Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Vienn-ale

attachicon.gif
inglass Viennale.jpg

Vienna, Aurora, Mangrove Jacks New World Strong Ale

Lashed Whale

attachicon.gif
inglass Lashedwhale.jpg

MO, wheat malt, Aurora, Pacifica, US-05
How do you find aurora? I haven't tried it ye, but it sounds interesting.

Aurora is called "Super Styrians" but it's actually a different variety. From Slovenia that used to be South Styria during the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
So I guess that apart from hops such as Saaz from the West of the Empire the breweries would use hops from the South of the Empire (Styria) as well. Aurora goes great in lagers and as an aroma touch in ales such as TTL.

A few of us bought a couple of kilos from Ross recently as they are on clearance.

Bribie G said:
Aurora is called "Super Styrians" but it's actually a different variety. From Slovenia that used to be South Styria during the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
So I guess that apart from hops such as Saaz from the West of the Empire the breweries would use hops from the South of the Empire (Styria) as well. Aurora goes great in lagers and as an aroma touch in ales such as TTL.

A few of us bought a couple of kilos from Ross recently as they are on clearance.
Oh, I thought it was Gladfields Aurora malt, didn't realise there was a hop with that name as well. Interesting.

An on-the-fly, by-the-thumb hoppy black ale that Yob and I did a few weeks ago, entirely hopped with Belgrave Brewer's Victoria, Chinook and Cascade. A crapload of torrified wheat just to test limits and see whether it really adds nutty flavours above 10%, Gladfield American Ale, Brown malt and some secret sauce. The colour comes from 5% Black Patent added on top of the mash in the last 10 minutes. It worked really well, and left a lovely coffee flavour during ferment. Still needs more time to settle. The torrified wheat left a ton of texture. Next time I'd do a protein rest, or just do a wheaten stout a la Wootstout.

The first pic shows a glass poured 10 minutes before.

IMG_8220.JPG

The second shows how many drinks to the bottom of the glass :) On glass number two (at 7.5%) I lost track, but there it was, written on the side of the glass.

IMG_8221.JPG

Saturday smasher from the country trading store my first crack at all grain , slightly undercarbed at the moment and I overshot ABV was supposed to be 4.6% but ended up 5.2% and had issues with grain in the boil on the grainfather , will double check the bottom plate next time. Picture doesn't do it justice it ended up nice and clear and tastes bloody fantastic so one happy brewer at the moment . Big thanks to all that have answered my newbie questions the last month or so ..............cheers to you :beerbang:

Capture.JPG

There was a tiny bit of D2 left in the jar. I put it to good use in a milkshake. So damn tasty.

EKG Harvest Ale with a few fresh flowers from a small second harvest

med_gallery_7015_1311_33589.jpg

med_gallery_7015_1311_11190.jpg

Made a clone of Bass Pale Ale from BYO recipe, added only 50 gram of roasted barley and it came out quite dark, never drank this last time I was in UK, is it a darker beer? Put 5 litres in the cask and bottled the rest, bottled turned out great but the cask something to behold.
001.JPG

Batch no. 6 from August last year.

Glad I kept a couple bottles as it turned out quite nice.

wp_ss_20170309_0001.png

A tenich dampfbier watching the sunset while cleaning the pool in still, 22°C weather. Weather as good as the beer.

Stuff you forum for now allowing me to attach a pic on an edit, sentiments ruined. Still a good beer.
1489058626552.jpg

Amber lager, with solely Falconer's Flight.
Pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Amber ales done as a lager are definitely different. The malts are, not surprisingly, drier - so the biscuity element comes out more, not much on the caramel/toffee front. Hops maybe a little subdued. A more sessionable Amber, basically

Fwiw, FF is a well rounded combination: tropical fruity & citrusy with a resiny dank background.

Apparently Vale do the same Amber lager with FF, so I should try to get a stubby to compare.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489225183.109408.jpg

Post mowing pale ale.

82% ale,9% Supernova, 9% wheat. A touch of Columbus @ 60, mosaic and a smidge of centennial @ cube, 2.5g/l mosaic keg hop. 40 something ibu.

Delicious!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489284388.919260.jpg

Post-post mowing American Red.

Can't remember % but ale, Munich, med crystal, dark crystal and a touch of roast malt. Chinook 60 & cube, no dry hop.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489285173.294039.jpg

Rocker1986 said:
Hey mate, yeah no worries. I don't know how close it is, I'll have to go up the street and get a real one when the big keg goes on tap soon. I've already gone through the little keg which that glass was poured from. I suspect mine has more IBUs and a little more hop character than the original.

Grains
3.500 kg Pils Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 86.1 %
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 4 1.2 %
0.015 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 5 0.4 %
**0.500 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 8 12.3 %
90 minute mash at 65C.

Hops
25.00 g Cluster - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.5 IBUs
20.00 g Cluster - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.8 IBUs
75-80 minute boil

Yeast
1.0 pkg Danish Lager Ferment at 12C, usual lager schedule. I used a starter for the yeast.

**Dissolved in water and added with 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0410 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0042 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 25.3 IBUs
Est Color: 9.2 EBC
cheers mate. i'll get around to it eventually...but can't til we buy a place :(

Labourers ale, in celebration of the youngest brew brat, born @ 2:54am 11/3/17, 2.7kg, she's tiny!

1489305791571.jpg

Latest posts

Back