Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saison and bloody happy with it. Hallertau Mittelfrau in the kettle, Hallertau Blanc in the cube and dry, WLP590 French Saison critters making the magic happen. Lovely - crisp and dry with a hint of white wine in the aroma.

Update: Did this as a four-way split batch, just cracked a bottle of the second which has Sorachi Ace as the cube and dry hop. Very nice beer also, restrained nose but very crisp lemon and pine accent to the saison yeast taste. Also oak/timber, if I didn't know better I'd almost swear this one had seen a barrel.

Screenshot_20170325-154040-01.jpeg

earle said:
Kettle soured red

http://cdn.aussiehomebrewer.com/uploads/albums/gallery/album_1311/med_gallery_7015_1311_40828.jpg

Edit: sorry can't figure out how to embed image on mobile.
Taste as good as it looks?

For attaching images, hit the "Full Version" button at the top of the page and then you can use the "More Reply Options" button to write up your post and attach the image. Once you're done and submitted the post there'll be a "Use Mobile Version" down the bottom left of the page to go back to normal mobile. Should be able to do the same thing to edit your post and attach the pic if you're keen enough.

Meddo said:
Taste as good as it looks?

For attaching images, hit the "Full Version" button at the top of the page and then you can use the "More Reply Options" button to write up your post and attach the image. Once you're done and submitted the post there'll be a "Use Mobile Version" down the bottom left of the page to go back to normal mobile. Should be able to do the same thing to edit your post and attach the pic if you're keen enough.
Yeah, tastes pretty good. Its no Rodenbach but its pretty good. Doesn't have the same complexity as a proper flanders red but drinkable in a fraction of the time. I'm going to have a go at blending it with a small amount of red wine, probably shiraz, to see if that can add some more complexity.

earle said:
Thanks, on the PC now so I'll add the photo properly.

med_gallery_7015_1311_40828.jpg

Wow looks great Earle. What ph did you sour it down to?

Thanks, was aiming for 3.5 but ran out of time and had to get the second boil going so only got down to about 3.65.

Reckon you could post the recipe earle? That's a fine looking beer!

do you ever drink one of your homies and think mmn yes now this is tasty, what did I put in this? you go back to your recipe and look at the grain bill or hop bill and think to yourself or even say out aloud... dafuq!? since when have i gone back to using ale malt in an APA atyle? I dont think i used ale malt at all in this... but do I trust the now me or the back at the time me?

ah feck it

some kind of fruity ale that's just starting to shine now 6 weeks in, pity it's the second keg of 2 and half gone

That looks wicked Droid, making me thirsty.
Did it take long to compose the shot or is beer photography something that just comes naturally to you?

cheers bro!

basically, I have a spot which works pretty good so I pull the chair out, pop the shed light on (which is a spotlight in the corner) and yeah that's it

mofox1 said:
You'd hope so.

All up, 468g hops for an end result of a 19L keg (no extra bottles from this one). That's around 24 - 25g /L.

Is a keg of good beer worth the cost of a whole pound of hops... #betchasweetassitis.
holy crap! what's the recipe mate? mind sharing? (if only to look at the hop additions haha)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490870875.010929.jpg

My first stout. Partial grain adaptation of Dr Smurto's. Lacking some head but the body has built up nicely since March when I bottled it. Happy with the carb level. Beautiful chocolatey coffee like flavour.

Imperial IPA

WP_20170330_17_26_58_Pro.jpg

This went way over target gravity of 1.074 and was 1.085. with a mash of 65c I got attenuation with US05 @ 18c to 1.010, so the final ABV is 9.6% :blink:

I was targeting 8% but fortunately the insane amount of hops meant its pretty balanced. Sure would of been more aggressive on the palate at 8%

Malts - 97% BB Ale, 3% Medium Crystal - EBC = 15.5

Hops:
FWH Warrior - 25ibu
90m Columbus - 15ibu
45m Amarillo - 25ibu
30m Simcoe - 40ibu

WP for 20mins 6g/L - Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo & Simcoe - 30ibu

Dry Hop 1 - 6g/L - Simcoe, Cascade & Columbus
Dry Hop 2 - 6g/L - Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo & Columbus

no picture but just wanted to say I've got a magic keg going on here. Swear there were about three pints left in her when I gave it a lift-test last week. It just keeps on giving...

Coodgee said:
no picture but just wanted to say I've got a magic keg going on here. Swear there were about three pints left in her when I gave it a lift-test last week. It just keeps on giving...
Now that you've said that you'll blow foam on the next pour. My condolences.

Latest posts

Back