Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my Friday pint after work :D

Base Jumper Ale 4% and 20ibu

Malts - Ale, PIls, Vienna & Wheat 25% each
Hops - Galaxy & Mosaic WP and Dry Hop
Yeast - M44 Ale from Mangroves @ 18C

Refreshing is the best descriptor!

InstagramCapture_afbf8d8e-afd7-4f22-be78-d9a237c034f9.jpg

technobabble66 said:
Congrats, dude.
Great excuse for a celebratory ale!

Did you name her after hops or malts?
Ella? Maris?
Simcoe?
Mosaic?
Yeah it was actually my wifes suggestion to name her after hops, we didn't want a silly celebrity style name so we named her 'Aurora-Galaxy'.....

WP_20170224_16_47_10_Pro.jpg

These were consumed over the past few weeks and been lazy to not take pics of each one.

A bit about each beer

Hop Wired NZ IPA - 100% Nelson Sauvin, very tasty smooth bittering - gooseberry aromas. - yes buy again.

Kaiju Metamorphisis IPA - well this didnt really live up to the story on the label. unsure of the bittering and overall not much chop - wont buy again.

Little Brewing Co Motuere IPA - got this for a try of that hop before brewing with it. a bit to much crystal for my liking, good beer - wont buy again

Two Birds Pale Ale - a very tasty crisp ale, good aroma and clean, understandable why its selling well at the brewery - yes buy again

Batch Brewing West Coast IPA - for a beer they have made for a number of years, seems a bit dull and not as west coast as west coast IPAs are - wont buy again

Sauce Extra Hop IPA - had some solid resin flavours mixed with a good dose of crystal - wont buy again

Stone Ripper Ale - excellent quality, great aromas and clean ale, certainly filled with hops - yes buy again

Clown Shoes Wammy #2 IPA - made with all aussie hops ella, vic secret and enigma - why cant our brewery's do IPA like this??? - yes buy again

HOPE estate XPA - very bright pale yellow and crystal clear, really enjoyed this beer, good middle ground from pale to IPA - yes buy again

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger - amarillo and mosaic aroma :icon_drool2: just bursting, well backed up with typical US made IPA - yes buy again

Alesmith IPA - for the love of god, THIS IS IPA - perfection!! I could drink this everyday

Mornington Hop Culture Session IPA - pretty decent low abv ale, good hop aromas and flavour - yes buy again.

:super:

2nd All grain brew a Mango Pale Ale
Not normally my type of beer but thought I would try something a bit different.
Subtle taste of Mango but for me the bitter taste takes over which is a shame , more to do with how long I whirpooled at the end than the recipe (still learning)
It came in just shy of 7% but no strong alcohol taste, should have been about 5.4% so a bit to work on, and after just finishing 8 night shifts a few of these will knock me on my arse for sure.
All in all 2 all grain brews down 1 one was a cracker and this one just shy of the mark for me...........................nice and clear though

Capture1.JPG

Guess I'm the first to start drinking on a friday arvo ;) stone and wood clone, 30g galaxy in the cube, 90g dry, oozes stone fruity goodness, bloody delicious.

1489728932842.jpg

Went for a 2:1 Apollo Colombus combo to push the dank. I'm not sure why Apollo hops arent sold in Australia, because it's a great multi purpose, high alpha hop. Well suited for IPA

Deepest Dankest XPA

OG 1.058
IBU 58
SRM 8
ABV 6%

70% Gladfield Pale Malt
17.5% Munich
8.7% Wheat
4.3% Dark Crystal

20g Columbus @60
10g Columbus @10
20g Apollo @ 10
20g Apollo @ cube hopped
10g Columbus @ cube hopped
15g Columbs @ dry hopped
30g Apollo @ dry hopped

As the name implies, it's deep orange, and it's dank AF, with hints of pine and citrus.

AA++ Would brew again

One of the first few pints of this year's rhubarb saison.

Third time it's been brewed now and oh so good. Also fairly consistently around 8 weeks to ferment despite a massive pitch and eruptive krausen over the first few two days.

Belgian Saison yeast, reportedly a slacker, but I've recently begun to suspect the pH drop by adding 3 to 4L of rhubarb liquor might have something to do with it.

Any way, top drop on hot day.
1489907227768.jpg

Phoney said:
I'm not sure why Apollo hops arent sold in Australia, because it's a great multi purpose, high alpha hop. Well suited for IPA
Agreed, great hop. I'm sure I have seen it in Oz, just not heaps.

Maybe it was NHB that had it?

And now a Red Rye IPA.

25% Rye, and bursting with Chinook, Citra, Cascade, Galaxy and Belgrave Brewer's Victoria hops.

Freakin' delish. Bursting with orange citrus and so much fruit. Solid dank.

Double dry hop with galaxy, Citra, Cascade, so no, this beer will not clear with time. I'm okay with that.

1489910420349.jpg

Kingy said:
That looks and sound tasty mofo [emoji39]
You'd hope so.

All up, 468g hops for an end result of a 19L keg (no extra bottles from this one). That's around 24 - 25g /L.

Is a keg of good beer worth the cost of a whole pound of hops... #betchasweetassitis.

As in the sweet/sour liquid from simmering 3kg or so of (garden) rhubarb in water.

I did give the rhubarb liquor a taste... fnurken tooth stripping acidity.

Edit: full details probably a long time ago in either the WAYB 2016 or WINTG 2016 threads.

How do you know when your pacific ale has been in the keg too long?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490175931.325864.jpg

..... it goes crystal clear. Clearer than my pilsner in fact. Might add some flaked pats next time, my brain can't process it properly!

Back