Whats The Worst Beer You've Ever Tried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just goes to show the differences in ppl's likings.I tried a Williams a couple of weeks ago and thought it not too bad an effort,not world class,but still not bad :icon_cheers:

Actually i'm pretty sure it was a dud bottle or batch... got huge whacks of what i thought may be DMS... or even oxidation. Probably bought at Dan's or First after sitting in the sun for a few weeks.

I will try again as i thought it possibly couldn't have been that bad

Fosters Light Ice, 'cellared' in my dads beer fridge for about 3 years, and then drunk because it was the only beer left. Ewwwwww

Unobroue
La Fin Du Monde

Bubble gum beer that I had to force down. Then had the taste stuck in my mouth for the next day.

I have had some bad home brew at club meetings, eveh poured one out. They are not as memorable as that one.
C'mon, you make it sound like it's... The End Of The World!

boomtish

Red Stripe. I'm not sure if it had travelled badly but it would be about the only beer bar my own that I've had to tip out.

Millers Chill is pretty bad also.

just goes to show the differences in ppl's likings.I tried a Williams a couple of weeks ago and thought it not too bad an effort,not world class,but still not bad :icon_cheers:

+1 Toper, I tried it last week & felt the same.
It's problem to my mind is that unless you make them yourself I dont think you can get speciality malts of the organic variety. The malt tasted quite grassy to me which was ok but the lack of complexity left it a bit on the bland side, the yeast tasted like coopers at a lower temperature (without the fruity esters). I guess calling the beer organic is a big part of the marketing, shame they couldnt add some vienna or something.

Or Lucky Beer?
This beer isn't fantastic, but it's far from unpleasant if you ask me. Bonus points for the bottle (assuming I'm thinking of the right beer).

Bought a mixed sixpack from a NSW micro last year that were comparable to knk beers.
There's an at least one SA microbrewery that churns out beers that have flaws I would expect a knk brewer to move past sooner or later.

Red Stripe. I'm not sure if it had travelled badly but it would be about the only beer bar my own that I've had to tip out.

Millers Chill is pretty bad also.
I don't mind Red Stripe at all, between pints of something better of course. I might suggest poor handling in that case. Gets a 'decent' on BeerAdvocate (compared to 'avoid' for VB).

I tried Chill in the USA before I heard of it here, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Didn't get past a sip. That was back when radlers were hard to find.

I'll add to the list Jamieson's Raspberry - despite apparently having real raspberries, still tastes like it's got lolly water added.

had a becks at a party once that smelt like poo, and tasted like what i imagine recycled toilet water would taste like.. dont know if it was infected or skunked, but needless to say it was the first and last becks i ever had.

"Last night I dreamt I drunk the world's largest margarita, and when I woke up this morning there was salt on the toilet lid. Good thing I didn't eat the worm in there..." Larry the Cable Guy :)

Memorably bad beer moments:

Warm Chang in Thailand
PBR - shared a sixpack of cans with a homeless bloke at 3am in Santa Cruz, CA (embarassingly enough he was buying)
Resch's Real and Toohey's Red in my youth - it was cheap
Tennant's Super in London from a dodgy little corner store at 1050pm after being booted from the pub
And a bottle of someone else's Corona at midnight last Sunday after the guests had left and I had run out of LCPA - why did I think that was going to be good?!?

There's a pattern here: desperation, I should really avoid having those beers when there's no other choice.

+1 Toper, I tried it last week & felt the same.
It's problem to my mind is that unless you make them yourself I dont think you can get speciality malts of the organic variety. The malt tasted quite grassy to me which was ok but the lack of complexity left it a bit on the bland side, the yeast tasted like coopers at a lower temperature (without the fruity esters). I guess calling the beer organic is a big part of the marketing, shame they couldnt add some vienna or something.
+1 jack,A very good description Not a world classic ,but the lesser of many evils lurking in the fridges of bottlos <_<

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=50083 hands down

Capture.JPG

The worst ive had is from a brewpub in Adelaide. Bought pints (Adelaide pints luckily) for me and a mate. The barmaid asked if i wanted to try a sample beforehand, i declined thinking itll have to be alright. We both had a few sips and left 95% of the pints. I went and bought another round (different beer) right then.
This is the only time i remember that ive bought a beer at a pub and not drunk most of it.

I've had other beers at this pub before. most are okay (nothing to write home about) but this one must have been infected. Worse than the 8year old K&K beers i found in my sunroom a few years ago.

I had a Bali Hai Beer when I was in Bali this past November, It literally smelled and tasted of wet dog (well what I'd imagine wet dog would taste of)
I also had the misfortune of drinking a Three Kings Lager last week. I'm not even sure if it's beer. I did keep the empty bottles though! Black Glass?!? Hell YES! Gonna put my next big beer in them :)
Mitch

VB without doubt

went to party , only stuff there

went home without a drink

they gave some away from liquiland last week , thats how good it is

dans have more sense offering James Boag

Boags Classic Blonde - One in the fridge at work and I was desperate after a long day. Shouldn't have gone there.

Bud Light & Coors - Drank them in the US stupidly because relatives there were - after trying them, I asked them why the stuff was allowed to be called 'beer'.

Hammer & Tongs - Someone else mentioned it here. You've brought back the night terrors for me now that I remember drinking that.

Moteith's Radler - Stupidly thought this was a new beer when I saw it on tap in Auckland CBD. Horrible experience trying to smile and finish that one. Should have stuck to Monteith's Black or Golden Ale.

Coopers 62 Pilsener - I love Coopers. Can half understand why they launched this 'green bottle' beer. Wished they hadn't. Cut apple flavour that makes you want to stick it back in the fridge. Watched non-brewers ignore a case of it at a party and fight over a handful of Crown Lagers instead. Enough said.

In short, there are bad examples of beer out there, and good. Just as well the good outweigh the bad, or I'd give up drinking!

Hopper.

My first AG. Terrible. Only brew I've ever thrown out.

South Seas pale ale....

Was in a bottlo on the Gold Coast over xmas looking for anything BUT megaswill....to not much avail apart from Dan's....

Thought it was worth a try as its NOT a lager in a clear bottle........

A few sips in and down the sink it went....walked back to the beer fridge and reached for my father in laws Tooheys extra dry as he chuckled "That fancy heavy beer no good son?"

Hardly helped me prove a point....

Give me a clean, bland beer any day of the week over one with a rough ferment character. Miller Lite pushes this a little too far though, tasted like 1/3 light beer and 2/3 soda.

I will nominate the infected micro or borked homebrew as the absolute worst.

I think the worst non-infected beer is probably where someone has followed Cooper's kit instructions down to a tee... underpitching, simple sugars, and fermenting at 35 or whatever it recommends.

ED: I recently had some 'Perth shed window aged' Corona which was pretty spectacularly aweful.

A long long time ago, a brewery in Rockhampton used to turn out a" beer" labelled simply as "Macs"..
I can`t tell you how shocking it was, so won`t even try. :(

Back