What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be rich TDA. How much did a whole duck cost ya? I love duck so much I'm thinking about running them on my little 4 acre patch. Much yummier than chooks.

Mmmmm, chinese duck.

I 'had' to attempt this when living in the UK as i had asked my labmate to buy me a chinese bbq duck when he did his weekly asian grocery store run in nearby Newcastle.

He misunderstood me and came back with a frozen duck, not cooked.

Took me most of a day - steaming then roasting the duck and just didnt look anything like what it should.

TDA - yours looks amazing. Drooling just looking at it.

I am too lazy these days and just buy one pre-cooked. At $28 each it isnt cheap. Whats your secret?

Mmmmm, chinese duck.
I 'had' to attempt this when living in the UK as i had asked my labmate to buy me a chinese bbq duck when he did his weekly asian grocery store run in nearby Newcastle.
Took me most of a day - steaming then roasting the duck and just didnt look anything like what it should.
I am too lazy these days and just buy one pre-cooked. At $28 each it isnt cheap. Whats your secret?

Download a copy of 'A search for Perfection" episode on Peking Duck or watch on youtube. Really cool brekdown and history on making peking duck. the key is lifting the skin from the carcass for that crispy wafer thin skin. In the show, a renound Peking duck resturant uses a wood fire oven like a pizza oven for their ducks. The quick hot blast of heat seems to be the clincher for the ultimate skin along with a long winded freezing process. To test the skin for crispyness they throw a piece down onto a table from a pair of chopsticks and if it shatters like glass, its cooked perfectly! :icon_drool2:

Watch from about 5 mins in :

I think he talks about the need for it to hang while it cooks to help render the fat and keep it crispy.

Oh, you must eat it traditionally too. Skin for the pancakes only, save the meat and bones for a soup and stirfry! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great TDA. One of my favourite chinese dishes

Kabooby :)

Cheers Kabooby, for a first up effort I was reasonably chuffed. The Mrs and I scoffed the lot too! :icon_drool2:

You must be rich TDA. How much did a whole duck cost ya? I love duck so much I'm thinking about running them on my little 4 acre patch. Much yummier than chooks.

Hey Henno, duck was frozen and cost $18. It was from Luv a duck, I think they are based around Wimmera region but available at most supermarkets.

Mmmmm, chinese duck.

Dr S, I have made it my mission to try and perfect this dish but for a first up effort we were pretty bloody happy, and stuffed!

I followed a simple Jamie Oliver recipe :ph34r:

Wiped the defrosted 2kg duck inside and out with kitchen towel then rubbed salt to skin and inside.
Next I sprinkled Chinese 5 spice all over the skin and grated some ginger and rubbed inside the cavity and left it there.
Placed duck onto a wire rack and put that on top of a roasting tray and poured about 3/4 cup of cold water into the tray.
Pre-heated oven to 180C and the cooked duck at that temp for 105 minutes, then turned oven up to 240C for the final 15 minutes.
The upper part of the duck skin came out crispy for the most part but because the duck renders so much fat the bottom part of the skin doesn't crisp up. If you could fit the duck in the oven by hanging it up I think you may get crispy skin all over.

Next time I do it I am going to try Ken Hom's method which I watched on youtube.

Reckon we could organise a Handpump day with Peking Duck? :icon_chickcheers:

C&B
TDA

Dr S, I have made it my mission to try and perfect this dish but for a first up effort we were pretty bloody happy, and stuffed!

I followed a simple Jamie Oliver recipe

Wiped the defrosted 2kg duck inside and out with kitchen towel then rubbed salt to skin and inside.
Next I sprinkled Chinese 5 spice all over the skin and grated some ginger and rubbed inside the cavity and left it there.
Placed duck onto a wire rack and put that on top of a roasting tray and poured about 3/4 cup of cold water into the tray.
Pre-heated oven to 180C and the cooked duck at that temp for 105 minutes, then turned oven up to 240C for the final 15 minutes.
The upper part of the duck skin came out crispy for the most part but because the duck renders so much fat the bottom part of the skin doesn't crisp up. If you could fit the duck in the oven by hanging it up I think you may get crispy skin all over.

Next time I do it I am going to try Ken Hom's method which I watched on youtube.

Reckon we could organise a Handpump day with Peking Duck?
:icon_chickcheers:

C&B
TDA

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

First effort at Peking Duck.

Good to see this thread being used again.

Another trick with roast duck is to blanch the duck in hot water the night before. Then towel dry it and leave it in your refridgerator over night, this dries the duck right out. Then roast as normal. You will get very crispy skin.

