Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yum beer said:
Nice looking beer there Fletch. What does the Galena bring to the party.
As you know I've done the similar thing with Supar Alpha and Galaxy, but have ordered today the grain and some Galena to have a crack at the real deal.
Very similar bill to yours, just a tad more polenta and a touch of Galaxy and Munich for a little extra malt. Same IBU's.
Beer fridge is full of ales and just smashed out a Double Choc Vanilla Porter this arvo so its time to put the ferment fridge into lager mode for next summer.
Corona
Budvar
Aussie Dry

To keep on topic, slurping on my 'Little Goblin'. Picture a Hobgoblin........mmmmmm
to my very untrained palate mate, very little. if anything it reminds me of the taste of corona but putting a description to the flavour would be too hard as it's SO minimal in the overall taste. it's only at about 17IBU all up. i daresay you could do it with many other hops too. i know bribie mentioned he got a good cream ale low bittering with chinook.

the characteristic i picked up on more than anything, when it started to warm a little, was the hint of corn from the polenta. enough that it was to style and not overpowering. the galena balanced the malt perfectly. it really shone when i cut up some lemon slices and dunked them in. arriba! couldn't tell the difference between that and a corona. 100% went amazing with tacos! i'll try and take a better photo when i have one next.

i'd be interesting in trying galena later in the boil. have read some mixed reports. might do it in combination, in a much bigger addition, with a C hop and see what it does in a pale ale.

Wheat beer kegged and force carb last night....hoping it will clear up as the keg settles.

Poured a nice white head - laced on the glass nicely

Orange and Coriander is there but subtle.

mmmmm tasty

wheat.jpg

For those that remember my question about whehter to use citrusy hops in a wheat - I ended up following a few of the suggested responses in that thread and used EKG.

GrumpyPaul said:
....hoping it will clear up as the keg settles.
What style of wheat beer did you make? I think that cloudiness is perfect for a wheat beer.

Pratty1 said:
What style of wheat beer did you make? I think that cloudiness is perfect for a wheat beer.
Style? What is this style thing of which you speak????

I call it a Boronia Style Wheat. (brewed in Boronia with total disregard for style guidleines -using english hops for bittering)

Grumpy's English Hoe in the Garden (Witbier)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.4
Bitterness (IBU): 17.0 (Average)

50% Pilsner
50% Wheat Malt

0.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
0.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

1.0 g/L Corriander Seed @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.0 g/L Orange Peel @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safbrew WB-06

American Amber. I needed to do a quick brewday. Single infusion at 65 for 50, mash out at 75 for 10. 60 min boil
The clarity and lacing are brilliant, the head is as dense as any multi-step I've done.. Sometimes I wonder why I do all these protein rests and multi step mashes.... Youd never know this was treated like a red headed cousin.
One of my favourite styles. Not in your face hops like APA and AIPA can be. Some nice American fruitiness, but malty as well

amber1.jpg

Amber2 (2).jpg

Amber3 (3).jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396086620.521777.jpg

My Nelson/Cascade Black IPA

Mistakenly dry hopped with flowers, loose & straight into the fv. Took forever to keg coz of the blocked tap but think it might be my best one yet

IPA, 7.6% and 80 IBUs of chinook, Simcoe and centennial.

It came out a bit drier than planned but the sweetness from the Caramunich III balances the hops quite nicely.

1396164122910.jpg

American Red.

Phone pic doesn't show the true deep red colour of this. Combo of cascade, columbus and apollo. Very happy.

10006601_10203572347813084_869594474_n.jpg

jyo said:
American Red.

Phone pic doesn't show the true deep red colour of this. Combo of cascade, columbus and apollo. Very happy.
What was your grain bill to get that nice red?

Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.140
Total Hops (g): 145.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.057 (°P): 14.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.53 %
Colour (SRM): 15.1 (EBC): 29.7
Bitterness (IBU): 47.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 65

Grain Bill
----------------
5.400 kg Barrett Burston Ale (87.95%)
0.300 kg Bairds Medium Crystal (4.89%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (3.26%)
0.150 kg Bairds Dark Crystal (2.44%)
0.090 kg Carafa I malt (1.47%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
30.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
15.0 g Apollo Pellet (15% Alpha) @ whirlpool (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ whirlpool (Aroma) (0.6 g/L)
10.0 g D Saaz Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ whirlpool (0.4 g/L)
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.8 g/L)
20.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.8 g/L)
Mangrove Jacks British Ale @ 18'

uploadfromtaptalk1396345419155.jpg

Amber ale that turned out more like a brown due to chocolate malt instead of pale chocolate malt. Hopped with summer and Ella.

2nd brew ever, 1st AG.

MO/Citra SMASH to test out my kit to about 35 IBU.. not going to win any awards but hey, looks and tastes like beer! :beerbang:

IMG_0271.jpg

looks great, well done. :beerbang:

now quickly brew some more before it runs out.

Liam_snorkel said:
looks great, well done. :beerbang:

now quickly brew some more before it runs out.
cheers! Yeah definitely going to have to get brewing to fill up my other 2 kegs. What a shame! =D will need to try sort something out for the haze too.

Wilkens

Is it just yeast? Or hop oils? if so, it should clear out over the next few weeks if it lasts that long (and you don't move the keg around). If it's chill haze & you ferment in a fridge and crash chill your beers, try adding polyclar VT (to chilled fermenter) then leaving it for a couple of days before tansferring. Works for me.

Liam_snorkel said:
Is it just yeast? Or hop oils? if so, it should clear out over the next few weeks if it lasts that long (and you don't move the keg around). If it's chill haze & you ferment in a fridge and crash chill your beers, try adding polyclar VT (to chilled fermenter) then leaving it for a couple of days before tansferring. Works for me.
I don't think it's yeast, I poured the first bit of the keg out that looked misty. I used whirlfloc as a 10min addition, fermented in a fridge and it has been at 2-3 degrees for about 9 days. So I'm not really sure :)

Wilkens

Back