Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feck it. Time for a beer.
Poo Brown Ale, from the July case swap brew in 2015(?):
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490940843.686518.jpg

A bit of red in the poo brown ale might be reason enough to see the doctor :p

4 pines pale on the left with clone on the right
DSC03357 1.jpg

Kit shit but nice.
Mangrove Jacks Classic Lager with malt and stuff plus my first use of Nelson Sauvin as a dry hop and then keg hopped with Cluster.flowers.
It's gunna get smashed.

image.jpg

Blending experiment with my kettle soured red. Plain, with Shiraz Cab and with tawny port. The one with the port tastes good but the port cuts the sourness too much.

med_gallery_7015_1311_24783.jpg

Fake lager, SMASH with Weyermann Pilsner and Galaxy flowers - MJ New World Strong Ale yeast.

wey smash.jpg

Extract S&W Pacific Ale clone, thanks to a recipe I found online by Earle with a tweak here and there. Pretty close, and the head retention is amazing.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1491292248.876499.jpg

And the lacing on the glass i haven't been able to achieve until now

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1491292566.160166.jpg

BKBrews said:
How'd it turn out? One of my favourite beers.
I'm pretty pleased with the outcome
Less carbonation in mine resulted in a flavour difference. the original seemed to have more of a citrus note which could be easily tweaked as I did not have much Amarillo for the recipe and didn't compensate with extra citra.

Lodan said:
A bit of red in the poo brown ale might be reason enough to see the doctor :p

4 pines pale on the left with clone on the right
attachicon.gif
DSC03357 1.jpg
What was the recipe? I have one on tap now that was brewed with all the hops they use except Amarillo, although the malts are likely different as mine doesn't have the depth of malt flavour as theirs does. It was not intended to be a clone though, I just figured the hops work well together. The beer isn't unlike 4 Pines in the hops side of it but it is delicious in any case; I don't think that keg will last particularly long :lol:

American Red Ale with all Belgrave Brewer Flowers- Cascade and Victoria. This was only in the keg for 30 minutes and was partially carbed in the ferment. Head turned out very nice- better than in this pic.

20170310_182643_resized.jpg

Droopy Brew said:
American Red Ale with all Belgrave Brewer Flowers- Cascade and Victoria.
Looks fantastic.
Recipe please, esp malts & yeast. Thanks!

What is your impression of the flowers? Both in terms of the individual flavour/aroma elements (& compared to the "commercial" versions), and also the differences in generally using flowers instead of pellets - smoother, etc?

Having done a few brews (only 10-ish) with solely leaf hops this is what I'd say. I'm sure there are more experienced folks who could speak to this. BTW, one of the brews was with Belgrave Brewer's commercial leaf hops, and they were fantastic. I don't hesitate to recommend them. I'm looking forward to brewing more with them as they become/if they become available.

My impression is that hop flavours in beers made with leaf hops integrate better with the malt flavours. I've only recognised this recently and would like to experiment more directly with this. It could still be poppycock. If this is true though, it could be used to advantage. For example, in balls-out hoppy IPA's, use pellets. In your favourite bitter recipe, use leaf hops.

I'm not inclined to cube hop with leaf hops after my last couple experiences. It seems the vegetal element of the hops comes through much more easily when cube hopping with leaf. This could be fine for something that you're going to age at least a couple months, as it definitely fades. However, too much hop presence faded in the last IPA I did, before the vegetal aspect got to a level I felt it didn't stand out.

That's all I can add at the moment. I hope to be doing more all-leaf brews in the future though, and continue learning about this.

Rocker1986 said:
What was the recipe? I have one on tap now that was brewed with all the hops they use except Amarillo, although the malts are likely different as mine doesn't have the depth of malt flavour as theirs does. It was not intended to be a clone though, I just figured the hops work well together. The beer isn't unlike 4 Pines in the hops side of it but it is delicious in any case; I don't think that keg will last particularly long :lol:
Here you go, Rocker

This is the recipe of my friend Dr Rudi. Pretty sure the hop was named after him.

I had to make some small changes (or delay making the beer). The local brewshop did not have munich II at the time so I used munich I. I had mangrove jacks us west coast so used that instead of US-05. Recommend completing the recipe as was originally designed

View attachment 96468

Hey Mardoo, thanks for your comments.
With my limited experience, i'd probably agree with you that the smoother impact of the flowers blend well into the malty elements straight away. Whereas the pellets seems to provide more hoppy oomph, but can be a little harsher (initially).

However,
Mardoo said:
...I'm not inclined to cube hop with leaf hops after my last couple experiences. It seems the vegetal element of the hops comes through much more easily when cube hopping with leaf. This could be fine for something that you're going to age at least a couple months, as it definitely fades. However, too much hop presence faded in the last IPA I did, before the vegetal aspect got to a level I felt it didn't stand out.
I'm not sure i'd agree with this (for my tastes).
It could be from a very limited experience with flowers, but i'd be tempted to say the opposite - that when cube hopping the flowers seem smoother to me with less vegetal by-product than pellets. The way i'd see it is that the vegetal flavour comes from all the "other" cell components/compounds in the hops material/tissue, and these are more "available" to dissolve into the wort if the hops have been shredded-up like in pellet form.
Another aspect to this theory is that the hops that have a reputation for being harsh (e.g.: Galaxy) are strains that have higher levels of these "other" compounds, such as tannins. So it should follow that for hops that are reputed to be less harsh there should be less difference between flowers & pellets, whereas something like Galaxy might show a greater difference between flowers and pellets (when used in boil, cube or dry).

