Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ok mate. I often have 2 drinks on the go too.

Hmmmmm whisky beer, beer whisky.

2cranky said:
My first Homebrew.
All grain APA.
Turned out quite dry - great on a hot day. Finished up at 6.2%
Hey that looks the bomb for first AG well done

6.2% might bring on you're name sake in the morning though

rude said:
Hey that looks the bomb for first AG well done

6.2% might bring on you're name sake in the morning though
Thanks!
My second one just came on last night.
APA again. This one much more hops - Cascade, Citra, Amarillo.
Taste is still dry but lots of fruity flavours and aroma. 5.5%

My third batch is in the fermentor - a Belgian wit. I didn't hit my OG so it might just be a half wit. :p

2ND APA.JPG

Aussie lager
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486628488.062481.jpg
Looks a bloody treat, quenches mild thirsts by visuals alone. Simple bill, but used California Lager yeast at 18°C (which is recommended) because that's all that was at my LHBS. Dry 1.004 finish. In the quest for CUB aroma I cube hopped 15g of PoR like a madman. Well all I can say is lesson learnt, never doing that again and now I have a keg of this rubbish to get through.

Speaking of Aussie lagers, I have a glass of my XXXX Bitter rip off going at the moment from my little ******* 10L keg. This was the surplus from the batch (about 7 litres), the rest of it is in a 19L keg that will be tapped down the track. This beer seems a bit more flavourful than the real deal from what I can remember of it but I'll do a side by side at some point out of curiosity. Not the best photo being at night but anyway. It's very refreshing in this hot weather, that's for sure!

IMG_1139.JPG

Did a bottle stock take a couple of weeks ago and in the mystery crate (the one at the back and under all the others) I found some heritage bottles.
The official records are lost but according to the rusty bottle cap this was the first bottle of my 6th batch: 1993.

The dust on that bottle is presumably some record of:
- Clayton (1)
- Clayton (2)
- Murrumbeena
- Rosebud
- San Remo
- Phillip
- Karabar

Opened with a satisfying 'phsssst'...as badly oxidised as you'd expect though.

med_gallery_30557_1283_516791.jpg
med_gallery_30557_1283_450756.jpg

Looks like my mum is going to have a bumper crop of raspberries this year. Im gonna have to brew something like this. I might try a raspberry wine too just for the hell of it.

Recipe hwall95?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487328689.143699.jpg

The last bottle I own of my 2014 quadrupel. Fermented using the yeast bay northeastern abbey for an experiment. Sensational. Dark berries and plums out the clacker

Some Dämpfbier in a small glass and then the 2nd show, consisting of a beer that Steve the Brewman advised me to drink ASAP.
20170218_194343.jpg

Celebrating with an RIS.

My first ever win/ribbon. This beer was Champion Beer of Show at the Gunning Rural Show today.
It might have been the only entry in the comp for all I know but I am claiming it!

As the 12th Man would say, "Prouder than a honeymooner's dick"

med_gallery_30557_1283_822052.jpg

funky apricot Saison not quite carbed up but close, good day for a fruity, funky beer that dries out in the finish...intense apricot, which was the plan

upload photos

Delicious ordinary bitter, no tepidity in sight @coodgee ;) will try and hold on to one for you until next club meet, missed it this week due to impending offspring!

1487997478346.jpg

Galaxy Pale Ale. Only a week in, still going to be handy to have 19L worth of this in bottles to get me through fat storage months coming into hibernation. Along with beers to be put doon tomorrie and later next week. Keen to see how Zorco's turned oot, this was a collab jobbie. Galaxy coming through strongly after carbing, barely showed up in hydro tests.

Pale 90.5%
Crystal Lt 4.25%
Carapils 5.25%^

Galaxy 1.1g/L @ 60mins
0.8g/L @ 30mins
1.1g/L @ 0mins

Mash @ 67C 1 hour

Any American yeast, I used WLP001.

Gravity 1.063 - 1.016 (this bottled @ 1.012).

ABV 6.2%

IMG_0716.JPG

Lawnmower beer time. NZ Pale Ale in the biggest glass I could find.

Gladfields American Ale malt with 5% caraboh. Mix of Pacific Jade and Motueka at fwh, flameout and cube for 35 IBU. Plenty (>4g/L) of NZ Cascade and Motueka as a dry hop.

First time using Motueka. Seems to impart a solid fruitiness, slightly orangey, for the flavour. Overall flavour is fruit, citrus & pine with a big floral citrus nose. Very happy with this one. Sort of like a concentrated feral hop hog.

Winning.

Back