What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to ask for Katie's rib marinade myself. Any chance their is liquid smoke in it?

Sorry there are no pick....
Caviar and crisp Rye bread and a good cleansing pilsner followed by an absolute Vodka.

Why? The Finnish/Swedish heritage in food taste and celebrating that just managed to download Firefox on laptop.
TFC for progress

Lloydie passed the recipe on to me, Ill have to ask him if I can put it up. Liquid smoke that's a thought.

We always do the ribs in the oven and finish in the bbq with wood chips. We are actually making them tommorow as my little girl requested them.

The marinade is so easy! I couldnt beleive it when he showed me.

Here are before and after pictures of the dish I had for dinner last night. Unfortunately I had started to eat the meal when I remembered to take a photo so I added a bit more gravy etc but it still looks like a dogs brekky. That said it was absolutely delish!! The idea being to rip the tortilla in Quaters and put in a little goat, some salsa - looks more like guacamole really and some roasted corn wrap and eat.

It is a little embarrasing puting the after photo on as it looks.... well how it looks.

The recipe is - braised shoulder of baby goat in milk and saison with a mexican chilli base. I used dried chipotle, pasilla and guajillo chillis wiht roasted garlic, herbs etc to make a chilli sauce which I then fried the goat in before adding the milk and saison. It went in the oven at 140 for just over two hours.

braised_goat_before.JPG

braised_goat_dinner.JPG

Here are before and after pictures of the dish I had for dinner last night. Unfortunately I had started to eat the meal when I remembered to take a photo so I added a bit more gravy etc but it still looks like a dogs brekky. That said it was absolutely delish!! The idea being to rip the tortilla in Quaters and put in a little goat, some salsa - looks more like guacamole really and some roasted corn wrap and eat.

It is a little embarrasing puting the after photo on as it looks.... well how it looks.

The recipe is - braised shoulder of baby goat in milk and saison with a mexican chilli base. I used dried chipotle, pasilla and guajillo chillis wiht roasted garlic, herbs etc to make a chilli sauce which I then fried the goat in before adding the milk and saison. It went in the oven at 140 for just over two hours.

That sounds and looks really nice Merc. I love the flavours you get from cooking the meat in milk.
I do it with a loin of pork, so simple yet so tasty. The recipe I follow is from Marcella Hazen. Next time I cook it I will take a photo and post.

C&B
TDA

slow roasted loin of pork. was meant to be sholder but the butcher had run out. loin was cooked for about 6hrs. sholder would have been done for about 12hrs.

Marinade of fresh garlic, ginger, olive oil, sherry, chilli made the pork go a bit black, wasnt burned though.
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

I hate to say I ate almost all that crackle. ha ha Fents. none for you!
IMG_0167.jpg

Just falling off the bone.
IMG_0168.jpg

slow roasted loin of pork. was meant to be sholder but the butcher had run out. loin was cooked for about 6hrs. sholder would have been done for about 12hrs.

Marinade of fresh garlic, ginger, olive oil, sherry, chilli made the pork go a bit black, wasnt burned though.
View attachment 29810
View attachment 29811

I hate to say I ate almost all that crackle. ha ha Fents. none for you!
View attachment 29812

Just falling off the bone.
View attachment 29813

:icon_drool2:

Unfortunately I had started to eat the meal when I remembered to take a photo so I added a bit more gravy etc but it still looks like a dogs brekky.

Oh and its got nothing to do with drinking that bottle of wine before hand whilst preparing/cooking? Eh, Eh? :D

CM2 - how hot did you have your oven for the pork? Also, how heavy was it?

Would like to give it a go - looks yummy :icon_drool2:

Thanks,
Rob.

Just finished this off
Home made chicken Kiev with a creamy garlic sauce on top:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:
Picture.jpg

A picture of chicken Kiev is no good without an innards shot :(

A picture of chicken Kiev is no good without an innards shot :(
Did think about,then I thought who wants to see a half eaten kiev :icon_cheers:
Will get a pic next time I make these :icon_chickcheers:

CM2 - how hot did you have your oven for the pork? Also, how heavy was it?

Would like to give it a go - looks yummy :icon_drool2:

Thanks,
Rob.
it was only a baby loin ~3.2kg.
have oven as hot a it can go, then put pork in for 30min (skin side up) on a rack in a tray
then turn oven down to 120C, put skin side down, and cook for for as long as you want. I cooked mine for 5 hours.
th4n 30min before you want to eat it, turn the oven back up flat chat, flip the pork skin side up and that basicly heats up the pork and makes the crackle extra crackly.

now the tricl with pork is long and slow. but the meat must have fat on it to keep it moist. a shoulder is the best.. 9kg shoulder cooked for about 23hours. melts away in your mouth. if you using a loin there is a lot less fat so it pays to baste it every now and then.

then turn oven down to 120C, put skin side down, and cook for for as long as you want. I cooked mine for 5 hours.
th4n 30min before you want to eat it, turn the oven back up flat chat, flip the pork skin side up and that basicly heats up the pork and makes the crackle extra crackly.

Here is the way i go about making crackle thats almost foolproof. If you are handy with a knife, remove the skin before cooking, ensure you keep as much fat as possible on the meat (to keep it moist/protected). Scrape the skin side and underside of any particulate matter and excess fat and score the skin at a right angle across the shortest lengths (if that makes sense).

Rub with oil and salt (on skin side only) and any spices you desire, i usually go for fennel+chilli. Finally pop onto a roasting rack whcih goes on top of a cookie sheet/pizza tray or a baking/roasting tray, cover and forget about it.

Then marinaide the roast and roast the roast as you always do. :)

Whilst your meat is resting post-roast, crank up the oven as high as she can go, wait until it gets to temperature then bung in the skin. Leave it at full temp for around 20 mins, then drop back to 200-180deg for the remainder until done. You may need to adjust the temp depending on how quickly its browing so intermittantly check the skin. What you will find is it should start to curl up into a upside down 'U' shape, as it does any excess oil leaves the skin and it will dry out uber crackley. Perfect crackle every time.

:icon_drool2: Nothing else to say..........

Cheers SJ

If i need a quick fix, the local asian grocer sells pork crackle in a massive bag, munch that down with some beers.. awesome. got to love 'pork scratchings'! :icon_drool2:

Here is the way i go about making crackle thats almost foolproof. If you are handy with a knife, remove the skin before cooking, ensure you keep as much fat as possible on the meat (to keep it moist/protected). Scrape the skin side and underside of any particulate matter and excess fat and score the skin at a right angle across the shortest lengths (if that makes sense).

Rub with oil and salt (on skin side only) and any spices you desire, i usually go for fennel+chilli. Finally pop onto a roasting rack whcih goes on top of a cookie sheet/pizza tray or a baking/roasting tray, cover and forget about it.

Then marinaide the roast and roast the roast as you always do. :)

Whilst your meat is resting post-roast, crank up the oven as high as she can go, wait until it gets to temperature then bung in the skin. Leave it at full temp for around 20 mins, then drop back to 200-180deg for the remainder until done. You may need to adjust the temp depending on how quickly its browing so intermittantly check the skin. What you will find is it should start to curl up into a upside down 'U' shape, as it does any excess oil leaves the skin and it will dry out uber crackley. Perfect crackle every time.

I want picture proof fourstar.... We need pictures.. :icon_cheers:

Posted this in the "Nothing" thread as well, but it is tasting so awesome it deserves another post here, and well, it's on the table.

t9z52v.jpg

Back