Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dent said:
What, Nev, is it too hazy to post a picture?

Edit: Ok now I can see the haze. Good shot.
Yeah, I've been giving Nev a few pointers on the side.

Jyo's Guide to Increasing Chill Haze will be available for download soon.

Seriously, this thread is great.

Don't Do what Donny Don't Does

tumblr_llx57kdmOb1qesmvqo1_400.gif

jyo said:
Yeah, I've been giving Nev a few pointers on the side.

Jyo's Guide to Increasing Chill Haze will be available for download soon.

Seriously, this thread is great.
Coming from the man who knows, it will be my go to book on all things haze.
Special section on HERM-IT haze , coming up ?
Nev

StalkingWilbur said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399708270.844184.jpg

So I got my kegs mixed up and went to pour a pint of what was supposed to be a Brown Ale and this came out. A Stout that I bothered Nev for a recipe. As usual things didn't go to plan and ended up adding 2kg of sugar to a 45L end of boil volume batch to get to 1.080.

I was planning on aging this up while I finished off the Kolsch (maybe two glasses left), then drank a dead guy clone (which i just found out is cloudy and pretty much undrinkable) and then the brown ale. I guess this isn't going to see much aging, but I'm not too fussed because it tastes damn delicious already. I smashed through a pint and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. There wasn't even a "oh, this would be so good if this flavor mellowed out". Really happy with it!
What was the final gravity ? I think 2 kg of sugar would help the drinkability .
Mine pulled a medal at the Perth Royal Beer Show in the Foreign Stout section, wasnt big enough for a Russian Imperial .

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Special section on HERM-IT haze , coming up ?
After dough in, ensure mash PH is at least eleventy point five to increase chances of haze.

Man, I hope not!

Finished at 1.020. I'll see how I go at filling a growler if I can get some tubing and bring when I drop around before next brew day.

Speaking of haze...

8HD_3016.JPG

JYO Belgian Blonde

This one, to my palate, sits somewhere between Wit and Wheat. I think it was the Ardennes yeast, from what I recall, which has done a great job. Easy drinking with the yeast character cheerfully at the forefront, which really puts the beer together. A great Belgian ale.

dent said:
Speaking of haze...

8HD_3016.JPG

JYO Belgian Blonde

This one, to my palate, sits somewhere between Wit and Wheat. I think it was the Ardennes yeast, from what I recall, which has done a great job. Easy drinking with the yeast character cheerfully at the forefront, which really puts the beer together. A great Belgian ale.
Sweet I have a bottle of this just wait for tonight, thanks jyo.
Nice tree stump Dent, we could burn that sucker at the case swap ?

I've been using it as a decoy for the termites instead of my house.

Drinking me some of my cascade + amarillo extract ale in celebration of my first BIAB day. Here's to me producing vastly superior beer from now on :)

Hmmmmmmm

Sometimes i miss making beer

Saying that i have a 14 month old Flanders Red ready to bottle and a 15 month old lambic that will wait till next year :)

keep em coming folks!

dent said:
Speaking of haze...
Haze...I call that extremely heavy condensation and very poor photography ;)

That is a nice pic. Cheers for the review, mate.

Midnight Brew's Saison.

Almost crystal clear with a pillowy, persistent head.

Quite a pronounced floral hop aroma with a wheaty, tarty fruitiness.

Dry and prickly mouthfeel due to the high carbonation. More tart fruit from the yeast and floral/citrus hop flavors.

Finishes dry and more hops evident upon burping. Would be a killer summer session beer.

Excellent beer, Cam...cheers !

20140511_164613.jpg

Double IPA similar to heady topper. Sitting next to a 6 hour slow cooked brisket in coke sauce.

1399793700172.jpg

20140511_191238.jpg

Poor photo I know.

English Pale Ale - sort of how I do my americans but with english hops (so relatively aggressively late hopping).

But.. Big'un, I went a bit overboard with the roasted barley - I just wanted some colour and did a bit of "oh, a little extra won't matter" and so the roastiness comes through.

Still an excellent beer, especially when you use the ghetto micro hand pump (a syringe for kid's medicine) - really works well at a low carb with that. The difference between bottle carbed (still very low co2 levels) and 'hand pumped' is world's apart and really works excellently.

Xxxx gold clone attempt. Glass is a home made headmaster. Even in a normal glass it holds a good head, I just like to see the bubbles working off the bottom so I drink these beers from this glass. Wouldn't dream of putting my uk ales in it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I might add, I used a nonic because I had 6 of them. After a few months I realised I didn't really need 6 of the same glass. I smashed one, but still, I can only drink out of one, so I used this one for an experiment. I went nuts with a dremel, did the bottom, but also did the bottom 1" all the way around. I reckon the bottom is all that's needed to score up. I had a nice Belgian tulip glass that was awesome kept a great fluffy head all the way. One day while cleaning I realised at the top of the stem, in the bottom of the glass there was a small amount of etching. Ha, cheeky buggers!!. If it's good enough for the Belgians to etch a glass, it's good enough for me!!!

Back