Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fourstar sent me a dunkel in return for my Toucan headbanger stout.

Mate, Was a 'hazelnut' brown in the end, not a dunkel! :p turns out the dunkel was not in the fridge at the time. Hahaha!

This beer went middle of the road at VICBREW. Some stiff competition to say the least with really good scores. We have some really good scores out there. As for the Nationals, watch out for the VIC brewers! we're comin to get cha!

I've never tried a Dunkel, so wasn't sure what to expect. However I'm now a fan of hazelnut browns :lol:
Please don't send me the recipe as I would probably drink myself to death very rapidly B)

I've never tried a Dunkel, so wasn't sure what to expect. However I'm now a fan of hazelnut browns :lol:
Please don't send me the recipe as I would probably drink myself to death very rapidly B)

haha, soudns like a request for the recipe.. so here it is!

Hazelnut Brown Ale
American Brown Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/08/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 78.4 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.15 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.15 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
10.00 gm Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
10.00 gm Pearle [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
20.00 gm Pearle [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
3.00 gm Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
25.00 ml Hazelnut Extract (Bottling 0.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 %
Bitterness: 27.8 IBU
Est Color: 19.7 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.47 L of water at 73.4 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 7.70 L of water at 97.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
2g CaCl and 3 of NaHCO3 into the mash
3g ea of MgSO4 and CaCl
Add hazelnut extract to keg.

Mate, Was a 'hazelnut' brown in the end, not a dunkel! :p turns out the dunkel was not in the fridge at the time. Hahaha!

This beer went middle of the road at VICBREW. Some stiff competition to say the least with really good scores. We have some really good scores out there. As for the Nationals, watch out for the VIC brewers! we're comin to get cha!

One thing I didn't pick up was the Hazelnut. Thanks for sharing the recipe, that will be on my 'to do' list

Cheers and biggups to you Fourstar.

Sully

[quote name='O'Henry' post='531026' date='Oct 4 2009, 06:18 PM']I was wondering how it turned out. Looks fantastic! How did it differ from the early kegs of it, or is that too long ago to remember?[/quote]

Hey O'Henry,
Bitterness slightly smoothed out (was pretty smooth from the beginning). Melanoiden is softer, just.
All in all, 5 months lagering didnt make too much difference from 2 months.
Very happy with it. Off for another one now.

:icon_offtopic: What is the insulation on your hose Sully & where from? Will it insulate a skyhook?

TP

Edit ---- Thanks for the nice comments Peter W. :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Was going to pm you TP but if anyone else is interested I got it from Clarke Rubber, its either $5 or $7 a 1m length, don't recall exactly. Its made from the same sort of foam that is used in those pool noodle thinga-me-bobs. Comes in a huge range of grey and the ID fits neatly over the thick walled Silicone Hose. I put it on out of desperation to sort out my HERMS problem.

Cheers

Sully

Thanks Sully.... Will be needing some sort of insulation like that for my new place.... Font will be up on the balcony, keg freezer downstairs, with approx 3-5m beer line inbetween (yet to move in to subject to change!).

That insulation looks pretty much perfect.

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: Was going to pm you TP but if anyone else is interested I got it from Clarke Rubber, its either $5 or $7 a 1m length, don't recall exactly. Its made from the same sort of foam that is used in those pool noodle thinga-me-bobs. Comes in a huge range of grey and the ID fits neatly over the thick walled Silicone Hose. I put it on out of desperation to sort out my HERMS problem.

Cheers

Sully

Cheers Sully,

Just what I need.

TP

One thing I didn't pick up was the Hazelnut.
Sully

intersting considering its the dominating flavour... however it can be mistaken for nutella which is considered to be like chocolate anyway. Glad you liked mate!

Cheers.

intersting considering its the dominating flavour... however it can be mistaken for nutella which is considered to be like chocolate anyway. Glad you liked mate!

Cheers.

