Whats your method for measuring hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackAdder

Reaction score
I am interested in peoples methods for measuring their hop additions.

I do not have a sensative scale, some recipes call for 28g etc. as well, so that is pretty bloody precise...

I have previously used the method of 1 pellet = 1g or 1/2g for tiny ones

Not the most scientific but it seems to work....

But I want to see if there are better methods to improve the consistency of my brews

Cheers

Small stainless bowl plus digital scales. Correct to the gram.
Anything stopping you from getting a simple inexpensive set of scales? Much better than overcomplicating things surel... hang on, just remembered this is home brewing.

Yep, cheap set of digital scales measure up to 10kg in 1g increments. Use it for grain and hops.

Mine are only accurate to the gram, I haven't felt the need to get too pedantic over it.

Besides, I tend to use Yobs unit of measurement when it comes to cube hops, so it's gets a bit arbitrary anyway...

Target, Big W, Kmart....... You'll need a set that you can "tare off" against a small ss bowl ... I've got a Target scale accurate to the gram and a set of four bowls that I bought from a two dollar shop that I keep for additions.

I bought scales from ebay for around $10 delivered. Beats counting hops.

Just hold a 20c coin in ya lefty, and when you have a balance of da hops in da righty you have 11.3g

QldKev said:
Just hold a 20c coin in ya lefty, and when you have a balance of da hops in da righty you have 11.3g
Brillaint method...

and a bit of Googling will tell you a fiddy cent coin gets you 15.55g

a set of 250 gram scales accurate to 0.1 of a gram
will weigh a toothpick
they are not expensive

Weird....

I have looked in Kmart etc. before and havnt seen any except some dodgy manual ones

I will have to have a better look :)

If you buy a 100gm pack split into three or four equal amounts at least you will get close to the amount you want . Just do the math if you don't want to spend an extra $10 on scales .

I've gotta say it though. Cheap digital scales are not accurate to the gram at all. Measure the same quantity of hops 3 times and you'll get 3 different readings grrrrr. Then take an average. -_-
That's with an adventurous $30 set of scales.
Weighing heavier things multiple times you can get hundreds of grams variations each time. Very frustrating.

My wife bought a Berlini, it came with digital scales so now they're part of the brewery:)

Latest posts

Back