Whats The Worst Beer You've Ever Tried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Tennant's Super, but I reckon it's definitely pipped by Skol Super :icon_drunk:

PomsgobadLarge.jpg

It prompted me to try my own versions of 9% supers and I did a really nice one (see my avatar) but I woke up one day begging in a mall with a four day growth and no knowledge of how I had got there :unsure:
The Tennants i had was absolutely foul,phenolics,fusels,medicinals.And some micros are bad,but not like tennants :icon_drunk:

I would not put any megaswill such as tooheys or CUB in this catergory, they are not disgusting beers by an means, boring and like a funeral in your mouth maybe but disgusting no. They are well made and for the most part not offensive.

Microbreweries, whilst many make the best beer it is also microbreweries who make the worst undrinkable beers going around, infections and sometimes just down right shit brewers, no need to name and shame anyone but I would happily drink VB or super dry over a few of the microbreweries beers.

I respectfully disagree, you must be a heavy smoker not to be able to taste the yeast :)

I used to drink cascade light on a saturday arvo, playing snooker at the RSL, as it was the only beer they stocked that was drinkeable, sadly since been taken over it now reeks of that musty shit. The only beer they have left that I can stomach is Boags, this too has the shit flavour yeast but has a reasonable malt profile that makes 1 or 2 just about drinkeable.

I'm with Jayse on this one...and I don't smoke. No they are not nice beers, they are bland but they are well made beers and consistent. I don't like VB or west end or carlton draught but I'd drink them ahead of some of the appalling micros I've had. No need to name and shame the bad ones but there are more than a few. Thankfully well balanced by the good ones.

had a becks at a party once that smelt like poo, and tasted like what i imagine recycled toilet water would taste like.. dont know if it was infected or skunked, but needless to say it was the first and last becks i ever had.

Any radler or lemon/lime beer(montieths radler/miller chill/barefoot radler etc), the citrus additions always taste fake. Have not accidentally tasted a good one yet.

oh and a beer i had in Japan called Hitachinos nest (the red one).. had ginger, strong vinegar taste and all sorts of shit in it and tasted like sweet and sour sauce.. come to think of it all the hitachino beers were ordinary but that one was foul.

I'm with Jayse on this one...and I don't smoke. No they are not nice beers, they are bland but they are well made beers and consistent. I don't like VB or west end or carlton draught but I'd drink them ahead of some of the appalling micros I've had. No need to name and shame the bad ones but there are more than a few. Thankfully well balanced by the good ones.

Cool RK, I guess it's individual taste buds / perception. I dont regard VB & the likes as bland, the yeast flavour to me is downright offensive & sickening. Obviously not everyone tastes the same & even if they do, it doesnt mean they will like or hate the flavour compound equally.
I can accept that the rest of the beer is deemed bland; the malt flavour is... well what malt falvour, given that about 30% of the fermentables are mildura oranges. The hops are inoffensive too given the low bittering rate & lack of late hopping.

I agree they are consistent, that is primarily why I'm happy to label them the worst beers in the world. A single batch screw up can be forgiven, CUB do it deliberately....every time.

I did taste a beer that had oxidised hops in it once - bloody cats piss, but that was a one off batch of someones homebrew.

Have to be a couple of peoples home brew about 20yrs ago.
Worse i've tasted by a long stalk.

XXXX Summer..where's the hops?? <_< followed closely by barefoot radler.. :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit:

After a footy grand final our team had a party.
I had a can of SWAN ...dunno if it even still exists.
It tasted like an ashtray.

my last sip I got a ciggie but in the mouth..a rollie.

It was my coaches...he thought it was an empty can and put his but out in it..prior to that I'd had one sip.

But that was not my worst.

One of my recent brews was woeful...tooheys draught home brew can... 1 -10.

but even that wasn't the worst .
The worst was a black beer a guy at work made at one of those beer factory joints.
It looked like black ink and tasted like liquid vegemite.
0 - 10

There's a few that I can't split. Miller chill is right up there. I also can't stand budwiser. I think the one that tops my list was this beer my mate bought called ice or something. I can't exactly remember the name but it made me gag much to my mates amusement.

I can deal with vb and draught, I know they're not great but they are what they are.

Won a case of 88 Balls and couldn't give the stuff away.

Absolutely terrible

Also St Peters Honey Porter. Kind of like drinking a bottle of perfume.

I tried a can of that non alcoholic beer from the supermarket.

diabolical stuff.

I agree with jayse the megas don't deserve a bashing as the worst tasting beers, I like to get a selection of beers I've never tried from various bottle shops and the worst by far was called Patagonia from chile i had one sip and it went straight down the drain IT WAS VILE!!

Had a William's Pale Ale the other day... definite contender. Horrible, insipid stuff. Had to nod politely to the father-in-law who offered it up.

Hard to guess what the utterly worst is, An Archers longneck from thailand maybe? Or Lucky Beer?

Bought a mixed sixpack from a NSW micro last year that were comparable to knk beers.
Now before you jump up and down with "aw, but KnK is alright", I agree they can be alright, but imagine paying $20 for a mixed sixpack of mediocre knk.
Truly disappointing, especially the infected porter bottle.
Not even worth chasing up about.

Had a William's Pale Ale the other day... definite contender. Horrible, insipid stuff. Had to nod politely to the father-in-law who offered it up.
just goes to show the differences in ppl's likings.I tried a Williams a couple of weeks ago and thought it not too bad an effort,not world class,but still not bad :icon_cheers:

Unobroue
La Fin Du Monde

Bubble gum beer that I had to force down. Then had the taste stuck in my mouth for the next day.

I have had some bad home brew at club meetings, eveh poured one out. They are not as memorable as that one.

Back