Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze
Signed up for Beer Masons through a half price deal and this is first off the rank...
Not the most intense of the style I've ever tried but beautifully refreshing with a lemony twist and a slight sour finish...
Would be a great beer to sit sipping on a hot day, oh wait, that's exactly what I'm doing as it is bloody humid up here...

buerselguezue.jpg

Ska Brewing Ten Pin Porter
Very smooth in the mouth with a nice background of roast malt to balance the initial crystal malt sweetness and hint of chocolate
This is a very nice beer actually.

skaporter.jpg

P1290266.jpg

Due to a recent intrigue into all beers funky, this is my first ever venture into this beer... Wow! So much going on...

Malts and leather and bready aromas and then the flavours are another mind bender...this could be a long lasting friendship!

I was lucky enough to share one of these with two really great people in Adelaide last year; Hatchy and his wife... I bought one to bring home to age for a bit with the intention of drinking it on a special occasion and seeing how much it would mellow out... Since it's my 21st anad 18th all over again today, I thought I'd crack it...

P1310270.jpg

P1310273.jpg

Christ on a bike this is an awesome beer! The age has treated it well and even at $40 a bottle I wish I had of bought 3 or 4. Drinkng it last year the hops were in your face; a true assault on the nose and palate. Whilst an awesome beer in t's own rght, I think the age has served it well. Now it's like a hopped up Imperial Barley Wine. The hop aroma is still there, but subdued and blended with the rich dark fruit character and vanillas of the malt and yeast. The hop flavour is also still there but it's like the hop vines were fed on plum pudding...

I think I'm in love....

I have been searching for a beer to put in champagne bottles for the son's 21'st in 10 or so years time and I think this has provided some inspiration to do a huge hopped, insane barley wine... If I'm half as successful it will be an awesome beer!

I've had this tucked away for a while and decided to drink it the other night. I had really been looking forward to it..

View attachment 38406

View attachment 38407

:(

I was sooooo disappointed. There was a funky medicinal smell in the aroma, only small roasty notes in the background with some slight malty notes but it was hard to get anything for the overpowering band-aidy nose up front. As you can gather from the aroma, the taste wasn't so flash either. Really weird funky flavours, none that I'd expect to find even in an oak aged beer.

Moo Brew Imperial Stout is built around showcasing the rich dark chocolate obtained through the use of specialty malts. Roast and astringent characteristics are present but relatively restrained and balanced. The palette is carried by a complex matrix of high residual sugar and bitterness elevated to maintain balance, with an active alcohol vector to enhance the delivery of the flavours.

Chocolate? Nada...
Astringent? I'd say more than restrained
Balanced? Not in my opinion

Anyway, I guess I was just disappointed in paying $30 for a beer that had been given such a build up. I'll probably still take up my offer og getting the next release to see what the difference is and hope like hell that maybe it was just the one bottle or that it had been harshly mistreated along the way somewhere

So I kept my word and I bought my next alloted bottle when it came up...

P1310277.jpg

P1310278.jpg

Man! .... :(

Again I'm really disappointed with this beer... It's so overcarbed it was a struggle to get it in the glass, as you can see from the massive head on the beer. The carbonic bite maes it nearly impossible to decipher any of the complex flavours that do actually lurk beneath.

So I tapped it on the bench a bit and left it for 20 minutes on the bench to try and get some CO2 out of solution...

back again and it is a different beer, but it's still a disappointment... It reminds me a lot of a really unbalanced bourbon infused beer I bought from the Steam Exchange brewery (truffles???) whilst I was in Adelaide at the same time. The oak aging contributing to the bourbon factor, but it could just be a bias towards the over carbing because the truffles suffered from the same complaint.

On the good side, there are no weird and wonderful medicinal flavours this time. Lots of dried fruit flavours, very reminiscent of plum pudding, backed up with some rich, sweet malt and a slight alcohol warming jumps out. The finish is a reasonably smooth, dry biterness.

If the progression of quality continues on the same line, maybe bottle number three in this journey might be a winner, but I'm still not sure whether it will be worth the $40 they'll probably ask for it, especially compared to the previously reviewed beer that clearly blows this one out of the water on the quality front for the same money

OK I apologise for borrowing a photo from elsewhere but I didn't get to the camera in time for this beer but I wanted to put it here because I really enjoyed this one.
A nice aggressive hoppiness with a clean strong supporting malt background and a lovely combination of hops and spiciness on the aroma.
Described as alternatively as a Belgian IPA or a hopped Belgian Golden Ale, but a really nice complex delicious beer no matter which way you attempt to categorise it.

deranke.jpg

Just finished an 8 Wired Tall Poppy.

Aromas of US hops balanced by a great malt backbone. Flavours are a little on the sweet side with decent hop bitterness on the finish. A little too easy drinking given the 7% abv.

Good stuff

All I have to say about this beer is what my mate Jay said when I first gave him a glass.

