Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100_2157.jpg
Golden Weasel
Bit of an experiment gone wrong, gone right for me.
A blend of three-quarters British golden ale with a 1/4 big rough double oak-aged American Imperial stout.
Winded up being a bit of Brett in the stout that is hard to detect, but florished and took over this beer.
Result was something similiar to Rodenbach...like balsamic vinegar. :icon_vomit:
Two years in bottle however, has mellowed the sharpness out of it, and given it some really nice juicy red wine and sultana-like aged characters. :icon_drool2:

Fourstars Strongarm.

Not the best lighting but it will have to do.

Light fruit esters on the nose, some floral notes/perfume noticable but lingering. A sweet maltiness, somewhat muted, some huskiness apparent with distant bakery aroma overtones.

Bright with dusty haze and a brilliant fireburst orange appearance. low ivory creamy head, low stand but good retention.

Palate is deep deep caramel, light hop with some earthy and rich grain flavours present. Somewhat creamy with a mild nuttiness/digestive biscuit flavour.

The finish has sweet malt lingering with a noticable but supporting bitterness present. Some floral notes with sweet toffee linger on the palate well after enjoying. Moderate body with moderate to mild carbonation. Overall a deep sweet rich English Bitter.

I may have made CAMRA proud with my 1st half decent Bitter.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

DSC_0736.jpg

I'd like to attempt a Helles when I get the new brewery set up after the move. Any chance of a recipe?
:icon_cheers:

heres one that i made that blew a few blokes away at the july case swap last year. :icon_cheers:

Helles
Munich Helles

Type: All Grain
Date: 25/04/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
5.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
0.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.10 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 1.85 %
35.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.1 IBU
3g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.98 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 20.1 IBU
Est Color: 4.5 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 15.12 L of water at 71.9 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 93.9 C 75.6 C

Notes
Crash Chilled for 3 Days @ 2 deg.
6g CaCl2 into mash, 3g CaSo4 into Kettle
Ferment @ 10deg with a diactel rest with 3-4 points to go.

The Strongarm looks the goods :icon_drool2:

Thanks for the Helles recipe, I've cut and pasted that one.

This is a Kiwi Hallertau Lager with just Galaxy, Carapils, Sugaz, S-189 and NZ Hallertau flowers French Pressed and a 'split addition' with the pressings in the hop sock and the hop tea into the fermenter. Gelatine, Polyclar, 10 day lagering.

kiwihallertauMedium.jpg

It's a bugger that you supposedly can't make a half decent lager using BIAB, well maybe in the future .................

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a bugger that you supposedly can't make a half decent lager using BIAB, well maybe in the future .................
Ha! Was just thinking the very same thing with my own Munich Helles, opened a few recently, slightly lighter than yours for colour but mine just has a hint of chill haze. Think I'll skip the polenta and wheat next time, maybe include some late hops and even bung some through the plunger, but passable and good to get into while the days are still a little warm. :icon_cheers:

My house Hefeweizen (and my house)...

med_gallery_1950_544_6813.jpg

One day I'm going to work out how to force the IXUS70 to focus on the foreground

My 2nd AG, a guiness clone. Based on the supposed guinness grain bill 70% ale malt, 20% flaked barley and 10% roast barley. Its lovely :)
DSCF0359.JPG

One day I'm going to work out how to force the IXUS70 to focus on the foreground

Select 'Macro' focus if it has it...it should. There'll be a little flower icon on a button. Good for focusing on anything closer than around a foot.

Lovely looking beer mate.

Looks the goods mate - same one as at BABBs?
I should brew either a Hefe or a Gose next week, time/fermenters permitting.

Select 'Macro' focus if it has it...it should. There'll be a little flower icon on a button. Good for focusing on anything closer than around a foot.

Lovely looking beer mate.

yeah, use macro, spot focus (center) or dynamic focus so you can adjust it to a point where you want to camer to draw focus then simply click and it should draw focus onthe point you select on your viewfinder/LCD display. There should be an option.

With my somewhat cheapy Kodak I get SWMBO to slide a sheet of card into the background (In your case a black card but generally just a sheet of paper to cut out the background glare). Slightly depress the button to force it to focus on the glass, then remove card whilst still holding button so focus stays locked in, then click fully and shoot. Fools the bugger every time B)

Looks the goods mate - same one as at BABBs?
I should brew either a Hefe or a Gose next week, time/fermenters permitting.

Yup, that's the one.

I've never tried Gose before...(hint hint) ;)

Looks nice NickB, a love a nice Mild. Easy to drink, cheap to produce and wipes the pants off most of our mid-strength beers in Australia. I have one fermenting now in fact :)

Coopers Lager, 500dme, Coopers BE2, Safale S-04, Chilled, Gelatin, clean and crisp, great easy beer.

Untitled-4.jpg

APA in front of a Batemans Combined Harvest bottle. Label is more interesting than their beer.
Give me XXXB anyday.
20100501_013_resized.jpg20100501_014_resized.jpg

P

Ahhhh i saw Peters name and a "whats in the glass" post............ i smiled and clicked strait away!

Wasnt disapointed. Great looking beers mate!

Goodonya

Ahhhh i saw Peters name and a "whats in the glass" post............ i smiled and clicked strait away!

Wasnt disapointed. Great looking beers mate!

Goodonya

Hey Tony,
Thanks for the kind comments.
Have I missed something or have you been holding out on us lately. :)
Hope you've been brewing.
Rgds,
Pete

Mmmmm i have a few pics on my camera but changed jobs and lost my laptop... camera software ect.

Im using my wifes laptop when i can and will have to load the software on it.

Latest posts

Back