What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. I thought it was a variation on the spelling. Apologies for the aspersions you lot.

On my table is a slice of humble pie.

I did some research a while back and apparently its a regional thing. Sate/Satay (both derived from French) means the same thing - meat on skewers but the sauce used on said meat is different from region to region.

Cheers
Dave

I had a look at the Jimmy's and the ingredients list would possibly be a good start for having a crack?

Does have peanuts, soy sauce, garlic etc plus some crustacean type thing (maybe along the lines of shrimp paste) and oil. Also something I read suggested a long and probably slow cooking time.

Pfftf... peanuts in a peanut sauce? That's crazy talk.

Yeh, sorry, there's dry roasted peanuts in there too. If I had to guess amounts, I'd say...

handful of peanuts
1-2 cloves garlic
1 chilli (my kids don't like it too spicy)
1/2 tin coconut milk
splash of fish sauce
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
juice from a lime
splash of soy sauce

That's pretty much my go to recipe for satay sauce.

Definitely need the lime, and chili. I just about always chuck a bit of ginger in there as well as nothing beats a bit of ginger and lime combo. Plus a nice heaped teaspoon of red curry paste helps it along as well...

I will admit, if I cant be bothered blending it up, ill just chuck a heaped tablespoon of peanut butter in to thicken it up, along with a handful of dry roasted peanuts that have been slightly crushed in my hand for a nice little bit of mixed texture as you get some whole nuts, and others that have been nicely crushed.

Sponge

I had a look at the Jimmy's and the ingredients list would possibly be a good start for having a crack?

Does have peanuts, soy sauce, garlic etc plus some crustacean type thing (maybe along the lines of shrimp paste) and oil. Also something I read suggested a long and probably slow cooking time.

oh it does have peanuts....Just buy some its cheap as chips and last in the fridge for ever.... Changs brought one out (calling it the ORIGINAL SATE) pfttt! its not. I have not tried it and wont. I love my Jimmy paste.

I make a nice bbq prawn dish with it ... mmmmmmmm

I'm going to buy some next time I get paid and then have a crack at making something similar. It will probably end up nothing like it but I may still make a delicious paste/sauce.

Its not normal SATAY sauce its SATE sauce it was made early 70's in hong kong... my mother introduced it to me a long long time ago... You only use a teaspoon or 3.... its made of soy beans... (so its part of my receipe) Airgeard and Fourstar use it also....

of cause I can make my own satay sauce...

Ha! Geez Katie, I thought things had gotten desperate if you'd been buying satay sauce!!

I'll have a look for this next time I'm at the asian supermarket. Looks good!

ridiculously hot and humid in melbourne yesterday. so what does a typical aussie decide to make for dinner...yup roasts. nothing special just good honest food

free range chook marinated in olive oil, fresh sage and oregeno, and alittle lemon juice, with 2 wedges of lemon stuck in the cavity.
chook.jpg

roast kumra, carrots (from the garden) and pumpkin (from the garden). and of course obligitory green peas

nice kilo of silverside roast, marinated in red wine, garlic and rosemary
beef.jpg

and of course pan juice gravy :icon_drool2: nothing added to the pan yet in this pic. just pure pan juice. only had to add 1.5 tblsp of flour and some water.
gravy.jpg

Jeezus! It's 7am and I now feel like a roast! Nice looking bird there...

Jeezus! It's 7am and I now feel like a roast! Nice looking bird there...
its was from lilydale farm. it was a beautiful bird. i was stoked, kids devoured it. and only like $1.50 more a kilo than the coles brand birds which have no details on how the animal was kept and they (coles) birds looked a smaller and not as good colour wise as the one from lilydale farm. she was a nice 2kg bird.

