Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks LRG.
Thank you for the tips Beer4U.

Yep, something about having own beer on tap. :) I do still enjoy bottled beer - I spend waaaay more @ bottle shops and online than I do over the bar. I just find kegging much less of a hassel. I'll still bottle some myself - to mature, or to take away / party's etc. In fact I bottled a batch today, as I was advised I will struggle to find a decent bottle shop in or near Merimbula when I go there after xmas. I'll be taking a few bottles of bought beer (Chimay, Les Trous Mouskatieres, etc) to share with my BiL for NYE, and 3-4 dozen of my own - a DGSA, and a tasty AIPA to get me through the fortnight I'm up there.

Spork,
My beers sit at 6 deg c & like Beer4U I just give the glass a quick wipe before clicking the camera.
Bloody nice looking beer for a first kegged effort. :icon_cheers:

Ugly Arnie Mk3 APA, gelatined & BrewBrited (if there's such a word?).
Ugly_Arnie_APA_Mk3.JPG

TP

That looks great! I love the Coniston Bluebird Bitter, any chance of a peak at the recipe?

Andrew, here it is. Keep in mind this is very loose. I think Bluebird might use Dark Crystal, but I could be wrong. This was for a mate who's moved here from the UK and nominated Bluebird as one he particularly liked, but he hasn't been around for a comparison yet :)

These are my notes from the Protz 300 beers to try before you die book on it...
I think I read on their website that it was 5% crystal, but I could just have easily pulled that number from somewhere...
The EKG in my recipe is just because I had a bit left to use up...

I think to make this beer the key is just a little crystal, something with a little flavour, and plenty of challenger, but it has been a long time since I tried the beer...

Notes:
------
Challenger hops. Touch of crystal. 36-38 IBU. 21-22 'unit's of colour

Recipe: Bluebird Bitter
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 26.00 l
Boil Size: 34.00 l
Bottling Volume: 26.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 17.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25.00 g Challenger [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Challenger [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.1 IBUs
15.00 g Challenger [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.2 IBUs
20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 11.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 7 -
3400.00 g Pale Malt, Maris Otter Floor Malted (Tho Grain 1 93.2 %
200.00 g Crystal Heritage (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 Grain 2 5.5 %
50.00 g Pale Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (70 Grain 3 1.4 %

My first beer for the warmer weather that i hope is approaching? :huh:
APA - bittering Simcoe, Falconers Flight @ 10 and flame out.

Only pitched the yeast (Wyeast Greenbelt re-culture) on this one 15days ago, kegged this arvo, tasting a little green/grassy still but i am really enjoying the falconers flight hop blend, very interesting indeed. Great aroma, loads of citrus, slight minty/floral thing, hints of peach, i think il get a better grip on the taste in a week or 2.

APA.jpg

Bloody hot, humid arvo for brewing.
Luckily there is a new batch of Grisette on hand - slightly citric, definately Belgian and 5.3%.
gris.JPG
Nice (and everything was over 6% :rolleyes: )

+1 on that it does look inviting.............. :icon_drool2:

IMG_8995_resize.JPG

Roggenbier v2.0 (v1.0 got infected)
Recipe I got off one of Tony's Roggen threads

Camera picked up all the grubby paw prints from the top of the glass <_<

Roggenbier v2.0 (v1.0 got infected)
Recipe I got off one of Tony's Roggen threads

Camera picked up all the grubby paw prints from the top of the glass <_<

nice, i love the roggens and it's been too long between drinks, what percentage rye did you go with ?

Yard

:super: yeah baby thats what im talkin about :)

My last one in the keg started out ok but went south..... wasnt happy with it (hence why you never got a bottle sent yard sorry)

It really is a great winter beer to be honest....... but hell...... that looks great!

BIAB is good for rye me thinks! My 3v system hates the stuff

This is a golden ale sort of beer I got from Manticle on my recent trip to Melbourne.
This is tettnang version and it is going down a treat on a humid summer evening here in Brisbane (I know technically it is spring but summer starts early up here...)
Clean sweet malt, almost a hint of honey in the malt character, good supporting bitterness.

THis is the sort of beer that should be given to people to show them that so called lawnmower beers don't have to be devoid of flavour (I know that's not an attitude that is very prevalent on here but you know what I mean...)(then again I've just realised I don't think I ever got the % from him so this could be a 6+% ale for all I know :). Doubtful though...)

Anyway, all this typing is distracting me from pouring the rest :)

I realise the picture is out of focus a little but I liked the way the bubbles looked.

View attachment 50429

a humid summer evening here in Brisbane (I know technically it is spring but summer starts early up here...)

:icon_offtopic:
Humid????? :blink: Just a nice mild spring day up here Ben & still wearing my NRL jersey + singlet to keep the evening cold out.
What's that they say about the heat & the kitchen? :blink: :p

TP

One of my mates from Cricket (who is a wheat farmer) gave me some wheat a couple of weeks ago. So I brewed a beer for the cricket team with it. It is a 50/50 split of wey pils and raw wheat. I used Hallertau for bittering and also added a fair bit to the cube to try and get some flavour. I fermented with 1388. It's been in the fridge cc'ing for a while and I've finally got a spare keg. I wasn't sure about this one as it was quite dry and had a herbal flavour when I tasted the samples from the fermenter. I was tempted to dry hop with some galaxy. I resisted and kegged anyway this morning and I am really pleased with it. I hope it lasts long enough to share with the boys!

carp_ale.JPG

At the end of another enjoyable brew day & I am savouring an English Bitter bottled 18 months ago :drinks:

IMG_2371_sm.JPG
In the fading light it looks as dark as a porter...

IMG_2375_sm.JPG
but with some evening sky behind it to light it up a bit we can see it has a nice dark reddish hue

Back