Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
summer_ale_2.jpg
Ross's summer ale - awesome on a hot day.

When i was in Belgium , met up with German friends who were ignorant to the bliss of Trappist beer.

I got him to try a couple and they sent me this pic, he has decided he is in love with Rochefort.
They zipped up the autobahn, if i remember right a bit over 4hrs @ 240km/h to fill the wagon...needles to say i am jealous. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Rochefort_in_boot.jpg

Hibiscus Weizen - A nice dry tart summer thirst quencher

6367230955_70f828691a.jpg

My first all extract beer. Base wezein beer is fantastic, could not be happier. Recipe went as follows:

1.5kg dry Bavarian wheat malt
1kg Extra-light DME
100g Carahell. steeped
25g of Tettanger at 60min
2L starter of WY3068 at 17degC
Upto 20L
OG 1048, FG 1011, ~5.4%ABV

Siphoned off 9L after 9 days into a cube containing hibiscus tea (45g hibiscus flowers, 100g dex, 1L of boiling water, steeped for an hour).

That looks extra tasty Stew, lovely colour.

1.5kg dry Bavarian wheat malt
1kg Extra-light DME
100g Carahell. steeped
25g of Tettanger at 60min
2L starter of WY3068 at 17degC
Upto 20L
OG 1048, FG 1011, ~5.4%ABV

Siphoned off 9L after 9 days into a cube containing hibiscus tea (45g hibiscus flowers, 100g dex, 1L of boiling water, steeped for an hour).

Wow, looks great and sounds intriguing. What does hibiscus taste like? Also why the dex into cube...carbonation in cube?

Sounds like he is doubling his hibiscus infusion with bulk priming.

My Cyser - with cloudy apple juice and some local raw honey.

DSC00269.jpg

tipped a lil yeast in.. sloppy hand

Wow, looks great and sounds intriguing. What does hibiscus taste like? Also why the dex into cube...carbonation in cube?

Hibiscus tea tastes a bit like raspberries, but much more acidic and tannic. It is used alot in the Middle East where they load it up with sugar so it ends up tasting like Cottee's raspberry cordial. It really works well in combo with the wiezen, gives it an acidity that makes it even more refreshing.

In regards to the dex I used it to make sure that the ferment was still active. I want to make sure that after transferring it to the cube it is still producing enough CO2 to reduce the risk of inbound nasties. It may strip some aroma/flavour from the hibiscus but its not so subtle that it matters.

shit mate...... it would be flat by the time i get there :)

I have already 'cut your grass' so I guess I could 'mow your lawn'....

BTW: Beer looks farking sweet mate!

:icon_cheers:

So that explains why my missus finds me disgustingly repulsive and always has a headache :(

Cheers, mate!

So that explains why my missus finds me disgustingly repulsive and always has a headache :(

Cheers, mate!

No mate, she does find you disgusting and she does have a headache.....

Have the best line for here... but will not...... post it... to harsh.....

Love you and your ESB too...

[ESB: Few posts back]

CasMOcade.jpg

My first "beer on tap".
My "CasMOcade" SMaSH - APA with 120g of Cascade @ 5 mins (no chill) and marris otter. Yum!
Crash chilled and gelatined. Clear enough for me, and my megaswill mates. It's forming condensation on the glass, or would look even clearer.
Unrelated qusetion. Do people posting pics of crystal clear beers, filtered or otherwise, take pics or warmer beer, or just wipe the glass clean (of condensation) before photographing?

CasMOcade.jpg

My first "beer on tap".
My "CasMOcade" SMaSH - APA with 120g of Cascade @ 5 mins (no chill) and marris otter. Yum!
Crash chilled and gelatined. Clear enough for me, and my megaswill mates. It's forming condensation on the glass, or would look even clearer.
Unrelated qusetion. Do people posting pics of crystal clear beers, filtered or otherwise, take pics or warmer beer, or just wipe the glass clean (of condensation) before photographing?

Yeah looks pretty to me. How good is your first keg of beer? I still like bottle conditioned just as much but kegging is awesome.

My fridge sits around 4.5 degrees, the couple of beers i have shown i have wiped down then taken then pic.
Of course a good cheat(as if you would be bothered) would be to let it warm up more, wipe down the glass with windex cloth, then reinvigorate the head with a " pocket sparkler" aka syringe.

Latest posts

Back