Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tahoose said:
Got a recipe donske?one of these is on the cards soon I think.
Certainly do.

IIPA 1 (Imperial IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.093 (°P): 22.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 10.00 %
Colour (SRM): 13.7 (EBC): 27.0
Bitterness (IBU): 105.4 (Tinseth)

88.89% Maris Otter Malt
5.56% Dextrose
4.44% Caramunich III
1.11% Acidulated Malt

1.5 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
3.8 g/L Centennial (10.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Chinook (12.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
3.8 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
3.8 g/L Centennial (10.9% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
2.5 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
3 g/L Centennial (10.9% Alpha) @ 14 Days (Dry Hop)
1.5 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 14 Days (Dry Hop)

0.5 g/L Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 120 Minutes (Mash)
0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 120 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Thanks, that gives me something to work off. I shouldn't look at this thread with one hour of work left. Has me licking my lips.

Tahoose said:
Thanks, that gives me something to work off. I shouldn't look at this thread with one hour of work left. Has me licking my lips.
I'll be doing version 3 of this beer soon, the malt bill I've settled on is equal parts MO and BB Galaxy, a bunch of dextrose and a touch of Caramunich III, I'll be going a bit harder on the hop additions adding in some Citra and touch of Amarillo, I'll be keeping at least half of the IBUs coming from a Simcoe FWH though, really like what that brings to a beer of this type.

This is a style I love playing with, it's such a huge beer that you actually get to taste the progression of the beer over 4 to 6 moths.

Donske I was thinking of maybe going with something similar to yours except upping the dextrose a little with the aim of it fermenting a bit lower, hopefully around the 1.012 mark

As for hops I have Amarillo, citra, Willamette, Nelson Sauvin, saaz and a couple of others on hand for now.

I suppose you'll have to have another glass to get your pour right praticlefool.

Tahoose said:
Donske I was thinking of maybe going with something similar to yours except upping the dextrose a little with the aim of it fermenting a bit lower, hopefully around the 1.012 mark
That's pretty much what I'm hoping for this time around, I'll be going with 5kg each of BB Galaxy and MO, 1kg og Dex and 300 grams of Caramunich III, hopefully it comes out on the lower end of the possible FGs but the sheer amount of alcohol in the beer will add an amount of body that will make it difficult for the beer to be dry to my tastes.

Yeah I'll be aiming for a OG of 1.084ish FG 1.012 then once bottled probably end up a touch over 9% which should warm up the winter a little .

Was trying to clone the famous Heady Topper but came in at 1.086 instead of 1.075.

Not a clone but damn good Double IPA all the same. Mmmmmm hops

1397362740185.jpg

Gav80 said:
Was trying to clone the famous Heady Topper but came in at 1.086 instead of 1.075.

Not a clone but damn good Double IPA all the same. Mmmmmm hops
Looks great, everyone with those bloody glasses too!

Beire de garde brune with lambic dregs. Just shy of 6 months old. The cherry flavour is slightly changing to a bit more dried fruit, maybe even tobacco?. I do like it very much!.

A 3787 pale. The most interesting and strong aromas and esters I've ever experienced in a beer. Ultra sweet honey aroma and ester profile. Been ages since I tried this and I thought they'd have faded in the keg, but they're still strong. This is only 6% so I can't wait to try a big golden ale with it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397386142.716937.jpg

Ryezenbock, just like a weizenbock but with some of the wheat replaced with rye. Started at 1.081 and finished at 1.010, it's a big complex estery Sunday night.

Warra's American Amber Ale - He went and moved to Newcastle (well Corlette in Port Stephens ) but thank god he left me one of his beers. Literally glows in the glass with clear copper hue. Its all clean malty goodness, a nice whack of hops, and balance galore. Hope he has his brewhouse unpacked and pumping out some more.

13868814895_64560a6073.jpg

Beire de garde blond. 9% but silky smooth. Subtle Belgian character and light perfuminess.

8 months old, 2 bottles left.
Heart is glad, but full of heft
Nuther shall be made
Come end of winters shade

image.jpg

English ipa and aussie pigging dog (who realistically would probably have a play and then cuddle a wild boar if faced with one)

1397730233138.jpg

mje1980 said:
Beire de garde blond. 9% but silky smooth. Subtle Belgian character and light perfuminess.
8 months old, 2 bottles left.
Heart is glad, but full of heft
Nuther shall be made
Come end of winters shade
I appear to have something in my eye...'sniff'

Last night's comparison. Mine's on the left, Fat Yak on the right.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397781987.652754.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397782090.618280.jpg

Taste comparison: the FY has a much more pronounced sweet caramel aroma whereas mine is a bit more bitter and drier. Otherwise it generally on target. Almost identical colour (!), similar mouthfeel, and the same basic aromas are present in mine, but much less (ie: namely the caramel). The carbonation in mine is excessive, so it needs to be swirled a bit to get it similar.
Not sure if what I'm describing as "sweet caramel" aroma is from the malts or the hops. I'd assume malts of course but it's an element not present in the flavour.

If it's fat yak, I wouldn't be surprised if it's diacetyl which I seem to get whenever I drink it (flavour too though).

Latest posts

Back