Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ngne Ut P Tur

P7040001.JPG

An unusual beer, licorice, pine trees, toffee and sour ginger at the end. Alot going on but not a regular tipple.

Cheers
Chris

Not in the glass yet but tasted this at the Sydney food and wine show yesterday. Lovely thick dark scotch ale. Not too many regrets paying $10 for it. Will be waiting for my reidel beer glasses to come through before I open it and will post in glass.

For those who went, hope you picked up the bargain of the show - 3 x 500ml stone and wood pacific ales for $10!

IMG_0102.JPG

@TasChris - I got the saison from them. Yet to try, of course.

ATM, from my Nectar takings, I'm having the most boring beer I got. Bridge Road Galaxy IPA - seriously, this is an IPA (I know that sounds stupid/drunken pontificating, but bear with me). It smelled like passionfruit punch when I poured it. Nice firm creamy head, massive aroma. But it is genuinely bitter - not passionfruit punch to taste. I probably would have gone for a little caramunich or something to balance, but an IPA isn't about balance, it's about bitterness.

Great summer beer, I'd reckon. All the more reason to grab a truckload of galaxy and start knocking out some beers for summer.

Goomba

re: Nogne O Two Captains
The two captains was an awesome beer, bum, though I'm not sure how you'll like it... It wasn't big hop aroma in your face like an American example of a big IPA or IIPA, but it was a very flavoursome hoppy example with a huge malt profile to back up all that bitterness. It really is as it looks too; like a hop soup, with a very rich, languid mouthfeel
You're right, I would be expecting a big aroma but your observation above is what I thought (and what appealed) when I saw the picture. I also know not to have any concrete expectations from a Nogne brew - except, possibly, that it won't be like any beer I've had before.
Finally cracked one of these tonight. Even with my post above taken in to account I was still a little taken aback by this beer - partly Nogne O's habit of brewing beer that just aren't what you expect and partly because of schooey. I "blame" schooey because this beer does have a reasonably large hop aroma. Much bigger than pretty much any US version (i.e. import, not style) of an IPA that I've had in this country but it is not big in the same way as that style usually is, it is a much more...um, I dunno, thicker smell? - hard to explain, this thickness is not entirely malt derived. And not just kinda big but really bloody nice - so nice that SWMBO took one look at me when I smelled it and asked if she should check to see if I'd moved "downstairs" (my euphemism, none of you need to know exactly how vulgar SWMBO can be). But the taste is not at all what I expected (even when I tried my best not to expect anything specific). I've had a few beers that look like this (see schooey's post of 09/06) but the mouthfeel and flavour was entirely different. Shit. I'll stop rambling here - this beer defies description for me. Sorry.

It was a nice beer.

Had a James Squire 150 Lashes over lunch today (on tap) pretty forgettable beer. Very pale in the glass, maybe 5 or 7srm. Odds choice as a seasonal release in the middle of winter. Some very slight fruity citrusy aromas followed by a thin body with no real malt flavour... Maybe a touch grainy/biscuity. Supposedly Nelson sav and Amarillo, but only got the slightest bit of hop flavor. Wasn't expecting much and didn't get much, but could be very sessionable. On par with the way the golden ale currently is.... Ie disappointing.

Had a James Squire 150 Lashes over lunch today (on tap) pretty forgettable beer. Very pale in the glass, maybe 5 or 7srm. Odds choice as a seasonal release in the middle of winter. Some very slight fruity citrusy aromas followed by a thin body with no real malt flavour... Maybe a touch grainy/biscuity. Supposedly Nelson sav and Amarillo, but only got the slightest bit of hop flavor. Wasn't expecting much and didn't get much, but could be very sessionable. On par with the way the golden ale currently is.... Ie disappointing.

Not that it makes any difference, but I think this is an addition to their permanent line up!

055e9d4c.jpg

Don't think I'll be revisiting this one for a while. Kind of half arsed Belgian with some Brett in it IMO

whoa just shows how different everyones paletes are. orval is one of my all time favourite beers.

Had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the first time on the weekend for my birthday - It was bloody bewwwdifulll.

whoa just shows how different everyones paletes are. orval is one of my all time favourite beers.

