What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And breakfast -

Rye fruit bread (dried apricots, dried peaches, dried cranberries, sultanas, currants and almonds)

IMG_1139_1.JPG

Toasted

IMG_1140_1.JPG

Cheers
Dave

P.S - Henno - rye bread is hard to describe (other than fantastic). Its darker and coarser than all wheat bread and has a distinctive rye taste. Go forth unto the local bread shop and try some.

HEre is what i do with a Roast leg of Lamb folks.

I lay down several branches trimmed from my out of control rosmarry bush in the bottom of the backing dish. The lag then gets sat on this.

I cut small slits on the flesh and slide in slices of fresh garlic. A whold clove is put in the meat.

I then bust out he Morter and Pastle and bash up a handfull of roasmarry leaves, 6 black pepper corns, pinch of salt, 1 garlic clove, one table spoon of coriander seeds until its almost a paste. I then add a touch of olive oil so its like pesto. THis becomes the rub for the lamb. I spoon it on and rub it all over.

Baked at 170 deg c for 2 hrs and its still just pink in the middle........ I like em pink in the middle :)

Served with Veg baked with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and flowering thyme sprigs from the garden.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Rub:

RoastLambRub.jpg

The meat ready to be cooked:

RoastLambPreCook.jpg

The lamb ready to be carved: ( no pics after this..... feeding frenzy followed by all in house :))

RoastLambCooked.jpg

and the Veg ready for the Oven:

RoastVeg.jpg

cheers

homemade parmas again last night. no pics :( why didnt i take pics!

all of them as per usual (homemade napoli sauce, some ham then a bit of parmasan and then cheese), except a few trial halves that were mine.
1 x jimmy sate sauce instead of napoli
1 x harissa mixed into napoli, with fried ham and a fried egg on top + cheese + corriander :beerbang:
1 x bbq napoli (bbq sauce and napoli) + cheese

ate the left over for breaky this morning. just needed a breaky beer to go with it :ph34r:

Quick question, How do you prepare brussel sprouts for such dishes? How well should they be cooked?
I have been steaming them for awhile then cut in half season and fry in butter and olive oil briefly. I have no idea but they certainly come up better then how my grand mother used to cook them which I used to think were barely edible.

I came to this party a little late but one thing I've done with sprouts yesterday is mash up a little salt and garlic in some olive oil, toss the sprouts in it, then roast them in the oven. They are beautiful roasted, even without the garlic oil tbh.

This is a green chicken curry I make. I picked it up from tele or a book or somewhere that I can't remember, and it's been prostituted a bit, but it's freakin' awesome... :icon_drool2:

PA150119.JPG

In the whizz are;

two handfuls of green Basil
three handfuls of Coriander
three stalks of lemongrass tender bits
knob of ginger
6 green chillies, stalks removed only (chilli wusses should use only 3 and de-seed) Green Cayenne work well if you dont want a lot of heat, or Jalapenos if you're a chilli nut
five cloves of garlic
zest and juice of four limes
four kaffir lime leaves torn up
6 spring onions
palm full of coriander seeds roughly bashed in a mortar and pestle
measure of olive oil, enough to make it pasty when blitzed, but not too runny and oily (usually 1/4 cup)

PA150120.JPG

Then cut this many breasts into about 8 or so large cubes

PA150122.JPG

Cover in a bowl with the paste and fridge for at least an hour

PA150126.JPG

Toss all the contents into a wok that is smoking hot with a tbsp or two more olive oil

PA150127.JPG

when the chicken is slightly browned, pour in a can of coconut cream and simmer for at least 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked

PA150128.JPG

Serve on Jasmine rice and garnish with coriander and pistachios

Enjoy!

That looks beautiful :icon_drool2: , might have a crack at that if I have time over the weekend

Folks

I forgot to take pictures so please forgive me. You will just have to imagine the awesomeness.

The missus turned 40 this week but due to illness (kids with earache and her with stomach bug) we couldn't do a party. Finally everyone was well tonight so I lashed out -

Entre -

Scallops and prawns pan fried with garlic. Flamed in brandy then a few spoons of creme freche and some parsley to make a sauce. Served with wedges of lemon. (To drink - a nice dry sherry)

Main -

Rib eye roast of beef, basted with rosemary, garlic and redcurrant jelly. Started over the coals in the webber then finished in the oven (my webber is the little portable rectangular jobby that doesn't do indirect cooking very well). A gravy of pan dripping, red wine and some more redcurrant jelly.

Served with roasted potato and sweet potato. Asparagus pan fried in butter and garlic. Ruby chard wilted with brown mushrooms.

The webber gave it an amazing charcoal flavour.