Im just waiting on my new Gas Stove/oven (I have electic stove top and I HATE IT).... and you will see me on this thread again.

Duck is on the list!

Roast Pork with strawberry sauce will be done on Sunday. Hopefully photo worthy!

unfortunatly this is not my photo but its the leftovers from dinner lastnight:

Braised pork with egg and coconut juice (thit heo kho) :icon_drool2:

14680.jpg

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/28/Brais...thit_heo_kho%29

thats cheating

im not taking a crappy phone photo of a greasy lunch container Kaite :p

Mmmmmm i can still taste it.... coconut, soy sauce, pork and star anise. :icon_drool2:

im not taking a crappy phone photo of a greasy lunch container Kaite :p

Mmmmmm i can still taste it.... coconut, soy sauce, pork and star anise. :icon_drool2:

yum... your forgiven but next time photos.

Well done Katie, you get stuck into him mate and welcome back to my little thread. No fair with the commercial picks fourstar. It does sound bloody unreal though, I have a bit of a thing for star anise at the moment.

I've been a bit slack posting pics in here myself, I do have a few on a bit of a back log I have to put up.

My current joy is sitting in the freezer slowly going to sleep as we speak. 4 nice buck mud crabs! Will do two of them just boiled and 2 of them will be done in pieces in a sweet chili stir fry. I think they cost me about $4 worth of fuel, bloody rip off things they are :p

Well done Katie, you get stuck into him mate and welcome back to my little thread. No fair with the commercial picks fourstar. It does sound bloody unreal though, I have a bit of a thing for star anise at the moment.
I've been a bit slack posting pics in here myself, I do have a few on a bit of a back log I have to put up.
My current joy is sitting in the freezer slowly going to sleep as we speak. 4 nice buck mud crabs! Will do two of them just boiled and 2 of them will be done in pieces in a sweet chili stir fry. I think they cost me about $4 worth of fuel, bloody rip off things they are :p

Its awesome henno, bloody awesome. the best thign is the local Viet Butchers all stock female pork.. Clean porky goodness.

4 mud crabs aye... Singaporean Chilli Crab anyone?! :icon_drool2:

Yum. Im just really getting back into cooking now, but really unhappy with the stove but that will be sorted very soon. It's always being one of my favorite threads.

Its awesome henno, bloody awesome. the best thign is the local Viet Butchers all stock female pork.. Clean porky goodness.

4 mud crabs aye... Singaporean Chilli Crab anyone?! :icon_drool2:

Singaporean Chilli Crab is so so good!

Making a Red Curry Duck and Lychee Curry on Saturday night for a party. Ill take a photo if I remember.

On the table is two cooked muddies, behind them on the serving block is another two sweet chilli style. I am holding onto the two we got this afteroon and are still very much alive! The one on the left with the greenish claws almost got me a few times, he was mental until I gave him a nap in the freezer.

During the holiday season the drought had made them very scarce and the tourists got bugger all. Since then the rain here has been relentless and depressing and everything is mouldy from the humidity but the byproduct is the huge amount of fresh water has flushed them all down to the mouth of the creek to chase a bit more salinity. They are so prolific at the moment the locals are cleaning up. One guy I know got 24 in one day. It only took me a total of 6 hours pot soaking to get what's in this pic.

rawncooked.JPG
No, I'm not scratching my nose with his leg.

Ok... Its not mud crab but it was good -

Tiny baby golden nugget pumpkins stuffed with a spicy mince and lentil mixture. Served with home made tzatsiki and freshly baked pide.

small_IMG_3901.jpg

small_IMG_3899.jpg

The leftover mice got turned into some stuffed pide -

small_IMG_3902.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Good to see this thread being used again.

Another trick with roast duck is to blanch the duck in hot water the night before. Then towel dry it and leave it in your refridgerator over night, this dries the duck right out. Then roast as normal. You will get very crispy skin.

Similar to the method I use. I make up a chicken stock amd poach the whole duck gently in that for around an hour. It's then seasoned and roasted in a slow oven until golden (usually around 1 1/2 hours).

Delicious and non-greasy. You can ramp up the heat in the last 10 minutes of cooking to help crisp the skin.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm crabs

Top job on the muddies Henno. I have only ever got them by chance on line, slowly reeling them in. It is always a bit exciting to have something turn up that tries to relieve you of a finger or two :)

Ok... Its not mud crab but it was good -

Tiny baby golden nugget pumpkins stuffed with a spicy mince and lentil mixture. Served with home made tzatsiki and freshly baked pide.
Cheers
Dave
ummm Dave.....recipe please! sounds great.

Back