different yeast.
If you want to make that style you could email [email protected] and ask for some tips.
22 is OK for this style, if that's the coolest you can manage. 17C is better for W3068, or 20ish for W3056.

To prep the yeast, you should make a culture with about 1.5 litres of wort (or just DME in 1.5 l water to about 1.040).

Other hops suited to German wheat are noble German hops (Perle, Hallertau, Tettnang, Hersbrucker and a few more).

For an American-style (e.g. Murray's) wheat beer, you can use any aromatic hop you like (Citra, Mt Hood, Topaz, Glacier, Amarillo etc) , but keep the bittering low to about 20 IBUs maximum.

pm me if you want more specifics

Latest posts

Back