Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dicko said:
Here is an Anzac Amber that I brew every year around this time.
It goes down well now the nights are getting cooler.

Click on the Pic

Nice one Dicko, want to share the recipe?

Here you go,

Recipe: 006 Anzac Amber Ale TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 14.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 11.0-18.0 SRM
IBU: 28.4 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-40.0 IBUs
OG: 1.050 SG OG RANGE: 1.045-1.056 SG
FG: 1.013 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.015 SG
BU:GU: 0.563 Calories: 465.4 kcal/l Est ABV: 5.0 %
EE%: 80 % Batch: 20.00 l Boil: 30.26 l BT: 80 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
33.86 l RO WATER Blank Canvas Water 1 -
8.70 g 01 Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 m Water Agent 2 -
7.40 g 02 Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
5.40 g 03 Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
0.80 g 05 Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

Total Grain Weight: 5.22 kg Total Hops: 77.00 g oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.20 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.33 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 6 83 %
0.24 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.6 %
0.24 kg Biscuit Malt, Dingemans (35.5 SRM) Grain 8 4.5 %
0.12 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (15.0 SRM) Grain 9 2.2 %
0.17 kg Chocolate, Pale Bairds (301.5 SRM) Grain 10 3.3 %
0.13 kg Cara Pils (3.0 SRM) Grain 11 2.4 %

Name
Dough In 25.0 C 1 min
Mash Step Heat to 65 deg and hold for 60 mins
Mash Step Heat to 72.0 and hold for 20 mins
Mash out 76.0 C 20 min

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG Est OG: 1.050 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
27.00 g Willamette [6.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 19.1 IBUs
25.00 g Goldings East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 14 6.9 IBUs
3.00 g 13 YEAST NUTRIENT (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 15 -
4.00 g 11 BREW BRITE (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 16 -
25.00 g Goldings East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 5.0 m Hop 17 2.3 IBUs

---Yeast
BRY 97 Slurry made to a 1.6 litre starter

FG 1.011

Pratty1 said:
Hi SW,

I like that hop combo and the rate - 5g/L :)

That certainly would have made that style of beer have an almost IPA aroma, did it also create a change to the flavour of the beer with all that resinous oil?
It definitely had a massive aroma, I wouldn't quite say IPA though. It was cool that someone else brewed the same FWK fermented a little warmer and didn't dry hop and we were able to taste them at the same time. Heaps of fruit character, everyone that tried it really liked it.

My xxxx gold inspired "more dex bold". Only half kegged but had to have a sample. Well, this has turned out better than I'd expected. It's not really like xxxx gold, maybe in a very vague way, it's light bodied, but not thin, nice and crisp, but with some nice "beer" flavour, and the aftertaste is of nothing. For mega swill, I think it's pretty good,and I can't see it lasting too long. I did an hour @ 62c, and due to something coming up, the 70c rest lasted 2.5 hours, which had dropped to 65 by the end. The final gravity hit 1.006 so instead of 3.5% it's at 4.4%, but I'm not complaining. I kegged it yesterday, and it is a bit cloudy and has a touch of yeast but I think a week in the keg will do it wonders. Will keep this as a base for mega swill. Very happy.

Please don't tell the IBU'ers, some of them will kill me for brewing a lager.

Snapped a pic today. Bit hazy but for 3 days in the keg not too bad. This keg might go quick me thinks. Next time I might add a touch more cluster late for a touch of hop flavour.

image.jpg

Recipe mark? I'm looking for something similar for the swill drinkers at my wedding.

Here it is.

82% dingemans pils
8.2% dextrose in the boil.
6.6% wheat malt
3.3% carahell

2g citric, 5g gypsum in mash.

62-60mins, 70c- 2.5 hours ( I got called away, not intentional, anywhere from 15-30mins is fine ).

9 IBU ( yes, 9! )

2 litre starter of 2042 Danish lager. When starter done, put it in the fermenting fridge with the cube. 2 days later pitched the starter and let fridge come up to 10c. I broke my knee cap a week or so after that, so it sat for around 6 weeks+ at 10c. I did bring it out for a few days at ambient (20c), then slowly cooled it to 5c. Then kegged.

This is for a 17 litre cube.

You could easily use wyeast German ale @15 and it would be done sooner, though it takes it's time to clear out.

I'm tempted to try 2 cold pitched sachets of 34/70. I've read good reports of cold pitched 34/70, as long as 2 packs are used. At this gravity 2 packs pitched cold should work fine.

P.S with a one hour rest at 62 and the dex, this finished at 1.006.

Interesting.. The low mash and dex explain the low FG.

I think I might have to give something similar a bit of a go.

I guess I won't be having any mates complaining about this being too malty or bitter :D

Haha, no mate, definately no complaints about being to malty or bitter.

I just checked and it was actually weyerman pils, just the standard one, not the premium or bohemian pils. Ding would work well too though. Obviously bb or jw would too, but I like the euro pils malt.

dicko said:
Here is an Anzac Amber that I brew every year around this time.
It goes down well now the nights are getting cooler.

Click on the Pic

looks killer mate, and damn that video made me thirsty

Brown Bread Ale

8HD_2952.jpg

Here is the result of the bread yeast experiment.

It is good beer.

I used a cube of ale wort with some brown malt, and fermented it with a generous pitch of Lowan's bread yeast. It was pretty stinky early in the ferment, but after another week in the fermenter and another week in the keg, the stink is gone. The yeast is, however, pretty non-flocculant. Probably why some people have good results with high alcohol brews with it. I didn't try any finings in the keg, which may have helped, I just filtered it all out. Probably would be OK eventually with enough time anyhow.

This beer is perfectly fine. It had a small bit of a sour note earlier but that is all gone along with the yeast. Any kind of doughy-bready characteristic is now absent too. It just seems like beer fermented with regular ale yeast, and pretty cleanly at that in the end.

So there you go. I'll actually drink it.

You got the backyard lake finished then, mate. Looks good !

As does the beer.

dent said:
Brown Bread Ale

8HD_2952.jpg

Here is the result of the bread yeast experiment.

It is good beer.

I used a cube of ale wort with some brown malt, and fermented it with a generous pitch of Lowan's bread yeast. It was pretty stinky early in the ferment, but after another week in the fermenter and another week in the keg, the stink is gone. The yeast is, however, pretty non-flocculant. Probably why some people have good results with high alcohol brews with it. I didn't try any finings in the keg, which may have helped, I just filtered it all out. Probably would be OK eventually with enough time anyhow.

This beer is perfectly fine. It had a small bit of a sour note earlier but that is all gone along with the yeast. Any kind of doughy-bready characteristic is now absent too. It just seems like beer fermented with regular ale yeast, and pretty cleanly at that in the end.

So there you go. I'll actually drink it.
Good luck , what would you like on your head stone ?
Here I lie, didnt think Id die,
Drank a beer made of yeast for bread,
Now Im dead.
Enough said !
-_-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399109837.468259.jpg

BB ale + citra smash.
I call it hulk smash citra!

Still needs 2 days on the gas to fully carbonate but tasting pretty nice. Think I may keg-hop for a day or two.

Galaxy pale ale
Similar to stone and woods pacific ale

image.jpg

bloody hell some of you blokes take some amazing beer photos. how long do people spend snapping a decent looking picture? making me thirsty...

Back