Whats The Worst Beer You've Ever Tried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett mccluskey

Reaction score
Had some friends around last night for tea and beers ,and while browsing my botttle/can collection,someone asked what the best beer was,naturally i said,no such thing,different time,weather,mood,etc :icon_cheers: But i always tell them what the worst beer i've ever drank was...Tennants Super :icon_vomit: Just wondering what other beers that ppl have tried that are real shockers,there must be a few out there :beer:

Had some friends around last night for tea and beers ,and while browsing my botttle/can collection,someone asked what the best beer was,naturally i said,no such thing,different time,weather,mood,etc But i always tell them what the worst beer i've ever drank was...Tennants Super :icon_vomit: Just wondering what other beers that ppl have tried that are real shockers,there must be a few out there :beer:

I love Tennant's Super, but I reckon it's definitely pipped by Skol Super :icon_drunk:

PomsgobadLarge.jpg

It prompted me to try my own versions of 9% supers and I did a really nice one (see my avatar) but I woke up one day begging in a mall with a four day growth and no knowledge of how I had got there :unsure:

Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum :icon_vomit:

I had a beer from Redoak a few months ago and it was an abomination. It had "Belgian Chocolate" somewhere in it's name. It was the type of beer that should have been poured down the drain than sold over the counter. It was an embarrassment to Australian craft beer.

The other beer I find truly disgusting is VB. I always get really ill when I drink it. It's vile.

pure blonde comes straight to mind, there are some pretty bad commercial brews out there but its probably on par with Barefoot Raddler

The one that sticks out in my mind for tasting bad was a can of VB in 1996 in Covent Garden at an Aussie-themed pub called Sheila's.

Tasted like UHT milk.

Lots of other fizzy lagers i've had were pretty awful, but nothing quite as bad as that VB.

Barefoot Radler for sure. TEDS Platinum is up there, and for some reason I decided to try Pure Blonde White...dunno what I was thinking :/

The other beer I find truly disgusting is VB. I always get really ill when I drink it. It's vile.

+1 also any other beer made with that awful turbo yeast, crap beer from Asia tastes better than Oz megaswill, not because it has much better malt or hop profiles, but simply because it is clean on the palate. VB makes me ill. :icon_vomit: It's what got me started home brewing.

I would not put any megaswill such as tooheys or CUB in this catergory, they are not disgusting beers by an means, boring and like a funeral in your mouth maybe but disgusting no. They are well made and for the most part not offensive.

Microbreweries, whilst many make the best beer it is also microbreweries who make the worst undrinkable beers going around, infections and sometimes just down right shit brewers, no need to name and shame anyone but I would happily drink VB or super dry over a few of the microbreweries beers.

I made a Jovial Monk partial beer many years ago (french specialty ale I think?). Even after a long time in the bottle it did not improve... :icon_vomit:

I would not put any megaswill such as tooheys or CUB in this catergory, they are not disgusting beers by an means, boring and like a funeral in your mouth maybe but disgusting no. They are well made and for the most part not offensive.

I respectfully disagree, you must be a heavy smoker not to be able to taste the yeast :)

I used to drink cascade light on a saturday arvo, playing snooker at the RSL, as it was the only beer they stocked that was drinkeable, sadly since been taken over it now reeks of that musty shit. The only beer they have left that I can stomach is Boags, this too has the shit flavour yeast but has a reasonable malt profile that makes 1 or 2 just about drinkeable.

Pure Blande.

Alcoholic, beer coloured water. Why bother?
Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum :icon_vomit:
For my money (at the moment) it is the Hahn Superdry 3.5%.
It's a toss up between VB and West End. :beerbang:
Seriously? Bland beer is the worst you guys have tasted? Consider yourselves very lucky.

WorstBrewingDisasterEver.JPG

Years ago for the uni club we had this beer as the mouthwash beer (aka palate cleanser) before a beer appreciation night and a good half of the tasters poured theirs out in disgust, including a head brewer from a major megaswill brewery. It was the second attempt at this beer just in case it was an off batch the first time around, but this beer holds the record for lowest rated at the uni club. Absolutely foul. Incidentally, I still have a bottle that will one day be unleashed on someone who thinks there's no such thing as a bad beer. <<shudder>>

I remember a micro-brew beer I had in the UK that was foul. A dodgy batch - the replacements they provided were superb.

Unfortunately I then managed to recreate the dodgy batch with my third extract beer, so I guess the worst beer I've ever tried is my own! My quality control has improved markedly since those dark, early days. :icon_cheers:

An extract beer I brewed 3 or 4 years ago.

Consisted of 3 kg of LDME, bittered and flavoured with stale POR flowers and a Fuggles teabag.
Underpitched a starter of Coopers yeast grown (not very well) from some stubbies.

It was horrible, very horrible, awfully horrible.
This brew was very much instrumental in moving me onto AG brewing.

Back