Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and 10 minutes later..

IMG_1181.JPG

Seriously the nicest beer I've ever created..

MORiwakaSMaSH.jpg

First SMaSH.
First time brewing "my own recipe".
Good aroma and flavour.
Good head retention and lacing on the glass.
Could be brighter, but not too bad (IMHO).
Pretty easy to drink.
Happy.

My first extract, a wannabe S&W Galaxy Ale. Ended up CC'ing it for 2 weeks as it was cloudy from the fermenter, but in retrospect it was a bad idea as most of the awesome passionfruit/pineapple aromas achieved by dry-hopping were pretty much lost (remaining volume that did not fit into the cube was bottled pre-CC'ing and had dominant aromas :icon_drool2: .)

Nevertheless, my glass seems to be empty a lot - like a reverse magic pudding...

Extract_Galaxy_Ale__resized_to_25__.jpg

First time uploading a 'what are you brewing' pic.
I love this beer and am sad too see it nearly finished. Oh well... brewed another ESB today with more hops, more crystal and more caramelisation!
IMAG0144.jpg

Here is another one of those crappy looking BIAB beers. :p

Its very close grain bill to Dr S light amber ale in RDB, i got better than expected efficiency, so mine turned out to be 4.2% and i used Centennial, Amarillo and 1272
Its got reasonable character for lowish ABV beer. :icon_cheers:

Amber_1.jpg

I rarely ( almost never ) drink out of a schooner glass, but i brewed an "aussie" amarillo pale ale, mainly for a yeast cake for a 10 minute AIPA, and it is a pretty nice easy drinking beer. I normally do an american wheat, or a UK blonde for an easy drinker, so its a little different for me, but im very happy to drink this while i wait for my koelsh to condition, and my AIPA to carb up ( bottle ).

Had to edit as i couldn't get them to load, but now figured it out!

Try another way. Carrying of from another thread about US05 and diacetyl, this beer has a honeyish like aroma, but i used 8% TF pale xtal, and also 3% of aromatic malt. I really like the aroma and flavour malt wise ( hops are pretty bloody good too! ), so im not sure if tis diacetyl, or the aromatic malt. Either way i really like it. I dont get a similar aroma when i brew UK ales, and i brew shitloads, so i think its more likely the aromatic. Who knows. Fun to find out though!!

Aussieale.jpg

azzieale.jpg

I reckon it's TF FM malts that give the perception of diacetyl (real or imagined). It's fantastic in APA, that little bit of mouthfeel accompanies the hops nicely, IMHO.

I don't get that same slickness with Bairds malts.

Goomba

I use TF FM MO a lot and dont notice it in UK ales. But an APA is different. From my beer soaked memory i normally use BB pale or pils malt for my APA's though so you may be onto something there. Im still leaning towards the aromatic. I haven't used it much in UK ales yet.

having a morgan old kit with goldings hops.

Not to bad but missing the coffee taste i am after :(

Mates like it though down to 10 long necks and been in the bottle since the 28 sept

%3 pommy pale with a very large shit load of goldings at flame out, no filtering, no gelatine, no care B)

PA290013.jpg

cheers

Yard

Kohatu Pale Ale

Wey Ale Malt and 30 IBUs of Kohatu @20 minutes.

IMG_2684.jpg

Nick, how did you find the Kohatu? My LHBS has it in and am keen on using local hops (im kiwi)...

Cheers!

nice, your recipe ?

cheers

Yard

Details from beersmith below. I ended up using dried peel from 4 navel oranges for the orange peel. I'd like to get some bitter orange peel for the next one. It's ok, but I think it needs another week or 2 in the bottle and some warmer weather.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 55.80 l
Post Boil Volume: 46.80 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Bottling Volume: 38.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 13.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 47.1 %
4.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 2 47.1 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 3 5.9 %
40.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [5.30 %] - Boil Hop 4 13.6 IBUs
40.00 g Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 5 -
30.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperatu Step Time
Mash In Add 24.17 l of water at 70.1 C 64.4 C 75 min

My aussie pilsener with it's beautiful head lacing the glass...... :beerbang: :beerbang:

Aussie_Pilsener_1.jpg

American Barleywine...almost made another one of these after tasting but decided to leave it for the next brew. this one is almost 2 years old now I think.

SNC00355.jpg

Bo Pils...looks good but a little grassy

SNC00354.jpg

with 3 kids under 5 a barleywine for breakfast is necessary...and 9am cn feel like its after 12 B) .

Latest posts

Back