To drink - me a 97 Shiraz Cabernet that I have been cellaring for a special occasion. For her - a bottle of my boysenberry mead.

Dessert -

Rich chocolate cake topped with toasted almonds. Served with a glob of creme freche and a tiny twizzle of lemon zest.

To drink - a small glass of my apple and brandy liqueur.

*burp*

Cheers
Dave

Pork leg is roasting in the weber and the crackling is crisp , and veg are in the oven
Just about to wip up the gravy and do some fresh broad beans from the vegie patch

we are off the the pub for dinner tonight....... Mmmmmmmm Rib eye steak and pints of Guinness :)

I love Irish Pubs :)

cheers

HEre is what i do with a Roast leg of Lamb folks.

I lay down several branches trimmed from my out of control rosmarry bush in the bottom of the backing dish. The lag then gets sat on this.

I cut small slits on the flesh and slide in slices of fresh garlic. A whold clove is put in the meat.

I then bust out he Morter and Pastle and bash up a handfull of roasmarry leaves, 6 black pepper corns, pinch of salt, 1 garlic clove, one table spoon of coriander seeds until its almost a paste. I then add a touch of olive oil so its like pesto. THis becomes the rub for the lamb. I spoon it on and rub it all over.

Baked at 170 deg c for 2 hrs and its still just pink in the middle........ I like em pink in the middle :)

Served with Veg baked with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and flowering thyme sprigs from the garden.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Rub:

RoastLambRub.jpg

The meat ready to be cooked:

RoastLambPreCook.jpg

The lamb ready to be carved: ( no pics after this..... feeding frenzy followed by all in house :))

RoastLambCooked.jpg

and the Veg ready for the Oven:

RoastVeg.jpg

cheers

MMMMMMM yeah!!, we often do a lamb roast like that, minus the rub. Next time i think i may pinch that rub recipe.

Been watching what goes into the ole bod lately, so my most inspiring thing lately has been garden salad with some garlic prawns thrown on top. Very healthy, if you use veg oil to marinate the prawns in, and not too much. Most of my lunches are tuna, with a green salad and a splash of balsamic. Im ten kilo's lighter though so it does pay off :icon_cheers:

When i next do the kransky and cabbage, i should take some pics.

Following schooey's post I got inspired and decided to make green chicken curry for lunch this week. As I had half a jar of curry paste left over from last time.. I did a "partial mash" with some chillies, ginger, spring onions, lime, coriander and basil. I still didn't end up with nearly as much green-ness as schooey's, and it looks like there is WAY too much oil, but meh, it's tasty.

last night - 2doz smokey bay oysters

View attachment 32256

got half way through and decided to try something new, beer battered oysters

View attachment 32257

in all my excitement, I forgot to flour the oysters before dipping them in batter, I thought they were nice but most of the batter didn't stay on the oyster

:icon_drool2:

love my oysters, could eat them by the bucket load!

On my table tonight will be a Sri Lankan Chicken curry. Will post some pics.......

Folks

There's been an absolute orgy of cooking over the last couple of weeks (I've been too slack to get the photos off the camera so you get this all at once)

Red braised beef with rice and caramelised shallots -

IMG_1144_1.JPG

On the plate

IMG_1145_1.JPG

Peppered kangaroo with tomato and kale gnocchi (tonight's dinner)

IMG_1150_1.JPG

And some of SWMBO's baking -

Rich chocolate slab cake with dark chocolate icing

IMG_1142_1.JPG

And the same cake, round this time with a topping of toasted almonds

IMG_1148_1.JPG

IMG_1149_1.JPG

Edit - Spelloing

Boy there's some good looking meals in here.

SWMBO usually writes out a menu for the week and does the shopping for it, but we're going to start trying some of these dishes.

As exciting as I got last night was roasted chicken drumsticks and packet pasta :lol: :blink:

BBQ rosemary salt lamb chops, BBQ potato slices,veg and fresh bread. no pics cause i ate it too fast. god i love chops.
chinese style marinated chicken 'nibbles', fresh asian greens and some mash on saturday.

Folks

There's been an absolute orgy of cooking over the last couple of weeks (I've been too slack to get the photos off the camera so you get this all at once)

Red braised beef with rice and caramelised shallots -

View attachment 32272

On the plate

View attachment 32277

Peppered kangaroo with tomato and kale gnocchi (tonight's dinner)

View attachment 32273

And some of SWMBO's baking -

Rich chocolate slab cake with dark chocolate icing

View attachment 32274

And the same cake, round this time with a topping of toasted almonds

View attachment 32275

View attachment 32276

Edit - Spelloing

Mate could you please share the Peppered Kanga Recipe?

cheers

Back