I could be heavily biased in wanting to believe all this, though, in that the first few times i used flowers in the boil i found large amounts of the lupulin glands still in the flowers and on crushing them i got a huge aroma from them. I took it to mean this was lost potential i was missing out on. This occurred even after a 90min boil. So as a result of this, i decided cube hopping might provide a better chance of getting the most out of these flowers (due to extended high temp exposure plus generally a very long time sitting in the cube overall), combined with crushing the flowers a little prior to using them.
So given i already started down that path, maybe it has been my wishful thinking that gives me the impression the flowers in the cube are smoother.

Anyway, interesting to see how this comparison between flowers & pellets expands as we get greater exposure to flowers via the likes of Belgrave Brewer.

technobabble66 said:
Looks fantastic.
Recipe please, esp malts & yeast. Thanks!

What is your impression of the flowers? Both in terms of the individual flavour/aroma elements (& compared to the "commercial" versions), and also the differences in generally using flowers instead of pellets - smoother, etc?
I have been developing this one over a couple of years and is a closely guarded secret. But seeing as you asked nice:

68.5% Pale
16.5% Rye
7% Wheat
3% Crystal 60
5% CaraAroma

OG 1.056 FG1.014 SRM 12.75 IBU 40

Yeast either US05 or 1272.

Hops:
FWH with a medium AA hop (Cascade or Amarillo) for 30% IBU
10 minute addition a medium (Cascade/Rillo) and a high AA (Simcoe/Victoria- something with some pine) for 45% IBU
Whirlpool addition of med and high AA hops for the remaining 25% IBU calculated at 4% utilisation for abut 20 minutes.

If no chill then FWH for 30% and rest in the cube. I don't usually dry hop cos I have the whirlpool additions but if cube hopping I would chuck some in at 7 days as a dry hop.

Flowers- I would say similar to what Mardoo said. Difficult to describe but yeah they seem to be less in your face and more integrated than pellets. I like them.

If you brew it let me know how you go. I'm pretty proud of this one- it is a great blend of malt and hops.

Lodan said:
Here you go, Rocker

This is the recipe of my friend Dr Rudi. Pretty sure the hop was named after him.

I had to make some small changes (or delay making the beer). The local brewshop did not have munich II at the time so I used munich I. I had mangrove jacks us west coast so used that instead of US-05. Recommend completing the recipe as was originally designed

attachicon.gif
4 Pines.pdf
Awesome! Thanks mate, I'll definitely put that on the to brew list. It's one of my favourite beers at the moment. I have all those ingredients bar Amarillo and wheat malt. I'll put it into Beersmith and work it out to suit my usual 75% efficiency. Funnily enough, the pale ale I referred to came out at 16.5EBC as well, and the hop bill is similar too just without the 30 min Cascade addition and the Amarillo.

Droopy Brew said:
I have been developing this one over a couple of years and is a closely guarded secret. But seeing as you asked nice:

If you brew it let me know how you go. I'm pretty proud of this one- it is a great blend of malt and hops.
Thanks v much for posting this DB!
Most appreciated

Looks like a solid-but-simple red grist.
I'm a huge fan of reds and ambers, so I'm always keen to see recipes for them. Not sure about the wheat (not a fan of wheat at the moment) but I like the combo of Crystal 60 & caraaroma. That's 60L, I assume? If so have you tried it replacing the Crystal 60 with the paler ones or CaraRed? How did it compare?
I've got a Red NEIPA kinda thing fermenting at the mo' so the next red is a fair way down the list, but I'll let you know when it's coming up and if I use your recipe. [emoji6]
I've had some good success with the Better Red than Dead recipe, so I've just been looking at tweaking that for variants - they come out quite malty, whereas yours looks like it might have a more prominent caramel/toffee element, which is something else I like in certain reds. So definitely keen to explore that.
Plus I've got 5kg of caraaroma to get through [emoji57]

Stupid easy saison.

2 weeks in the fermenter.
2 weeks in the bottle.

My best yet.

Don't think I'm ever going back to all grain. This extract stuff is easier.

More costly. But easier. And still quite affordable.

1.2kg of LDME. With about 16L of water (Big W pot). Boil 100g Pearle hops for 20min. 50g Tettanager for 2min.

1 x 1.5kg can Cooper's light extract.
1 x 1.5kg can Cooper's wheat extract.

Tap water to 6 gallons.

1062 FG.

Pitched 2 packets Belle Saison at 35 degrees. Fermented around 28.

Some might save the $5.25 and pitch 1 packet but the starting gravity was fairly high. I've decided to spare the expense!

1012 FG.
6.5%

Tastes like summer.

Yeah, it cost $60 for 2 slabs. But it was easy!

I just put down a another recipe where I just boiled 100g Hersbrucker in 3L of water, added to hopped extract, for a ******* lager (using Nottingham). High hopes for that too!

Hops are cheap! Use lots I say!

Latest posts

Back