Whats You Favourite Movies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butters, Sanjuro is nowhere near as good as Yojimbo...but...that last scene is better than just about anything ever shot. **** man, first time I saw it I hit rewind 6 times. Not kidding.

Renegade, I see and agree with your point about Wanted but it didn't work for me. I have a habit of reviewing films in a few places (not IMDB, in case you were wondering - what are those people thinking?) and I think my entire review for that went like this: Wanted - Perhaps but not by me, I've already seen The Matrix.

[EDIT: Butters, what you said about The Third Man (which I love), don't you think it goes ten-fold for Citizen Kane? I understand that the story and structure of The Third Man might be more satisfying but the qualities you admire in it seem much greater, to me, in CK. IMO, obviously)]

In no particular order...

Being John Malkovich
Amelie
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Edward Scissor Hands
The Cider House Rules
Dangerous Liaisons
Pushing Tin
High Fidelity
Con Air
The Killing Fields
Run Lola Run
Leon (The Professional)
On The Waterfront
The Deer Hunter
Millon Dollar Baby
Stand By Me
The Lion King
Ed Wood
Good Will Hunting
The Shawshank Redemption

WORSE MOVIE EVER

FORREST GUMP...

I'm guessing neither of you have been forced to watch "Manos: Hands of Fate"? I have a friend who finds watching horrible movies entertaining and proceeds to bring one every movie night. I no longer go to these movie nights.

Watched one stinker the other day called 'The Unborn'.

It was the most terrible movie I have seen for some time.

Butters, Sanjuro is nowhere near as good as Yojimbo...but...that last scene is better than just about anything ever shot. **** man, first time I saw it I hit rewind 6 times. Not kidding.

[EDIT: Butters, what you said about The Third Man (which I love), don't you think it goes ten-fold for Citizen Kane? I understand that the story and structure of The Third Man might be more satisfying but the qualities you admire in it seem much greater, to me, in CK. IMO, obviously)]

Agree, Yojimbo is a better movie....but that final scene, absolutely. I watch that at least 5 or 6 times, in slo-mo, every time I watch it.

Best...Death...Ever.

Got to admit, haven't actually watched Citizen Kane. :ph34r: Yes, I'm a philistine.

(Butters hangs his head in shame and leaves AHB to go to movieforumz to try and find it......)

Strange Brew
Dazed and Confused
usual suspects

would be my top watched, but heaps already posted here that I think are fantastic.

and HP and the Half-blood Price left me looking for more...might actually have to read the next one now.

Oh I was suckered into watching some total bollocks a few weeks ago, it was called Angels & Demons. What complete, total, utter CRAP.

I was suckered into dl'ing "The Hannah Montana Movie" by my daughter. What a waste of bandwidth. :ph34r:

Watched one stinker the other day called 'The Unborn'.

It was the most terrible movie I have seen for some time.

Agree with that, although the only movie I haven't been able to watch lately has been milk, its proberly a great movie but I just couldn't get past a weird looking sean penn picking up a young dude. I don't think I am terribly homophobic but........................

Mr Hulot's Holiday (Jaques Tati). The best movie ever made, at the end of the film you realise that you have really just spent an hour and a half in France in the 1950s. It took 2 years to make, each scene was meticulously worked out to the split second. And there's no dialogue or conversation but the sound track is one of the most sophisticated of that time. Perfect movie for relaxing with a few pints.

Mon Oncle was also excellent in a different way, Playtime was a bit of a let down and I have yet to track down a DVD of Traffic, his last work.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll post some of my favourite films, and a reason why I like then (I don't like arbitrary lists with no context)-

Fight Club- Beautiful film about a person's journey through nihilism and recognising its limits.

Johnny Got His Gun- Amazing stuff. For those who don't know it, it's the film that is featured in Metallica's "One" clip. The story of a WW1 soldier who has had his face, arms and legs blown off and his struggle to come to terms with his situation and how to communicate with the rest of the world. The B&W real world/Colour fantasies element was great.

Robocop- Ultraviolence to make a point about Reaganomics? **** yes.

LOTR 1-3- Well, they're just fantastic films. The problem is that they're so bloody long.

There's many

Ghosts of the civil dead
Lost highway
Inland Empire
Fire Walk with me
The Grandmother
Blue Velvet
L'age d'or
Un Chien Andalou
The cook, the thief his wife and her lover
Drowning by numbers
The Baby of Macon
Texas Chainsaw massacre (original only)
The Hills Have Eyes
The thing (Carpeneter remake - haven't seen the original)
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes back
A clockwork Orange
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Breaking the Waves
Nekromantik 1 and 2
Eraserhead
Alien, Aliens and Alien 3
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Ring/The ring (both Japanese and Hollywood versions)
Bad Taste
Braindead
Meet the Feebles
The Shining (kubrik version only)
Basket Case
Bloodsucking Freaks
Dawn of the Dead (both versions)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Island of Perversion
Suspiria
Inferno
Transylvania
The Secret Adventures of Tom thumb
Sleepy Hollow
Brotherhood of the wolf
The Proposition
No Country for Old Men
Fight Club
Se7en
Adaptation
Magnolia
Scarface
Godfather 1 and 2
Bad Lieutenant
Taxi Driver
Heat
The professional
La femme Nikita
Fifth element
The wicker man (original only - the remake is one of the worst films ever made)
Matrix (first only)
The boys
Chopper
Henry: Portrait of a serial killer

I love films like I love music.

I love music like I love beer.

Fight Club- Beautiful film about a person's journey through nihilism and recognising its limits.

Even though it has already been pointed out that we should not talk about Fight Club, I would like to have a brief discussion about Fight Club. IMO, this is one of the most misunderstood films of my generation. Quick question: who, in your ('you' being p&c and anyone else who cares to answer) opinion, is the most important character in this film?

Back