What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When smoking a turkey for xmas lunch on xmas eve i decided on some baby back ribs for dinner that night. (might as well take advantage of all of the smokers space.)

low smoked w/hickory for 3 1/2 hours. :icon_drool2:

check-out the smoke ring on these bad boys!

photo.JPG

Partner is away so that means i cook shellfish.

Tonight it was an old favourite, blue swimmer crab spaghetti (sometimes linguine). :icon_drool2:

Blue swimmer crab meat, cooked
Chillies
Garlic
Olive Oil
Herbs (parsley, chives, oregano)
White wine
Cherry tomatoes
Cracked pepper
Spaghetti

I doubt i need to explain how it comes together. Quantities are to taste, you need loads of olive oil though.

chillicrabspag.jpg

Followed that up with some fresh boysenberries from the garden. Made a faux coulis (berries plus sugar plus a dash of lemon juice - normally mashed and used as a sauce, i leave it whole), some whipped cream and jobs done.

My sister made this on xmas day as a side.
It was a big hit.

I then made it for another BBQ and again it was a big hit.

It is meant to be a low cal rice salad.

doesn't taste low cal though.
enjoy.

Ingredients
2 cups brown rice (cooked)
1 bunch chives, chopped
1 bunch shallots, chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
3/4 cup currants
2-3 tablespoons slivered almonds
2-3 tablespoons unsalted cashews (half crushed)
2-3 tablespoons sunflower seeds

Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic

Last Wednesday we had a family reunion at my Uncles house and he got in a caterer to do Sri Lankan Hoppers.

They were bloody nice and went down well with a pork and lamb curry that you simply pour into the middle of the hopper.

There easy to make and a nice alternative to rice.

The pic is from a website, not mine..

IMG_0010.JPG

Katie, that's got my mouth watering, how does the recipe go?

cheers

Browndog

yet thar hin
(chicken curry with limes (burma)

3 tbsp vegetable oil (i use rice bran oil)
1tsp sesame oil
3 med onions finaly chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp ground tummeric
1 tbsp of ground coriander
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cloves
3 fresh kaffir lime leaves
4 boned and skinned chicken breasts
4 boned and skinned thigh
3 tbsp balachaung (if you cant find use chilli and shimp paste)
1 stem of lemongrass cut into 3
175 grams of can chopped tomatoes (im using fresh ones about 5 cut up)
1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
1 Tspn fish sauce
juice of 2 limes
salt to taste
1 lime cut into wedges for garnish......

mix oil and sesame oil together in a bowl, then transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and place over a medium heat, add onion and fry stirring frequently for 5 minutes.

Stir in garlic, tumeric and coriander, cinnamon sticks cloves and lime leaves... add chicken pieces and stir until they are well coated.

Add balachaung and stir fry for 2 minutes add the lemongrass and tomatoes, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

uncover the dish and increase the heat a little, add black pepper, fish sauceand lime juice. if mixture to thick add hot water.

Cook the chicken for 10 minutes more, adding salt if necessary. Serve the curry immediately or cook it further until the chicken is very tender and falling off the bones.

To cook curry longer cover the dish and place in oven preheated to 160c/325f/gas 3... cook for 20 minutes then reduce the temp to 110c/225f/gas 1/4 and cook for up to 1 hour if desired....

Remove the cinnamon sticks, cloves, limes leaves and lemongrass. Skim off some of the oil from the sauce and garnish with lime wedges to serve.............................

katie

Looks like a cross between a malay and thai curry.

it sure does does have thai influence the recipe says also. The Balanchuan is also used in Malay cuisene... its one of my favourites and heat from the chilli and sourness from the lime is awesome.. I hope you cook it.

Fig season is here so this morning i went out to the tree, picked a few and caramelised them in butter with a sprinkle of sugar.

Served in pancakes with a drizzle of honey. :icon_drool2:

No pics as i wolfed them down in no time.

Picked several buckets of plums last night for jam and sauce (and eating).

Definitely my favourite time of the year when the summer fruits are in plentiful supply.

Today's lunch, fresh mudcrab with dill mayo on a roll straight from the oven, washed down with a pint of house mid, chock full of saaz. Hard to handle........

DSC_1781w.jpg

so a belated post of whats was on the xmas plate at my folks place....the old man's an chef and Im spewing I didnt take pictures of the actual food. but read the menu and drool.
xmas_menu.jpg

aaron crackle is just ultra crispy crackle.

Steak and Murpheys stout pie with Dutch Cream tatters cooked in olive oil, thyme, garlic and balsamic vinigar and home grown beans, blanched then finnished in garlic butter, lemon juice and pecorino cheese.

YUM

stout_pie_dinner_renamed_4747.jpg

stout_pie_renamed_18326.jpg

Hmmm you may be able to smell my tea if you push your nose close enough to the screen.
Nearly all ingredients home grown/raised

Pork raised on milk washings, colostrum and veg scraps
Roast Potatoes, Kifler
Roast Carrots
Roast Sweet potato (import)
Roast Pumpkin (import)
Peas
Corn
Cauli

Desert will be strawbs and raspberries with cream (import)
How grown pork takes some beating, bit like home grown tomatoes, you realise what crap we are sold at supermarkets.

I'm going to get a smoker by the time next run of pigs is done so I can do my own hocks, ham, and bacon.
My cardiologist will shout me the smoker I'm sure.
Cheers
Chris

litegreencurry.JPG

This is my lite version of a green curry it was GOOD better then most resturants in Australia that make them wayyyy to creamy. Lots of heat, kaffir and basil....

Latest posts

Back