Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Raja Goomba I said:
How does the M79 go?

Could you chuck in some feedback in the Burton Union M79 thread? Details on AHB are sketchy-ish at the moment and it might be a good thing to get some feedback on some of these newer (ish) dried yeasts.
Will do.

Liam_snorkel said:
I'm fermenting this experiment at the moment.

hopped like a big stinky US IPA, dark & malty grain bill, & Scottish ale yeast. Time will tell if it works haha.. either way, it should suit my tastes, and make up for the 4.5% pale lager I brewed earlier this month.

Come at me, style police:

IPA? IBA? brown / red IPA?

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 18.9 (EBC): 37.2
Bitterness (IBU): 148.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

45.05% Munich I
45.05% Vienna
4.5% Caraaroma
4.5% Carared
0.9% Carafa II malt special
(6.66kg total... :super: )

1.1 g/L Warrior (15.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Cascade (6.5% Alpha) @ Cube
2.2 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Cube
2.2 g/L Citra (13% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes Cube
1.3 g/L Cascade (6.5% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
1.3 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
1.3 g/L Citra (13% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

0.7 g/L Cascade (6.5% Alpha) (Keg Hop)
0.7 g/L Citra (13% Alpha) (Keg Hop)

mash-in at 64°C,
ramp to Infusion at 66.6°C for 60 Minutes.
Ramp to 72°C for 10min rest,
Ramp to 78°C mash-out.
Boil for 70 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with WLP028 - Edinburgh Scottish Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

fletcher said:
no idea on style mate, but it looks sexy

Bridges said:
Style be damned make what you like and enjoy it! And if you don't enjoy it let us know, it'll save us from making the same mistakes!!!
I kegged this yesterday. Actual OG was 1.065, FG 1.017 - so 6.3% ABV.

it's very very nice. the calculated 148IBU is wayyy off. At cold crashing, the sample tasted bitter-as-****, but now that it's in the keg it's actually balanced. Tastes more like 70 or so.

the beer is super malty, with a really juicy hop profile. something along the lines of 8 wired tall poppy. I'm really happy with it! The colour is a deep dark red, with a tinge of greeny-brown from all the hops. Next time I'll drop the carafa a little bit to brighten it up. The yeast worked well too. I can't notice any esters but it really let both the malt & hops shine.

1511109_10152027570315976_8617722160730759705_n.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
I kegged this yesterday. Actual OG was 1.065, FG 1.017 - so 6.3% ABV.

it's very very nice. the calculated 148IBU is wayyy off. At cold crashing, the sample tasted bitter-as-****, but now that it's in the keg it's actually balanced. Tastes more like 70 or so.

the beer is super malty, with a really juicy hop profile. something along the lines of 8 wired tall poppy. I'm really happy with it! The colour is a deep dark red, with a tinge of greeny-brown from all the hops. Next time I'll drop the carafa a little bit to brighten it up. The yeast worked well too. I can't notice any esters but it really let both the malt & hops shine.
looks awesome mate!

Beechwood Smoked Maple Porter 5% rich and sweet finishes bitter and smoky, very happy.

IMG_6886 - Copy.JPG

100% organic Canadian maple Syrup dent, added at start of fermentation and also used for priming in the bottle version and kegged version.

First ever home brew lager. Bribie G XXXX bitter recipe. WOW. I feel like I'm at the pub and am staggered that I brewed this myself. Too easy to drink!
Cheers to all contributing members of AHB. I have you all to thank.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399628584.321643.jpg

AndrewQLD said:
Beechwood Smoked Maple Porter 5% rich and sweet finishes bitter and smoky, very happy.

attachicon.gif
IMG_6886 - Copy.JPG

that sounds amazing... just drinking a founders porter now. Soo rich, smooth and delicious.
Loving winter beers and looking to make a porter next - Mind sharing your recipe?

That beer looks very, very tasty Andrew. Not bad for an Admin. :lol:
Asking for the recipe will get us nowhere I know :p but interested in finding out what smoked malt was used?
Weyermanns? Percentage of grist?
Bairds Peated? Percentage of grist?

Just asking. :)

lael said:
that sounds amazing... just drinking a founders porter now. Soo rich, smooth and delicious.
Loving winter beers and looking to make a porter next - Mind sharing your recipe?
TidalPete said:
That beer looks very, very tasty Andrew. Not bad for an Admin. :lol:
Asking for the recipe will get us nowhere I know :p but interested in finding out what smoked malt was used?
Weyermanns? Percentage of grist?
Bairds Peated? Percentage of grist?

Just asking. :)
Only too happy to share Pete and lael.
Code:
Recipe: Smoked Maple Porter
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Prime 8 ml per litre

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 25.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 68.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2.20 kg               Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain         1        33.8 %        
2.20 kg               Smoked Malt Best Malz (6.0 EBC)          Grain         2        33.8 %        
0.50 kg               Caramalt (Global Malt) (50.0 EBC)        Grain         3        7.7 %         
0.50 kg               Munich 1(Best Malz)  (15.0 EBC)          Grain         4        7.7 %         
0.45 kg               Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC)          Grain         5        6.9 %         
0.20 kg               Black Malt (Simpsons) (1083.5 EBC)       Grain         6        3.1 %         
0.20 kg               Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (1100.0 EBC)   Grain         7        3.1 %         
40.00 g               Goldings, East Kent [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop           8        22.5 IBUs     
20.00 g               Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           9        8.3 IBUs      
20.00 g               Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           10       5.4 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               Burton Union Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M79 Yeast         11       -             
0.25 kg               Maple Syrup (69.0 EBC)                   Sugar         12       3.8 %         

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 22.02 l of water at 75.3 C          68.0 C        45 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.24l, 16.00l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:

[ATTACH]70989[/ATTACH][ATTACH]70990[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Smoked Maple Porter.bsmx
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6886 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6886 - Copy.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
Stupor Pils

1.jpg

8% Czech Pilsener. This one has been in the keg about a year, and somehow has avoided getting oxidised over that whole period. It has cleaned up to the point now it is almost a quaffing beer. Pours nice and bright now, with a clean finish and mellow malt flavour. Certainly it wasn't nearly as nice earlier on but now by the time I'm sick of the keg taking up a space in the fridge, it has come up pretty good.

What, Nev, is it too hazy to post a picture?

Edit: Ok now I can see the haze. Good shot.

Damn those beers look tasty as Dent and Nev...now to find something suitable to drink as I am thirsty.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399708270.844184.jpg

So I got my kegs mixed up and went to pour a pint of what was supposed to be a Brown Ale and this came out. A Stout that I bothered Nev for a recipe. As usual things didn't go to plan and ended up adding 2kg of sugar to a 45L end of boil volume batch to get to 1.080.

I was planning on aging this up while I finished off the Kolsch (maybe two glasses left), then drank a dead guy clone (which i just found out is cloudy and pretty much undrinkable) and then the brown ale. I guess this isn't going to see much aging, but I'm not too fussed because it tastes damn delicious already. I smashed through a pint and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. There wasn't even a "oh, this would be so good if this flavor mellowed out". Really happy with it!

Latest posts

Back