Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fourstar i think when you wet your self it went in the glass. Can you filter homebrew would it be expensive? I would rather just use isinglass in my ales more traditional

Youd rather use a product made out of fish guts?? Really? :unsure:

I will look forward to seeing that.
cheers
grant
Will Post pictures when i see the results myself! Im sure Chappo will call me a racist at the end of it :p

Fourstar i think when you wet your self it went in the glass. Can you filter homebrew would it be expensive? I would rather just use isinglass in my ales more traditional

Filtering is quite common practice nowdays, see our sponsors above, im getting mine from craftbrewer. The filter is generally only going to be used when required for me such as lagers (for stability during storage) or beer thats going to be transported (to counteract rousing yeast.) Im happy with the results i get by natural conditioning, the beauty of a filter is you can accellerate the process gravity would be doing for you whcih equals a faster turnaround time.

I would not recommend somone to get a filter if they are new to brewing or not up to scratch with their beer handing post fermentation with transferring and racking as there are big chances of introducing oxygen and the effects of stripping out yeast can be detrimental to your final product. Especially if your beer stalled its fermentation.

The plan for me is to purge the filter with CO2 to counteract oxygen too. (yep, im paranoid but i dont want wet cardboard beer.)

I always have a chuckle when people say they are using filters to "speed up the lagering process". Just because the beer is clear doesn't mean it is any good. And if you filter a lager fine enough it will actually STOP the lagering process, not speed it up!

Its kind of the downfall of this thread in general. You could post a pic of Farmland Draught that had been fermented at 30deg and totally infected. But if it has been filtered you're guaranteed a couple of requests for the recipe! :lol: This thread is as much about photography as it is about beer.

I would not recommend somone to get a filter if they are new to brewing or not up to scratch with their beer handing post fermentation

Having not yet used the filter how do you quantify this statement FS?

Warren -

Having not yet used the filter how do you quantify this statement FS?
Warren -

Quantified the same way as its usually recommended new brewers should avoid racking. Mainly for avoiding another point of contamination and oxidation. When it comes to cleanliness and sanitation on the cold side im completly anal. E.g. A clean racking tube will usually be re-cleaned in sodium percarbonate if i havn't used it in several weeks and then sanitised.

Unfortunatly one of the biggest issues with new brewers is cleanliness, sanitisation and storage issues as most compare it to cleaning before household cooking when infact you need to go a alot further than that. Honestly, Im even slightly scared myself to use the filter.

The idea of deliberatly passing your beer through something that has the ability to store bacteria like a week old chux cloth seems pretty crazy. Its quite daunting but i know my cleaning and sanitation processes are up to scratch with the rest of my process. As long as i follow through the same with filtering and purge all transfer sides with CO2, i think im in the safe zone.

Maybe i doubt too much as ive seen some of the whacko things people consider 'sanitary'.

I always have a chuckle when people say they are using filters to "speed up the lagering process".
Its kind of the downfall of this thread in general. You could post a pic of Farmland Draught that had been fermented at 30deg and totally infected. But if it has been filtered you're guaranteed a couple of requests for the recipe! :lol: This thread is as much about photography as it is about beer.

I completly agree with your second statement there T.D. All this thread accomplishes is "look at my pretty beer". Unfortunatly we have to live without smell-o-vision and taste-o-vision! :p

My note about "speeding up the lagering process" is mainly pointed at removing trub/excessive yeast from suspension post fermentation for storage stability. Unfortunatly you cannot beat time to help develop flavours as the beer begins to break down but you can aid it in developing these flavours by removing unwanted material from your beer and aid in stability of your final product. Even post filtration i will end up with protien in my beer anyway. Have you seen old bottles of commercial euro lagers with 'fluffy bottoms'? Thats polyphenols/chill haze proteins right there. Either way i will end up with some material in my beer but im happer with magrinal amounts of unwanted material than excessive amounts.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

What I'm fairly certain is one of the final glasses left of my Alt before the keg runs dry :icon_drool2:

IMG_6622.jpg

Boagsy on another thread was asking about colour of Aussie Pales / CSA styles and I said I'd post a piccie: :icon_cheers:

This batch is 4000 BB ale, 200 wheat malt and 300 Carared:

View attachment 31451

what hops and yeast did you use? Am considering doing one of these for summer.

Cheers
Phil

With the Weyerman floor malted pils thread popping up again yesterday, I thought I'd take a sample of a pilsener I made with it. All saaz and fermented on a cake of 2000
Pilsener.jpg
Lagered for 3 weeks in a cube a 2 degrees, and another 3 weeks in the keg. Not quite ready yet, must be patient.

An amber ale I did 3 months ago. Lovely roasted flavour
Should go down well with the roast pork thats in the weber :icon_chickcheers:

AmberAle.jpg

IMG_0398.JPG

Found 2 Tallies of about my 2nd or 3rd brew ever about 1.5 years ago, just a Coopers Pale Ale(as recorded on label-kit beer)

Tastes not to bad actually.......... :)

:icon_cheers: CB

Found 2 Tallies of about my 2nd or 3rd brew ever about 1.5 years ago, just a Coopers Pale Ale(as recorded on label-kit beer)

Tastes not to bad actually.......... :)
I found an old Coopers Lager from over two years ago during my search for more PET bottles.... it was still watery and horrid :) It's taken two schooners of a dark AG brew just to wash the taste out of my mouth!

That at least looks like a reasonable drop, amazing how time can help cleanup a beer.

I found an old Coopers Lager from over two years ago during my search for more PET bottles.... it was still watery and horrid :) It's taken two schooners of a dark AG brew just to wash the taste out of my mouth!

That at least looks like a reasonable drop, amazing how time can help cleanup a beer.

Yeh mate, all my old brews that I knew were undrinkable these days went to work for beer batter.... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Modern English Summer Ale
Light in body with Golden Promise and Polenta, and well hopped with Target, EKG and Styrians.

modern_summer_ale__Large_.jpg

SNC00144.jpg

My Rochefort 8 clone I did up for a mate's wedding - now 12 months in the bottle and some lovely raisiny tones...

Attachments

• SNC00145.jpg
    SNC00145.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
Mate that looks awesome B) Care to share the recipe?

Recipe: Rochefort
Brewer: Rooting Kings
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 16.00 L
Boil Size: 12.08 L
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 64.34 %
0.80 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.71 %
0.40 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7.35 %
0.20 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.68 %
0.04 kg Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 0.74 %
14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
14.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 minHops 9.6 IBU
14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
14.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (20 minHops 5.8 IBU
0.50 kg Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 9.19 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale

I mashed at 66. I added the sugar during teh boil but experience with a Dubbel later on would make me do that during fermentation now.

The flaked wheat was actually plain home brand flour.

I am planning on doing it again and using Special B in place of the Amber...or perhaps two batches to do a side by side. :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back