Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My effort of Cracka Fat Pale Ale

HC_CFPA.JPG

After some issues to start with, it has settled down to a very nice beer B)

HC

Bo Pils - sitting on the newly christened Monster Mill.

Have another batch in the fermenting fridge.

Easy drinking, 100% JW pils, 100% czech saaz to 40 IBU, WLP 833. Single decoction.

Had a bunch of mates over after a round of golf yesterday and they hit the keg hard. :icon_drunk:

AG095_bopils.JPG

Easy drinking, 100% JW pils, 100% czech saaz to 40 IBU, WLP 833. Single decoction.

Had a bunch of mates over after a round of golf yesterday and they hit the keg hard. :icon_drunk:

View attachment 43048

Looks really nice!
Could you go in to more detail with the recipe?

Cheers, Jim

View attachment 43048

isn't it nice being able to buy a fresh vial of 833 locally? :beerbang:

Looks really nice!
Could you go in to more detail with the recipe?

Cheers, Jim

No worries.

20L (70% efficiency)

4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
70.00 gm Saaz [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [3.70 %] (20 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [3.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

OG 1.049
IBU 39
EBC 6

Mashed in for a protein rest at 52C. After 10 min take out ~5L of grain and heat it to ~65C. Rest 15 mins. Bring it to the boil and boil for 15 mins. Add back to the tun raising the temp to 65C for the sacc rest. Rest for 60 min. Draw off 6L of first runnings (without clearing) and bring to the boil. Add back to hit 76-78C mashout.

Sparge as per usual.

90 min boil. Chilled and into the ferment fridge. Ferment at 9C for 3-4 weeks. Rack and slowly reduce the temp to 1C (1-2C per day) and lager for as long as you can.

No doubt that was way more information than you actually wanted :blink: :lol:

Cheers
DrSmurto

and yes, fresh WLP833 locally is the ducks nuts :super:

Black Diamond IPA
IMG_0542.JPG
Apearance:
Dark to very dark brown... not truely black. Has some brown to ruby highlights when held up to the light. Pours with persistent half inceh head that laces all the way down the glass. Probably the best lacing beer ive ever made/had. Probably due to the amount of hops in it.

Aroma:
Punch in that face American C hop citrus smashing through... not a heap of resiny aroma but quite subtle well integrated profile I will confess that in between sips i often just sit with beer under my nose breathing in the aroma... wonderful hoppiness with a little sweet aromatic malt in support. Also best smelling beer ive ever made.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full. With a decent level of carbonation... could be a little more carbed for the style but i like it where it is. Would prefer if it finished a bit dryer.

Taste:
Hops, Hops, Hops... there is Cascade, Centennial and Chinook in there. I dont think the cascade is coming through. Centennial and Chinook are much more dominant. Could do with a touch more bitterness. Estimated in this one is around 65IBU if i remember correctly... could pump it up another 5-10IBU no problems. Very happy with the malt bill... very supportive of the dominant hops. Some nice subtle toffee sweetness in the background. Maybe the slightest hint of alcohol warmth... just right not too much, just lets you know this could end up messy.

Overall:
For a 7.5% ABV beer this is dangerously sessionable... I just keep going back for more.
Served this up on new years eve after an afternoon of 2.9% Cascade Mild and finished off some of the boys. They didn't know what to make of drinking a dark beer and getting knocked back by all the hops.

Got the second half od the double batch fermenting now.. gonna french press a good 180g of cascade, centennial and chinook and probably another 2g/l dry hop of each. Gotta love double batches... so you can tweak the second half to your own taste

argon,

you really talked this bad boy up! my mouth is watering. Im planning on a big american brown/ IPA soon, wanna share the share your recipe for this one??

shit just saw the link at the bottom of your post...

Black Diamond IPA
View attachment 43192
Apearance:
Dark to very dark brown... not truely black. Has some brown to ruby highlights when held up to the light. Pours with persistent half inceh head that laces all the way down the glass. Probably the best lacing beer i've ever made/had. Probably due to the amount of hops in it.

Aroma:
Punch in that face American C hop citrus smashing through... not a heap of resiny aroma but quite subtle well integrated profile I will confess that in between sips i often just sit with beer under my nose breathing in the aroma... wonderful hoppiness with a little sweet aromatic malt in support. Also best smelling beer i've ever made.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full. With a decent level of carbonation... could be a little more carbed for the style but i like it where it is. Would prefer if it finished a bit dryer.