So that's what it was, and why I was suddenly on my back begging Sully to change my diaper B)

Edit: sorry I meant to say toddler trainers

Just finishing off a bottle of Cleanbrewers AIPA. What a top beer it is! Hops, malt and bitterness all come through and are well balanced I am guessing the alcohol is up there but is totally hidden, carbonation is spot on (low but not too low) . Thanks for the bottle mate has inspired and given me a high benchmark to aim for when I give the american style a proper nudge (once I am happy with stout and ESB).
This beer is right up there, Top job.
Cheers Brad

Just finishing off a bottle of Cleanbrewers AIPA. What a top beer it is! Hops, malt and bitterness all come through and are well balanced I am guessing the alcohol is up there but is totally hidden, carbonation is spot on (low but not too low) . Thanks for the bottle mate has inspired and given me a high benchmark to aim for when I give the american style a proper nudge (once I am happy with stout and ESB).
This beer is right up there, Top job.
Cheers Brad

Come on Brad, no need to Bullshit mate.... <_< No need to gloat just because I gave you a Beer for your help in bringing the Grain up... Must have been to hard to resist drinking it after that long drive... ;)

Nah, thanks Brad for your kind words, I need some feedback, I really like that beer and it gets a little nicer with some age, the alcohol on this come in at 7.3% but you dont notice it until youve had a few.. :icon_drunk:

Thanks again mate, gives me a big enthusiastic boost, got the same response from my "Leftovers A.I.P.A"

CB

[quote name='O'Henry' post='531036' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:42 PM']That looks absolutely delicious. Bit more info on the beauty?[/quote]

Gday O'Henry, it was a bit of a throw together beer really, just using up bits and pieces, but in the end it turned out damn nice! Actually really balanced, more towards the malt side but with the tiniest hint of citrus in the background that makes you want to keep going back for another sip just so you can find it again ;)

Heres the recipe

1.5kg Golden Promise
1.1kg Perle
800g Munich
120g Melanoiden
120g CaraAroma
200g Dark Crystal
400g Flaked maize - was running low on base malt

FWH - 6g Nugget, 6g Simcoe
30 - 5g Chinook, 8g Columbus
15 - 10g Amarillo, 10g Centennial, 5g SImcoe
FO - 12g Amarillo, 12g Simcoe, 20g Centennial, 12g Columbus

Fermented with 1469 :icon_drool2:

Rev: I know this has been done to death, but what temp did you ferment the 1469 at and does it through off a lot of esters and the like?

[quote name='O'Henry' post='531179' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:46 AM']Rev: I know this has been done to death, but what temp did you ferment the 1469 at and does it through off a lot of esters and the like?[/quote]

I pitched at 20*c and fermented up to 22*c, next to US-05 its the yeast ive used the most and IMO the esters it gives off, even fermented as high as 24-25*c are really pleasant and quite subtle...

I fermented an Irish red at 24-25*c (too high i know but no temp control) and the only negative ester I got was a tiny bit of a sweaty character, but it was so subtle I didnt notice it untill someone pointed it out...

If I used something like US-05 the beer wouldnt have been as balanced towards the malt side of things and the citrussy hops wouldve been ALOT more prominent..

Changing the subject.... :p If you like esters then Ringwood (sort of a close cousin of 1469) is brilliant. I actually ferment 1469 at around 18 degrees. I read an old article about Yorkshire Stone Squares which were invented about the same time as Captain Cook was getting a go on, and they used to ferment around 16 degrees which would make sense as Yorkshire can be bloody cold with an Easterly blowing off the North Sea up to the Pennines, and they needed a brewing technique and yeasts that enabled them to ferment cool whilst not actually lagering.
The South of England is a lot warmer. I never ventured south of Sheffield until I was 17 and on a holiday to the South Coast it seemed like the tropics to me and I even swam in the sea without screaming in pain :rolleyes: .

I have tried 1469 at 16 degrees but it just takes way too long, so I assume that whilst it's a Yorkie, it isn't exactly the same yeast they would have used in the old squares. 18 seems to be its sweet spot for doing clean beers like light coloured Stones or Theakstons type bitters, but up the temp to about 20 for TTL type pale ales.

I'm entering a modern golden summer ale done with 1469, in the Nationals and will be interested to get the score sheet/comments. Fermented at 18.

My last bottle of Belgian Rye :(

Man, is this good! Massive bubblegum aroma as I poured it into the glass, and even tho i bottled from the keg months ago its gained a wee bit of carbonation.. The spicy rye aroma still comes through at the end..

Tastes just devine, so smooth, slightly oily mouthfeel, damn drinkable and just awesome!!! So sad to see this one go, ill be savouring the bottle

Belgian_Rye.JPG

Back