Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every glass of this imperial strength old ale gives this spectacular lacing, always like a japanese painting of waves.

It makes for good contemplating beer.

2011_05_26_01.12.46.jpg

Looks awesome, Dan.
I raise my last (thought all was gone) bottle of Landlord attempt 1. It aint a Landlord, but it's pretty bloody good :)

109_0291.JPG

Cheers, John.

I knew this wouldn't quite be ready, but I had to try one: My Wizard's Miff. A touch hazy, and tastes a bit green still (only been bottled 9 days) but drinkable.

WizardsMiff1.jpg
WizardsMiff1withhead.jpg

First pic. is as it poured, the 2nd one I frothed it up using a syringe. Once it had a head of foam it held it quite well.

Pretty happy for my 1st attempt, and I think it will improve as it conditions longer. Planning another of these, but using the Cooper's larger can that came with my kit instaed of the Black Rock colonial larger, and the rest from one of the site sponsors. I hope using in-date ingredients and having a temperature controlled fermentation will improve it further.

I knew this wouldn't quite be ready, but I had to try one: My Wizard's Miff. A touch hazy, and tastes a bit green still (only been bottled 9 days) but drinkable.

WizardsMiff1.jpg
WizardsMiff1withhead.jpg

First pic. is as it poured, the 2nd one I frothed it up using a syringe. Once it had a head of foam it held it quite well.

Pretty happy for my 1st attempt, and I think it will improve as it conditions longer. Planning another of these, but using the Cooper's larger can that came with my kit instaed of the Black Rock colonial larger, and the rest from one of the site sponsors. I hope using in-date ingredients and having a temperature controlled fermentation will improve it further.

nice one spork, :icon_chickcheers: try and keep at least 2 bottles from each batch, you won't believe the difference a couple of months will make

cheers

First beer of the early Friday....

My ESB with Fuggles and Styrian Goldings.

Yummo.

ESB.jpg

Cheers!

Keiren's Cascadian dark ale (maybe imperial?), very tasty

Belgian Tripel 9.9%
Pours a golden honey colour with a thick white fluffy head.
Aroma is instantly that belgian herbaceaus, floral nose.
Carbonation is medium high - spot on.
Immediately hit with the alcohol on first taste. Crisp on the palate, with most sensation to the back of the roof of the mouth. Then a sweetness shines through.
No fruitiness what so ever.
Brilliant.
brewer = mikk.
Thank you mikk!
P6050523.JPG

My wife likes it. Said it makes me look better after 1 and now we're off to have a spa..... :beer:

Mckenry, Glad you liked the Tripel!
I'll def be doing this one again, but at about 8-8.5% instead. I had a Chimay white on tap from the Lord Nelson yesterday (for research purposes), & the reduced alcohol in it made it easier to drink than this one.
Shame they served the Chimay at normal tap temp though- i thought they would've known better....!

Ingedients wise, the simplest beer i've ever made, but also the most time consuming & most complicated mash schedule ever.

Mikk.

Belgian Tripel 9.9%
Pours a golden honey colour with a thick white fluffy head.
Aroma is instantly that belgian herbaceaus, floral nose.
Carbonation is medium high - spot on.
Immediately hit with the alcohol on first taste. Crisp on the palate, with most sensation to the back of the roof of the mouth. Then a sweetness shines through.
No fruitiness what so ever.
Brilliant.
brewer = mikk.
Thank you mikk!
View attachment 46165

My wife likes it. Said it makes me look better after 1 and now we're off to have a spa..... :beer:

Here is my attempt at a Steinlager Pure clone.
Mine on left.
6_june._euro_vs_stein_pure_003.JPG

Poured very gassy with a huge head but settled with carbonation almost identical to the Steinlager.

6_june._euro_vs_stein_pure_006.JPG

Tastes very similar but bitterness comes through a bit later in the mouth, though close to Steinlager levels.
Kits and bits, Coopers euro, be1, LDM,DDM, small carapils/carahell infusion, Hallertau and super alpha, bittering and flavour additions.
Hallertau day 7 of the ferment.
A little deeper gold than the steinlager but had a crap load more lacing. 9 weeks in the bottle
Im pleased. :D

Back