Taste:
Hops, Hops, Hops... there is Cascade, Centennial and Chinook in there. I don't think the cascade is coming through. Centennial and Chinook are much more dominant. Could do with a touch more bitterness. Estimated in this one is around 65IBU if i remember correctly... could pump it up another 5-10IBU no problems. Very happy with the malt bill... very supportive of the dominant hops. Some nice subtle toffee sweetness in the background. Maybe the slightest hint of alcohol warmth... just right not too much, just lets you know this could end up messy.

Overall:
For a 7.5% ABV beer this is dangerously sessionable... I just keep going back for more.
Served this up on new years eve after an afternoon of 2.9% Cascade Mild and finished off some of the boys. They didn't know what to make of drinking a dark beer and getting knocked back by all the hops.

Got the second half od the double batch fermenting now.. gonna french press a good 180g of cascade, centennial and chinook and probably another 2g/l dry hop of each. Gotta love double batches... so you can tweak the second half to your own taste

Raining here in mildura. Having a couple of quiet ones waiting for the boil on my stout to end.

Here's a pic of my Zwickle inspired lager.

lager.jpg

Love the 833............ have used it for several years and still consider it my favorite yeast!

I have to say............ some great looking beers there folks............. keep em coming!

alright its not a glass per-se but this is mine and two of my mates first attempt at an all grain, dr smurtos golden ale... and it already tastes ten times better then anything else ive brewed, i can see how you guys get hooked on all grain now!! cold crash now... cant wait to taste this baby from a real glass :beerbang:

164049_485282808044_568503044_6122703_1201817_n.jpg

SAM_1176a.jpg

Berlinner Weisse - using the Wyeast PC blend, mash hopped with Nelson Sauvin and 100% delicious. It is crystal clear and highly effervescent, both of which didn't come out in the pic.

SAM_1176a.jpg

Berlinner Weisse - using the Wyeast PC blend, mash hopped with Nelson Sauvin and 100% delicious. It is crystal clear and highly effervescent, both of which didn't come out in the pic.

Where is the red or green cordial?

English bitter...fermented a touch too warm methinks...a bit too much fruitiness/esthers in the aftertaste. It's fine after two pints though.

Then a "better red than dead"...lit from below so you can see it's not just totally black. Again I think this has thrown off a few undesireable flavours, but in this instance it is too much alcohol warmth...although it is only %5, maybe too many fusels??? (I'm flying blind here and throwing around words that I'm not sure are correct.

Both only 4 weeks in the bottle so I'm hoping they mellow a little.

Cheers all!

(A mate came around last night to sample a few so I got him to take photos - I don't have a digital camera...more to come).

english_bitter_ale2.JPG

better_red_reduced.JPG

Me munich dunkel. Really happy with it. One of my first lagers brewed with 2206. Far out this yeast can push the malt flavours. I also brewed an october fest beer with it at the same time.

Edit: Bloody photo was sideways

DSC01468.JPG

argon,

you really talked this bad boy up! my mouth is watering. Im planning on a big american brown/ IPA soon, wanna share the share your recipe for this one??

shit just saw the link at the bottom of your post...

Here's the link to the Black IPA recipe... reminded me cause i blew the keg the other night :(

The beauty of the double batch... there's another keg's worth ready for kegging in the next day or 2 :)

Oh happy day, my ale brewing has been up the shyte lately with the weather and with 1469 - I only have a small temp controlled fridge which has been tied up with lagers. My ales usually do just great under a doonah with 5 litre ice blocks made in mini jerry cans. No problem. Polite helpful Wyeast 1056 goes about its job perfectly, as does Ringwood etc.

However 1469 chucks a huge madonna hissy fit and before you know it you have volcanic action and 24 degrees in the fermenter with masses of solid yeast oozing out of the grommet and mounding up on top of the fermenter, and even Captain Freeze with his freeze ray couldn't get it down. Ketones, cat piss overtones etc. So I did the last 1469 in the lager fridge and straight-jacketed it to 16 degrees and I now have my beloved Yorkshire Gold back again.

Gotta get a bigger ferm fridge. <_<

yorkshiregoldMedium.jpg

Back