"Holy f*ck"

'Trappist Westvleteren 12'

About half a year out of 'Best Before Date', but it still stands up amongst all the beers I have had.

Into a glass, it pours fairly badly, next to no head. But that is about the same when I got them fresh and what is to be expected from such a big ABV beer.

Head dies down to almost nothing, but intense dried fruit aromas and flavours remain. Good hit of plum/prune and raisin - it seems the longer I've aged it the more intense this has become. Even though it is intense it is still not overbearing, if anything it has really improved with age.

It is hard to pick malt flavours over all the esters etc. present, but it is soooo well balanced it really puts other beers to shame.

Hops are almost non existent after this period of ageing but there is definitely some decent bitterness present, but it gets lost (yet incredibly well balanced) in the overpowering intense raisin, plum, prune and sherry flavours. I suppose the sherry is brought about by the age and slight oxidation, but I really couldn't care because this tastes so damn good!

Overall, this would have to be as close to perfection as I could rate a beer. Even at a younger age, I thought this beer was good but now I am completely blown away again.

10/10

The only thing is I feel bad for the monks that made this beer; They haven't tried to make the top beer in the world, they've just tried to sustain their monastery. I feel really bad for buying it of EBay a couple years ago against their wishes and I will definitely send some money towards them, if not make the pilgrimage myself.

Dan

I've got myself a MAD Scribblygum Lager, which I'm finding remarkably like the Kotbusser I brewed recently. Interesting smokey molasses like flavour and something else I can't quite put my finger on.

cheers

grant

I've got myself a MAD Scribblygum Lager, which I'm finding remarkably like the Kotbusser I brewed recently. Interesting smokey molasses like flavour and something else I can't quite put my finger on.

cheers

grant
oh man I had that monstosity at the james squire pub in melbourne the other night. I didn't realise you could get it in bottles. It tasted a lot like one of awesome fury's infected beers. it was foul. smoke malt in a light lager doesn't do it for me sorry.

So after the latest haul from Cellarbrations @ Carlisle, the beer cupboard is looking pretty good.
06b3678b.jpg

Inventory:
*Gage Roads Trippel x 2
*Les Trois Mousquetaires APA & Baltic Porter
*8Wired HopWired and Tall Poppy
*Mikkeller: 1000 IBU, Big Worst Barleywine, Beer Hop Breakfast, Beer Geek Breakfast (Speyside Edition), Beer Geek Brunch (Weasel Edition)
*BrewDog: Tokyo, Abstrackt #2, #3, #4
*Nogne O: Sweet Horizon x 2, Sunturnbrew, Andhrimnir Barleywine
*Stone: Double Arrogant & Arrogant *******, Ruination IPA, Levitation Ale
*Epic: Armageddon, Potamarillo Collab x 2
*Bear Republic: Hop Rod Rye, Racer 5 IPA
*St Ambroise Pumpkin Ale
*Sierra Nevada: 2010 Bogfoot Barleywine x 2, Torpedo Extra IPA, 30th Anniversary Jack & Kens Ale (Black Barleywine)
*Coopers 2009 Vintage Ale

I'll drink 'em one day :D

Mitch :)

I tried that Stefano's Pilsner from Mildura. I think it is well made and all, and has a nice hop nose, though though not following through into the mid, the main thing for me is that I am missing the pilsner malt thing. I am guessing 'domestic' pils malt. Highly drinkable, but I did not get those beautiful perfumey malt notes that comes from the best European pilsners.

I tried that Stefano's Pilsner from Mildura. I think it is well made and all, and has a nice hop nose, though though not following through into the mid, the main thing for me is that I am missing the pilsner malt thing. I am guessing 'domestic' pils malt. Highly drinkable, but I did not get those beautiful perfumey malt notes that comes from the best European pilsners.
That beer is about the only ok beer that they make. The quality does change. Sometimes it is ok sometimes it is very ordinary.

end another mini rant

I had mountain goat hightail the other day. I have had it before from dan's out of a bottle and i wasn't that excited. After having it fresh off tap... Now that is a top beer!!

I had the Storm Cloudy thing recently from a workmate's recommendation, and it is OK, had a bit of a harsh edge, but I was assuming that it was the abovementioned liquor retailer's treatment which may have lead to that. I thought it was like a Coopers Sparkling crossed with an APA, which was kind of better than I was expecting.

oh here is a fresh one............ not yet on the shelves!

Hahn White.............again for the Hahn plebs googling for interest..... Hahn White. Read up plebs, here is my opinion!

Its a whitbier style....... nowhere near hoegaarden........ it lacks that fluffy wheat mouth feel, it lacks any yeast character at all.
It has a slightly hazy apperance which is suprising for a mega swill brand. flavour of orange and corriander tastes like chemical perfume and is way to strong. It needs to be half to ballance the beer. Its like a amack in the face to be honnest, it doesnt become tiring through the glass. However, i wouldnt be able to drink more than 2 of these in a row.