This one was pretty much exactly half way through the bottled and best before date so if I do try it again it'll either be extremely fresh or well near the end of life, as I understand it the flavor can change quite a bit over time with this beer

This one was pretty much exactly half way through the bottled and best before date so if I do try it again it'll either be extremely fresh or well near the end of life, as I understand it the flavor can change quite a bit over time with this beer

If you can find a fairly fresh batch, I promise you will not be disappointed. When young, under 6 months, it is a great beer. After that it changes a lot and it becomes a love or hate type beer. I love it :drinks:

re: Nogne O Two Captains

Finally cracked one of these tonight. Even with my post above taken in to account I was still a little taken aback by this beer - partly Nogne O's habit of brewing beer that just aren't what you expect and partly because of schooey. I "blame" schooey because this beer does have a reasonably large hop aroma. Much bigger than pretty much any US version (i.e. import, not style) of an IPA that I've had in this country but it is not big in the same way as that style usually is, it is a much more...um, I dunno, thicker smell? - hard to explain, this thickness is not entirely malt derived. And not just kinda big but really bloody nice - so nice that SWMBO took one look at me when I smelled it and asked if she should check to see if I'd moved "downstairs" (my euphemism, none of you need to know exactly how vulgar SWMBO can be). But the taste is not at all what I expected (even when I tried my best not to expect anything specific). I've had a few beers that look like this (see schooey's post of 09/06) but the mouthfeel and flavour was entirely different. Shit. I'll stop rambling here - this beer defies description for me. Sorry.

It was a nice beer.

Well I'm happy to accept the 'blame'.. agreed, it did have a nice aroma, but I'd some how made the presumption that you'd be more fond of the big in your face C-hop type aromas that I'm told are consistent with the big Lagunitas and Russian River I/IPA's. I guess that's what happens when one assumes. Still wondering if yours was a little fresher than mine and the aroma was more prominent though....

Glad you enjoyed it; I really did!

Could easily have been badly treated (heat kills them), despite not being out of date. I rarely buy belgians here in Perth as its a bit of a lottery. Such complex, delicate beers dont hold up well to the rigours of non-refrigerated travel.

Still wondering if yours was a little fresher than mine and the aroma was more prominent though....
Unless my Norwaydish is failing me I think mine was brewed last year (best before still had four years left on it though). Perhaps my lowered expectations for the aroma amplified it? Either way, it still smelled really bloody nice and I certainly didn't have to go searching for the aroma.

Had their Imperial Brown Ale tonight. Probably the safest of the beers I've had from this brewery but no less tremendous than the rest.

As for Laguinitas and Russian River: I'm not the greatest fan of the former (while I do have tremendous respect for the risks they take, some of their beers are down-right confusing - but their IPA on tap is a very nice session beer if you like your sessions big) and I think the later is a tremendous brewery but, to be honest, I really only properly enjoyed half of tasting paddle I had at the brewery (although that paddle was 16 beers strong so it is hard to be too critical).

The dislike for Orval lately has made me sad. The brett is quite subdued in the younger versions of the beer, but with aging (even 1 year on it) the brett comes out a lot more. I love Orval fresh, aged, out of code, don't care, I think it is one of those beers that has been developed by geniuses.

Could easily have been badly treated (heat kills them), despite not being out of date. I rarely buy belgians here in Perth as its a bit of a lottery. Such complex, delicate beers dont hold up well to the rigours of non-refrigerated travel.
I have had quite a few Orvals and they are the my favorite beer when in good condition, but are horrible when treated poorly.

Cheers
Chris

this was my first Orval experience...
Very disapointing...

IMG_0573_1_.jpg

The dislike for Orval lately has made me sad. The brett is quite subdued in the younger versions of the beer, but with aging (even 1 year on it) the brett comes out a lot more. I love Orval fresh, aged, out of code, don't care, I think it is one of those beers that has been developed by geniuses.

I read a magazine article a few years ago where the author had a tasting of new, 1 year, 6 year and 24 year old Orval. Obviously, all bottles had a different character with the brett in the 24 year old being very subdued. I view such an opportunity as fantastic and regrettably, one I'm unlikely to experience. Although, it would appear this is a beer like many, not to everyone's taste.

Foles makes a salient point about the handling that holds true for all beer. Poor handling and storage will rob any beer of many of the positive attributes it has to offer. Orval is not an exception.

Picked these up from the local bottle-o this arvo. Sorry about the poor photo quality. :(

The Paulaner's are out of date and were $13 a 6 pack but will see how they go.

Attacking my first wheat beer soon so I am tasting a few! :D

IMG_0099.JPG

The Orval I had was quite gassy, which I wasn't expecting. But I also didn't think too hard about it as I understand Brett keeps slowly fermenting

Back