Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after 4 days carbing in the keg, here she is. The good Drs Golden Ale. 2nd AG beer, but the 1st to be drunk (Operation Mongoose has a month left in the bottles). Suffering from chill haze (Roo_brew: "Did you whirlpool it?" Me: "Well, I made a whirlpool...) Other tasters are a bit unsure what to think at 1st. SWMBO said it doesn't taste like any beers she's had before, but likes it very much. I guess that means i've got the finance approval?

Smurto1.jpgSmurto2.jpg

Well, after 4 days carbing in the keg, here she is. The good Drs Golden Ale. 2nd AG beer, but the 1st to be drunk (Operation Mongoose has a month left in the bottles). Suffering from chill haze (Roo_brew: "Did you whirlpool it?" Me: "Well, I made a whirlpool...) Other tasters are a bit unsure what to think at 1st. SWMBO said it doesn't taste like any beers she's had before, but likes it very much. I guess that means i've got the finance approval?

View attachment 46248View attachment 46249

Looks the goods! Nice lacing on the glass

Coopers Irish stout with 1.5kg can of Coopers light liquid malt and steeped 80g of roasted barley.

IMG_3900-1.jpg

Probably my best brew yet. Really fantastic. I used a very low priming rate with the bottles, it pours with almost no head (which was planned) and I just use a plastic syringe to get a thick, creamy Guinness like head. :lol:

i thought i would share, the photo makes the beer looks like mud but there is nothing better than having a belgian dark strong in front of the fire
it sure does warm you up

SANY1481.JPG

cheers matho

there is nothing better than having a belgian dark strong in front of the fire
it sure does warm you up

I reckon! Winter is my favourite time of year, lighting the fire then just sitting in the warmth with a pint of stout... bliss :chug:

109_0339.JPG

My attempt at Belhaven's Twisted Thistle IPA. G.P. ,crystal with Challenger and Cascade with British Ale 11.. Awesome combination.

My Coopers Stout attempt/improvement.

Its creamy smooth, rounder body than coopers, smooth clean roast character and quite enjoyable on a cold day at about 6%

Best part is i have a 50 liter keg of it :)

I made it with MO, 16% flaked barley, 8.5% Weyermann choc wheat, and a few % of both pale choc and crystal and bittered it up to 44 IBU with home grown POR flowers. Sipping on it its actually more of a Robust porter....... either way its a fine dark ale for a wintery afternoon!

AussieStout1152x1728.jpg

My Coopers Stout attempt/improvement.

Its creamy smooth, rounder body than coopers, smooth clean roast character and quite enjoyable on a cold day at about 6%

Best part is i have a 50 liter keg of it :)

I made it with MO, 16% flaked barley, 8.5% Weyermann choc wheat, and a few % of both pale choc and crystal and bittered it up to 44 IBU with home grown POR flowers. Sipping on it its actually more of a Robust porter....... either way its a fine dark ale for a wintery afternoon!

AussieStout1152x1728.jpg

nice beer Tone, love the big choc wheat addition

cheers

My first partial mash beer and first stout.
Couldn't be happier with how this turned out. I aimed for lots of choc flavours and it's right on the money.
First all grain (AIPA) is fermenting as I type!
Stout.JPG

Mmm looks awesome! :beerbang: Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure.

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 16.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 104.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 36.70 %
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 45.87 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 7.34 %
0.30 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 5.50 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.67 %
0.05 kg Black Malt (Bairds) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
80.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (50 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

FG ended up being 1.024, 5.75%. Boil was more like 20L with an enthusiastic sparge.
Primary for just under 3 weeks.

Props to Manticle and Bizier for their input.

Dark Mild 6, kegged yesterday.

Malty, smooth, hint of roast and smoke (handful of peated malt). Yumm. Doing another double of this on Tuesday (long, long weekend for me ;))

Dark_Mild_6.jpg

Cheers!

Hmm nothin like a home made stout to go with my home made pie on a chilly sunday whilst brewing up a triple batch of mild.

P1050226.JPG

My first attempt at a mild ~3% ABV, but tasty as hell!

09370b93.jpg

And this one is an IIPA. 9% ABV and 93.5 IBU. These are a one every once in a while beer. Sweet malt and toffee on the nose and palate but balanced nicely with the 93.5IBU.

dafd7561.jpg

Mitch :D

oh man the dark ales are out in force :)

:beerbang: If anything is going to turn me into an alcoholic... it's this thread! I'm just sitting here drooling, delicious looking beers everyone! :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back