I took a 4 pack of Hoe's to the kind LN employee's place to try after i was given these to try. He has not had a Whitbier before but does have a love for fine craft beers and fine wines. He said..... why cant Hahn brew a beer like this???
I mentioned this coment to a brewing workmate of mine today (goathearder) and he said the obvious...... they can but wont!

I agree!

Its going to be marketed to be drank with a wedge of orange as aposed to a wedge of lemon as is usual with tasteless beers. This beer aint tasteless...... just the taste is a tad overdone, and tastes a bit fake like its from a bottle, not from real fruit and spice.

All in all..... its not a bad effort from a megaswill mob to market an unusual style to the Australian public. It not something i will buy but it will be interesting to see how it goes and if it changes. I now have a reference :)

cheers

...Hey Tony dunno if you might remember but Hahn actually had a Hahn Witbier back in the day...t'was an honest stab at a witbier, competent, drinkable and in a sexy bottle...i'm guessing some where between 2001- 2005...anyone else remember ? the year or two before that they - sorry- Malt Shovel released the Mad Brewers Australian White Beer....first release great, unfortunately the following years was infected....so it seems Hahn/Malt Shovel/Mad Brewers have a bit of history when it comes to brewing Wits...

Cheers
Scott

Had the Rogue 'Yellow Snow' IPA tonight.

Another tasty drop, nice lacy head - hopping was Amerillo & a home grown rogue variety. Nice but could have been a tad smoother on the bitterness imo.

Great clarity, light golden in colour, and medium carbonation.

So many beers in the fridge at the local Earl of Liecester... not cheap, but tasty!

So after the latest haul from Cellarbrations @ Carlisle, the beer cupboard is looking pretty good.
06b3678b.jpg

Inventory:
*Gage Roads Trippel x 2
*Les Trois Mousquetaires APA & Baltic Porter
*8Wired HopWired and Tall Poppy
*Mikkeller: 1000 IBU, Big Worst Barleywine, Beer Hop Breakfast, Beer Geek Breakfast (Speyside Edition), Beer Geek Brunch (Weasel Edition)
*BrewDog: Tokyo, Abstrackt #2, #3, #4
*Nogne O: Sweet Horizon x 2, Sunturnbrew, Andhrimnir Barleywine
*Stone: Double Arrogant & Arrogant *******, Ruination IPA, Levitation Ale
*Epic: Armageddon, Potamarillo Collab x 2
*Bear Republic: Hop Rod Rye, Racer 5 IPA
*St Ambroise Pumpkin Ale
*Sierra Nevada: 2010 Bogfoot Barleywine x 2, Torpedo Extra IPA, 30th Anniversary Jack & Kens Ale (Black Barleywine)
*Coopers 2009 Vintage Ale

I'll drink 'em one day :D

Mitch :)

Why not enjoy them over two days - then you'll remember them for at least the third :icon_drunk:

Estrella Damm Inedit - I think $8 or $9 for a 750ml from Red Bottle Alexandria.

inedit.jpg

It's probably a beer that should have been drunk fresher than I'm having it today. It's a cloudy lager, with subtle (as to be non-existent) spice notes. 4.8%ABV. Out of the fridge (and the ice bucket! see below) it's fairly tasteless, but has a lovely mouthfeel, considering how dry it is. Carbonation is very low. When it warms up, a slight wit influence comes out, but it's by no means strong.

It's brewed by Estrella Damm, but the recipe was devised with Estrella Damm brewmasters and Ferran Adria (of El Bulli, one of the best restaurants in the world for some time now).

From the booklet:

The Booklet said:
Inedit means "Never been done before". In cooperation with the brewmasters of the Estralla Damm, Inedit was crafted by the globally acclaimed chef Ferran Adria, Juli Soler and sommeliers Ferran Centelles and David Seijas from the elBulli Restaurant.

Inedit was created to pair with the most exquisite and challenging foods. Foods that contain: Citrus and Oils: ie. salads, vinegar based sauces, Bitter Notes: ie. asparagus, artichokes, rucula. Oily textures: ie. salmon, tuna, fatty cheese.

A skillfully brewed blend of lager and what beer styles. Inedit uses a combination of barley malt, wheat, hops, coriander, orange peel, yeast and water.

Uniquely brewed to create a compelx aroma and opaque appearance, a floral nose leaves a sensation of fresh yeast and sweet spices. Lightly carbonated with a creamy texture, the soft, full body leaves a long and lasting finish.

It is recommended that Inedit is enjoyed chilled in a white wine glass and kept in an ice bucket after serving.

The beer specifically created to pair with food.

It's by no means life changing, but over all, I quite enjoy this beer - I could smash a few at a BBQ, especially with a big plate of spicy BBQ'd octopus. And I love the bottle. It's like a nice wine bottle with a crown seal and embossed Estrella Damm lettering above the label in the pic.

Latest posts

Back