Whats your method for measuring hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danscraftbeer said:
I've gotta say it though. Cheap digital scales are not accurate to the gram at all. Measure the same quantity of hops 3 times and you'll get 3 different readings grrrrr. Then take an average. -_-
That's with an adventurous $30 set of scales.
Weighing heavier things multiple times you can get hundreds of grams variations each time. Very frustrating.
My cheap ebay from hong kong 0.1 increment scales have been consistent. Have 3 sets, all read the same as each other and same each time unless battery is dying.

Benn said:
My wife bought a Berlini, it came with digital scales so now they're part of the brewery:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CQokgv0dQw

whitegoods stores eg good guys - got a choice of digitals from about $12 up. i think i paid $14 for one that measures 10kg to the gm, ml, fl oz. and i throw the hops into a coffee cup, plastic lunch box, wife's bra cup if i'm feeling fiesty, whatever. i think they all tare on digital anyway.

manticle said:
500g and 1000g max so good for hops, brewing salts, no good for grain.
Actually 500g and 1000g max are fine for grain if you’re smart. What I do with mine is weigh 10 x 1000g put it in a bag, hold it in my lefty then fill another bag and hold it in me righty til it balances. Then simply repeat till I have the required amount. B)

I have a spoon scale for my hops. 0.1 g resolution. Measures up to 300g. But I'm ocd when it comes to measuring hops. :)

you mean you actually measure hops ... after all these years you can't guess / estimate/ deep down in your bones know how many hops are in your hand ........... :unsure:

Really?

I use scales and adjust for AA% (bitterness level, which can change even between the same hop and the same crop).

The scales were about $15 delivered via eBay and go to 0.01 resolution, fairly accurately.

I have these ornamental (Libra) style ballance scales with the brass weights ha. Thats what I used for best accuracy.
Also calculate Hop Age deterioration too. ;)

Cant wait for my $15 new china digi one though. :unsure:

+3543 for a set of digital scales. I'm not all that pedantic about it though. If a recipe calls for 28g and I tip 30g into the measuring cup, it doesn't bother me. I just get a little extra hop flavour. :p

Scales don't need to be accurate to the gram for hops, far out. The reason you see 28g etc is because a lot of recipes have been from converted from ounces..
IBU calculations are theoretical and there are too many variables for it to be anywhere near accurate.

Benn said:
My wife bought a Berlini, it came with digital scales so now they're part of the brewery:)
Hey whoa how can this be true,you scored some thing from your better half for use in your brewery.?
Such things only happen in reverse,gotta be a typo. ;)

6 in 1 similar to the concept of postal scales....weigh, time, temp, pricing, calculator and pieces counter

1439384869190.jpg

Back