Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice Ben. :icon_cheers:
Care to enlighten us on your means of storage over such a long time & perhaps the yeast used?
As an aside I'm planning my first Barleywine but unsure if standard tallies are good enough storage-wise? Am thinking champagne bottles? Waddya reckon?
Recipe for critique?

TP

I use glass bottles TP ;) :)
Can't comment on champagne vs tallies but I believe lonte on here, Michael Mowbray has issues with carbonation long term and suggested next time he would wax seal his barleywines. That's one examples though, other long term cellarers chime in here please...
I just keep mine in the cupboard under the stairs where it remains reasonably constant temp wise.

Yeast was 3463 Forbidden Fruit

Recipe is as follows.
Recipe: From Flanders to Rangpur
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
200.00 gm Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Extract 4.35 %
200.00 gm Brown Sugar, Light [Boil for 5 min] Extract 4.35 %
2800.00 gm Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 60.87 %
1000.00 gm Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 21.74 %
250.00 gm Melanoidin (Weyermann) (70.0 EBC) Grain 5.43 %
150.00 gm Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.26 %
15.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
20.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (2 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
10.00 items Sour Orange Rind (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
500.00 ml Sour Orange Juice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
700.00 ml Sour Orange Juice (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4200.00 gm
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 18.00 L of water at 69.4 C 65.6 C

Notes:
------
Caramelized 200g brown sugar with 700ml juice and all rind. Added 4L of first runnings for additional caramelization.
Boiled separately for approx 60 mins, added @45.
Added 500ml of boiled juice direct in primary.

Aussie Pale Ale.
Not a great example but a drinkable beer all the same. Made it at the wrong time of year I think. This would go down a treat in summer...

aussiepale2.jpg

Aussie Pale Ale.
Not a great example but a drinkable beer all the same. Made it at the wrong time of year I think. This would go down a treat in summer...

View attachment 31776

Looks good to me Ben but I'm interested in the glass & where you got it from?
Mate brought me back a Kozel last January only to find it broken when he opened his luggage.
sad-smiley-019.gif
so I'm still looking.
Have PM'd you on another matter.

TP

Picked it up at the local markets TP. I get heaps of glassware that way...

after spotting the kozel glass, I too was gonna ask the same where from? but thats been answered, as I am a beer glass collector and kozel is one I am chasing , so anyone knows were I can get a hold of 1 in newcastle, holla at a brewer!
Wicked elf as well people!

With thanks to AndrewQLD for this one, his St Louis Lager. first go with using rice, and rice is nice... it got big kudos from swmbo who though I was pushing commercial beer on her... nice one andrew, now I have to make more of this....

View attachment 31773

Nice lace there Maple, rice IS nice.

Cheers
Andrew

after spotting the kozel glass, I too was gonna ask the same where from? but thats been answered, as I am a beer glass collector and kozel is one I am chasing , so anyone knows were I can get a hold of 1 in newcastle, holla at a brewer!

hey mate go to warners at the bay bottlo and look above the counter desk they have a pretty big range of glasses, bought a kozel glass from there for the father in law btw their beer range is excellent too

Caramelized 200g brown sugar with 700ml juice and all rind. Added 4L of first runnings for additional caramelization.
Boiled separately for approx 60 mins, added @45.
Added 500ml of boiled juice direct in primary.

Sounds like the above is responsible for your comments "faded sourness and the sweet caramel note up front with the slight sour at the end" great to see another of your works of art escaping the bottle.

As an aside I'm planning my first Barleywine but unsure if standard tallies are good enough storage-wise? Am thinking champagne bottles?
Pete to bottle in Champagne bottles you need the larger crown seals and a tirage bell for your capper.

I got a free kozel glass with my order from the international beer shop...

never had a kozel...

hey mate go to warners at the bay bottlo and look above the counter desk they have a pretty big range of glasses, bought a kozel glass from there for the father in law btw their beer range is excellent too

Sounds like the above is responsible for your comments "faded sourness and the sweet caramel note up front with the slight sour at the end" great to see another of your works of art escaping the bottle.

Pete to bottle in Champagne bottles you need the larger crown seals and a tirage bell for your capper.
This was the first of the AG versions of this beer that came close to the quality of the orginal extract version. Seeing as how I can't / won't boil my AG one for 6 hours like the original I try and put a fair amount of caramelization in in a shorter time frame...

Some brown sugar with the orange rind and juice then about 4L of wort seems to work well.

Yet another glass of Hefe-weizen.
WEIZEN.jpg
Never seem to get sick of this stuff.
I really must get round to brewing a weizenbock again :icon_drool2: .

Here is my Alt i have on tap at the moment.

Its still a tad young but very nice.

cheers

Altbier832x1248.jpg

This was the first of the AG versions of this beer that came close to the quality of the orginal extract version. Seeing as how I can't / won't boil my AG one for 6 hours like the original I try and put a fair amount of caramelization in in a shorter time frame...

Some brown sugar with the orange rind and juice then about 4L of wort seems to work well.

Mmmm Marmalade :icon_drool2:

No pic here either haven't brewed since forever, soon, soon..............Have a todo list as long as my arm.

Screwy

Saison. Pic with the flash looked better but came out way too dark to show the true colour.
Last bottle from a batch done a year ago. Keg has been and gone a long time ago :)

Made with the seasonal WY3711. Man that stuff likes to ferment. Mashed at 64C and got down to 1004. Didn't have to ramp up the temp like I've read Saison yeasts can often need. Fermented around the 25C mark mostly.

saison.jpg

Looks the friggin goods mate, love the glass BTW.
Just tucking into a (ahem) few saisons myself :icon_drunk:

edit canna spell

Screwy
Brother in law in Sydney had similar to you and same procedure. That's seven years ago and new lease on life, goes sailing on the Pittwater and just replaced every window in his house with double glazing whilst suspended off a hire crane .. he's 73 :eek:
******* runs rings around me.'

Many happy years ahead mate. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back