Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
^ session ipas are in fashion.

What was your malt bill and mash temp bkb?
I'm really happy with it. Malt bill is:

67% Maris Otter
20% wheat Malt
10% medium crystal
3% acidulated

Single infusion mash at 68.

AmericanRye s.jpg
American Rye - My first attempt at brewing with rye (and my 1st time drinking anything with rye). Wasn't bad for a 1st attempt.

session ipa.jpg
Session (Rye) IPA - 5% rye, 5% Gladfield toffee, 8% Gladfield Supernova, 82% Vienna. Colour & sweetness are both a little to high for what I was aiming for - I will probably swap the toffee for gladiator next time.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485500310.020198.jpg
Vanilla bourbon stout. Been a bit over a year in the bottle. Confusing aroma, just getting much vanilla but a hint of the [Aldi] bourbon. Taste-wise it's pretty mellow - a bit of warmth from the bourbon and a hint of vanilla which lingers in the aftertaste. Not bad.

Brewed the 'hop hammer' from brewing classic styles, recipe based on Pliny the elder, never tasted Pliny but I sure am stoked with this. Very challenging beer to brew biab requiring a 'reiterated' (double) mash and lots of expensive hops.. would I do it again?.. definately.

0.8 kg Gladfield Ale malt
1.2 kg Pilsner malt
50 gram Roast Barley (cold steeped for 2 hours - then added to boil with 10min to go).
EKG can't remember how much, a little at 60 and a little bit more with 5 to go.

OG 1.43
FG 1.10

Made 12L wort, kegged 9.5L after boil.

Tasted a bit "yeasty" first couple of pours from keg, but after a couple of weeks has cleared up nicely. Very mild and easy drinking (almost a bit 'watery') but smooth delicate roast flavour. Good summer thirst quencher.

Hanging out near the port keg listening to supertramp and drinking a coopers clone but with s04 yeast and it's going down a treat [emoji106] I did buy 3 longnecks to grow some yeast up but I got lazy and drunk em. I've also got a keg on with same coopers batch but us-05 not as good but as it's a bit to clean. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485597172.849410.jpg
Edit: photo doesn't really show off the beer but the ambience is the enjoyable moment here.

Did a brew based on Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale recently
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/93648-what-are-you-brewing-in-2017/?p=1427989
Doing a side by side with the 'real' one
Mine on the left, theirs on the right

- Colour's a match, theirs is more cloudy but I did gelatine fine mine
- Original has that weird after taste that I've always gotten from S&W Pacific Ale which mine doesnt (which could be yeast related or a variation in their hops apart from galaxy)
- Original is slightly more bitter, despite my cube addition calc which should be higher (likely due to not cubing till ~85c)
- Mine has better galaxy flavour but I guess freshness has that advantage

Gun to my head and told I had to drink an entire kegs worth, I would pick mine every day :)

pacific_cale.jpg

SBOB said:

- Original has that weird after taste that I've always gotten from S&W Pacific Ale which mine doesnt (which could be yeast related or a variation in their hops apart from galaxy)
- Original is slightly more bitter, despite my cube addition calc which should be higher (likely due to not cubing till ~85c)

Gun to my head and told I had to drink an entire kegs worth, I would pick mine every day :)

pacific_cale.jpg
I did the same thing when I brewed my version of it - much preferred mine. I didn't bother fining it though, haziness was spot on but mine was a bit darker than the original, even using Gladfield US Ale Malt.

SBOB said:

pacific_cale.jpg
Did you dry hop sbob I've got ingredients on hand to brew up a pacific ale. (500gms of hops but)I've never tried a clone yet but I was thinking (46litre no chill batch) 100gms at flame out and 100gms dry hop.
Edit: yours looks great and sounds tasty

Kingy said:
Did you dry hop sbob I've got ingredients on hand to brew up a pacific ale. (500gms of hops but)I've never tried a clone yet but I was thinking (46litre no chill batch) 100gms at flame out and 100gms dry hop.
yeah, dry hopped for about 4 days before dropping temp and gelatine fining

and being a brew with only cube hops it was simple as (next time i'll add a few grams at 60 mins to up the bitterness a bit and make me feel like im doing something in the boil and up the cube hop grams as its definitely on the low bitterness side)

Kingy said:
I would just use whatever amount you need in order to get 22-25 IBU at flameout, then massively increase your dry hop. First try I dry hopped with 80g for a 25L batch. I have this in the fermenter again at the moment and I will be using 110g for the 25L dry hop. I used 40g at flameout.

Latest posts

Back