Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rapidly becoming my favourite beer B)

Schwarzbier

Schwarz.jpg

done from Jamils recipe in BCS but I have a little more Choc in this one.

Yard

Looks great i have one on tap atm using recipe from Beers Captured, bloody nice beer

Scotsman

English Special Bitter
English_Special_Bitter_004.JPG
I have had beer on tap for about 8 months now and this is the first time I have filled my Stein.

Yardy.......... simply stunning mate, both of them. LOVE :wub: the glass!

I do hope you can share what you dumped in the mash tun :)

I notice a lot of ales and darker beers apearing as it cools. Im the same, have a 22 ebc bitter chugging away on 1469. Oh i cant wait.

cheers

cheers

Yeah Yardy, love that glass. It shows your beers off to perfection. :icon_cheers:
Should have waited for my Irish Red Ale to warm up a little before taking the pic but it was 4 o'clock on the Sunday arvo & the footy was starting.

TP
Irish_Red_Ale.JPG

And another Red, keep them coming :icon_drool2:

Strongarm.JPG

A tribute to Cameron's of Hartlepool Strongarm. Camerons are a strong independent regional, if you ever watch Heartbeat which is filmed on the North Yorkshire Moors adjacent to Teeside, check out the pub scenes and you will see Camerons Pumps.

A dark red ruby ale, not quite a Yorkie, not quite a Scottish. Brewed on Teeside, a smooth mellow caramelly dark quaffer after a hard day at the I.C.I. factory or the shipyards and around 4.4 % abv

Camerons have a proprietory yeast and the UK forums tell me you can't get it but I used 1768 for a finish as smooth as a baby's bum.

Edit: basic recipe courtesy Dennis Wheeler: "Brew Your Own British Real Ales"

View attachment 27077

A tribute to Cameron's of Hartlepool Strongarm. Camerons are a strong independent regional, if you ever watch Heartbeat which is filmed on the North Yorkshire Moors adjacent to Teeside, check out the pub scenes and you will see Camerons Pumps.

A dark red ruby ale, not quite a Yorkie, not quite a Scottish. Brewed on Teeside, a smooth mellow caramelly dark quaffer after a hard day at the I.C.I. factory or the shipyards and around 4.4 % abv

Camerons have a proprietory yeast and the UK forums tell me you can't get it but I used 1768 for a finish as smooth as a baby's bum.

Oi Bribie! It's "What's in the glass" NOT "What's HALF in the glass"! Now go and skull that half and take another picture with a FULL glass this time. Scheeesh!!

Looking mighty awesome there Bribie. I love Red Ales! What was the recipe?

Chappo

Duly skulled :icon_drunk: I've made 2 batches side by side.

3000g Maris Otter
500g Polenta
200g Dark Crystal]
100g Carafa T3

66 degrees 90 min

500g inverted sugar

50g Challenger Pellets 90 mins or 60 mins (see below)
15g Styrian Goldings 10 mins

Wyeast 1768 English Special Bitter

20 degrees.

I'll bring two bottles to the next BABBs meeting for a taste test:

One batch was done with a 90 min bittering addition.
The other batch 60 mins

To prove a point. Then I'll have to retrieve the thread wherever it is and bump it with the results. :icon_cheers:

View attachment 27077

Edit: basic recipe courtesy Dennis Wheeler: "Brew Your Own British Real Ales"

Bribie,

You are fast becoming the font of all (Pommy) knowledge. I was an avid fan of Heartbeat when it was shown here but spent my time during the pub scenes checking out that dollybird barmaid (Forget her name?) instead of the hand pumps.
Where did you get that book from?

Oh yeah, the beer looks great mate. :icon_drool2:

TP

cheers

Yeah Yardy, love that glass. It shows your beers off to perfection. :icon_cheers:

thanks fellas :beer:

that Schwarzbier is a bloody amazing beer, i've probably said this before but this is the best beer I've brewed :icon_chickcheers:

Yard

Pete:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

And do a search on Real Ale. The author is Graham Wheeler, not Dennis. Dennis is another guy on a UK forum and I keep getting them mixed up. It's about thirty bucks and mine arrived in four days. He doesn't go too much into specific yeasts and malts, but with our knowledge on this forum we can usually fill in the gaps and choose something suitable for the various recipes, for example Golden Promise versus Maris Otter, the various WYeasts etc etc.

Cheers
Michael

and my Vienna Lager, the Schwarzbier was thrown onto the yeast cake from this

Vienna.jpg

brewed with equal amounts of Pilsner, Munich and Vienna Malts

Cheers

Thats a great looking beer Yardy, what yeast did you use?

Rook

Thats a great looking beer Yardy, what yeast did you use?

Rook

gday Rook,
thanks mate, i used S-189 (24gm) at approx 8*C from memory, 150ml of the slurry from the Vienna went into the Schwarzbier

Cheers
Yard

Pete:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

And do a search on Real Ale. The author is Graham Wheeler, not Dennis. Dennis is another guy on a UK forum and I keep getting them mixed up. It's about thirty bucks and mine arrived in four days. He doesn't go too much into specific yeasts and malts, but with our knowledge on this forum we can usually fill in the gaps and choose something suitable for the various recipes, for example Golden Promise versus Maris Otter, the various WYeasts etc etc.

Cheers
Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the link & info.

Cheers,
Pete.

friedensfeld_alt.jpg

My version of a Northern German Alt, Friedensfeld Alt. I know it's not the appropriate glass but I don't care. :p It's tasting mighty fine regardless.

looks great newguy, an Alt is a style that I'm looking fwd to trying in the very near future ( along with all the others.... :D )

Thanks! The recipe took me ages to perfect, but I'm finally happy with the result. It's very smooth and it was very popular at my last club meeting. Actually it was really popular at my wife's work BBQ last weekend too. It always feels good to hear the genuine surprise from mega lager drinkers when they take that first sip of homebrew. ......And they keep coming back for more....and more....and more..... ;)

Newguy, what hops did you use in the ALT? I did a case swap ALT Last yeay and I used all Spalt Hops. Initially very spicy which mallowed. Definately an acquired taste early on. Not all bad, but........I don't know if I would do it again. I think I will try the Tetnang when I do another.

Back