Its not normal SATAY sauce its SATE sauce it was made early 70's in hong kong... my mother introduced it to me a long long time ago... You only use a teaspoon or 3.... its made of soy beans... (so its part of my receipe) Airgeard and Fourstar use it also....
of cause I can make my own satay sauce...
View attachment 52412

After having devoured close to 100 satay sticks whilst in Malaysia i wont go past anything but a malay satay and it has to be cooked over coals. No coals, no satay IMO. Much like having a Souvlaki cooked over coals compared to one over a gas grill. It just isn't the same. Also, if you use anything other than brown meat (thigh/drumstick) meat on your chicken skewers i'll come and hunt you down.

http://rasamalaysia.com/malaysian-sataynow...peanut-sauce/2/

This is a beautiful satay sauce but needs a little more sugar than the recipe states however its pretty much spot on. I also throw a dash of coconut cream into it after frying off the paste until the cream splits and continue with the recipe. The sauce should be distinctly sweet followed up by balanced spice/creaminess (least all the ones i tasted in Penang were.) :icon_cheers:

Another note, try satay with lamb bbq chops (the forequarter ones) diced up and on to skewers to compliment chicken ones. The best satays i had in Malaysia were the lamb/mutton ones at the hawker stalls @ gurney palza. Delicious! The sweetness of the lamb/mutton goes well with the sweet peanut sauce.

After having devoured close to 100 satay sticks whilst in Malaysia i wont go past anything but a malay satay and it has to be cooked over coals. No coals, no satay IMO. Much like having a Souvlaki cooked over coals compared to one over a gas grill. It just isn't the same. Also, if you use anything other than brown meat (thigh/drumstick) meat on your chicken skewers i'll come and hunt you down.

This is a beautiful satay sauce but needs a little more sugar than the recipe states however its pretty much spot on. I also throw a dash of coconut cream into it after frying off the paste until the cream splits and continue with the recipe. The sauce should be distinctly sweet followed up by balanced spice/creaminess (least all the ones i tasted in Penang were.) :icon_cheers:

Another note, try satay with lamb bbq chops (the forequarter ones) diced up and on to skewers to compliment chicken ones. The best satays i had in Malaysia were the lamb/mutton ones at the hawker stalls @ gurney palza. Delicious! The sweetness of the lamb/mutton goes well with the sweet peanut sauce.

Thanks for the link **** that sauce looks awesome, can't wait to try it.

cheers

Browndog

Sounds nice pretty much like I do mine...

I know what a SATAY sauce is... jeez

Preferably coconut husk coals at that. :)

the presentation of your food is just magic, if this is just for the family i hope they cherish you and if its for a restaurant i hope they pay you well it is enticing.

Thank you... That was a Monday night meal for the family... and yes I am cherished.

Watched Luke Nguyen's journey down the Mekong on thursday and he inspired me to fire up the kebab cooker and try his marinade, the kebabs turned out nice, but I think it needed some sugar and the beef was very lean, could have done with some fat, but overall, very enjoyable, will try it again.

kebabs.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Won't be on the table till tomorrow lunch when I show a newb how I brew beer but:

Roo Burgers

Diced garlic
Chilli
Oregano
Tasmanian mountain pepper
Tasmanian mountain pepper leaf
Short bacon (fine dice)
Red wine
Roo mince
Salt and pepper

Method: Place garlic and spices in cold pan with olive oil, season well. Keep heat as low as possible till aromatic, leave 10-15 mins, ensure no sticking or browning occurs. Add bacon, cook 3-5 mins.

Bring up heat till sizzling (but still avoiding browning or sticking) deglaze with red wine, allow that to come to a simmer and switch off heat. Allow to cool, mix through roo mince. Cook burgers with burger stuff like bacon, cheese, rocket, etc serve with yoghurt sauce on a soft burger bun.

Yoghurt sauce

Lemon zest.
Fine diced garlic
Chilli
Mint
Parsley
Fine diced cucumber (peeled and seeded if you are going to keep beyond a day)
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together, let sit for at least 30 mins for flavours to integrate, refresh with lemon juice if necessary just before serving.

Back