Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get to try the Sumpin Ale but had a bottle of the Brown Sugga recently. It was one my favourite beers, after a glass @ 9.9% the effects of the alcohol made themselves known too :) Would love to brew a clone, if only time will permit!

Lagunitas The Censored Copper Ale
Nice hoppy american amber with solid crystal and other malt character to back it up. At least I got what I expected with this one :)

View attachment 44744

Lagunitas The Censored Copper Ale
Nice hoppy american amber with solid crystal and other malt character to back it up. At least I got what I expected with this one :)

View attachment 44744

I've been meaning to try some of the Lagunitas range, they have a really good rep.
Nectar, Ben?

Hahaha.. a bit O/T but this is pretty much what I've brewed for the HUB brewing challenge. I called it 'The Hoptart', an Imperial American Wheat, if you like...
No rumours or anything Tony.... ;)

Brouwerij Verhaeghe Vichtenaar
Flanders Red

The colour is an beautiful deep copper with a rocky head.
It's a bit sweeter and I expected I guess. lacking the sourness I was expecting.

There's a hint of cherry, some vanilla and then just a hint of sourness at the end.
An interesting beer but perhaps not to the taste of a sour nut like me.

I think this beer would be better as a food match perhaps than on its own but enjoyable in its own way.

View attachment 44745

I've been meaning to try some of the Lagunitas range, they have a really good rep.
Nectar, Ben?
Only available from one source in Oz Winkle, will see if I can secure a few for you :)

Beer Mason's packs are worth the $$$, especially for the Lagunita's beer glass jar :icon_chickcheers:

Only available from one source in Oz Winkle, will see if I can secure a few for you :)

Beer Mason's packs are worth the $$$, especially for the Lagunita's beer glass jar :icon_chickcheers:
second this, well worth it.

the only problem with the beer masons store is the Lagunitas pils isn't available in it.

I got a different glass, the Verhaeghe one in the pic in my post above...

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale
The Beer Mason's Blurb described this as an American Wheat so when I grabbed it out of the fridge without further reading and poured it I expected something light on the malt but with a little hop hit, an easy drinking summer beer for the first of the evening. One sip had me heading back for the label to discover I was drinking a 7% 60+IBU beer with a delicious hop flavour.
Really nice beer but a far cry from any American Wheat I've had so far...

The oily juicy hop flavour dominated without being overbalanced, once I got over the mental block of what I had been expecting.

View attachment 44743

have you tried the little sumpin wild? its basically the same beer fermented with a belgian strain and is also an exellent beer.

have you tried the little sumpin wild? its basically the same beer fermented with a belgian strain and is also an exellent beer.
I haven't... I've only tried what came in the pack, which was this one, the amber and the IPA. I haven't tried the latter yet...

"Gulden Draak" golden dragon i think

10.5 % alc./vol. dark red strong belgium beer with refermentation.

pretty cool bottle lable.. plastic shrink wrap of sorts. but wow what a strong ale ! full of currents and almost port like flavours that hang around for ages in your mouth. probly better for the middle of winter but i could not wait :drinks:
View attachment 44777

"Gulden Draak" golden dragon i think

10.5 % alc./vol. dark red strong belgium beer with refermentation.

pretty cool bottle lable.. plastic shrink wrap of sorts. but wow what a strong ale ! full of currents and almost port like flavours that hang around for ages in your mouth. probly better for the middle of winter but i could not wait :drinks:
View attachment 44777
Just seeing that bottle brings back very fond memories!
What a crackingly good beer. Been meaning to get my hands on some for a number of years...certainly would be amazing on cold winters night.

Just seeing that bottle brings back very fond memories!
What a crackingly good beer. Been meaning to get my hands on some for a number of years...certainly would be amazing on cold winters night.

pretty sure 1st choice stock them now if thats any help. i got mine from begium shop online

I had the misfortune of trying a Tui East India Pale Ale this evening. I was surprised the bottlo I went to was selling a NZ brewed IPA and now I understand why. This was a characterless beer that is rather similar to the megabrewed "blondes" in the market at the moment. No malt character, no hop flavour or aroma and, as I realised after driving off, 4% abv.

There were no major flaws in this beer, but I fail to see how they can get away with serving a characterless, 4% beer like that under the label of an IPA (from a quick google search I think it's even be a lager, it certainly tasted like one!)

If you went to an indian restaurant an ordered a Vindaloo you wouldn't necessarily expect a perfect example of a traditional recipe. But if you got something that tasted exactly like butter chicken you'd send it back and never go to the restaurant again.

I'll be emailing them expressing my disgust, if not at the beer, at the fact they have the cheek to call it an IPA!

EDIT: Feedback left with the brewery and I feel much better about myself.

On a more positive note, I tried an endeavour amber ale last might and loved it. Nice chocolate malt and raisin character. A bit of spicy POR character was perfect in this as well.

I had the misfortune of trying a Tui East India Pale Ale this evening.

I'll be emailing them expressing my disgust, if not at the beer, at the fact they have the cheek to call it an IPA!

I stood in the coolroom at Uncle Dans on friday umming and aaring on whether to buy a carton of this, had never
heard of it so i thought i'll go the safe option and buy a carton of coopers..glad i spent my coin on the sparkling ales
instead..

be interested to hear what they have to say if they reply..

also tried the Monteiths Golden ale.. :icon_vomit: tipped it down the sink after the second mouthful..how they get away
with selling that carbonated yellow water is beyond me..

I had the misfortune of trying a Tui East India Pale Ale this evening. I was surprised the bottlo I went to was selling a NZ brewed IPA and now I understand why. This was a characterless beer that is rather similar to the megabrewed "blondes" in the market at the moment. No malt character, no hop flavour or aroma and, as I realised after driving off, 4% abv.
I was more than disappointed when I tried Tui for the first time, more than a few years ago.
They say IPA, and even some British IPA's are exactly there...according to the BJCP...but Tui is more like the Aussie beer of similiar name than any sort of IPA...hops!?
Yeah, you're allowed to make that mistake once.

gez this one must off got lost somewhere ?
JS hopthief winter 09 !
cant remember what it was like other than that i liked it <_< hhmm but it does seem to be rather delicious tonight !
F-all hop aroma at first but best befor feb 2010 might have something to do with that :lol:
but after each sup there is such a full hop burst flavour dancing in the back of my mouth ,
reminds me of alpha pale ale. it is quite intense.
A mellow sort of nutty malt flavour has me really enjoying this little beauty :icon_cheers:

View attachment 44902

After reading many reviews about how bad it was I thought I would try Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum to see for myself!

Lets just say the reviews were right. Surely the beginning of the introduction of high alcohol/low taste (aka malt liquor) booze to fuel a bit more agro in pubs/parks and other late night venues etc.

Back