Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stood in the coolroom at Uncle Dans on friday umming and aaring on whether to buy a carton of this, had never
heard of it so i thought i'll go the safe option and buy a carton of coopers..glad i spent my coin on the sparkling ales
instead..

be interested to hear what they have to say if they reply..

also tried the Monteiths Golden ale.. :icon_vomit: tipped it down the sink after the second mouthful..how they get away
with selling that carbonated yellow water is beyond me..
I agree 100% :icon_vomit:

I drank 3 of the Sam Adams Summer Ales this evening. I have to say that I am not a fan of spiced or similar beers, especially when released in small batches, where the spicing can be out of balance. As is Sam Adams' usual way, they are on point. Even though it is heavy handed with the lemon peel, it is very refreshing, and I kind of want to wash it down with another one. I would guage that as a measure of success. It is kind of like sherbert, marmalade and gin and/or Cointreau in a beer.

I enjoyed the Samuel Adams Summer Ale.. loved the refreshing lemon zest with the peppery background...

nice beer.

A few that I had last night:
e96fc7d4.jpg

Nogne O Two Captains DIPA. Once again, the winner from the Nogne O homebrew competition gets to brew his recipe at the brewery.
Defiinetly a Double IPA - hopbag aroma, earthy as well. Great bittering.

e3de12e2.jpg

Infinium. Light and spritzy like sparkling wine. It was okay. I'm glad I only bought one bottle though.

374eb642.jpg

Epic/DogFish Head collab beer Portamarillo. This was like smoked bacon in a bottle. Yum!

Mitch :D

Just out of curiosity Mitch, where did you get the Portamarillo? I'd love to get my hands on it if it's still floating about.

I know nothing new or specially exciting, but it's good to come home on a Friday and find a forgotten Leffe Tripple in the fridge.

9d96d48d.jpg

Just out of curiosity Mitch, where did you get the Portamarillo? I'd love to get my hands on it if it's still floating about.
Not sure where you're situated Will88 but I picked a bottle of the Portamarillo last week at the International Beer Shop in Leederville, Perth.

Yeh, I just looked around my local (Brisbane) craft bottle shops and couldn't find it. Fortunately I was able to order one from Slowbeer though.

Yeah mate, I have to order all my beers like this from Perth. I got mine from the lovely lads at Cellarbrations at Carlisle. I have to say, I really enjoyed that Portamarillo, and safe to say i'm glad I bought two bottles :)

After reading many reviews about how bad it was I thought I would try Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum to see for myself!

Lets just say the reviews were right. Surely the beginning of the introduction of high alcohol/low taste (aka malt liquor) booze to fuel a bit more agro in pubs/parks and other late night venues etc.
I used to try any different beer that I found. Didn't matter if I knew it wasn't going to be that crash hot, I would try it.
Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum was the beer that changed my rule. It was that bad...

MOylans Kilt Lifter
Scotch Ale
Nice malty rich ale. Plenty of smooth malt without being too sweet. Holds the 8% well.

Excuse the crappy pic, couldn't be bothered digging out the good camera...
View attachment 45022

Haand Byrggeriet Hesjeol
Recreation of a harvest ale from old Norway apparently.

Kind of a rich sweet malt, but with a reasonable bitterness. Not any real crystal malt flavour, mostly a base malt character, without being lacking in flavour.

Something like a saison crossed with a scottish ale perhaps? Hard to categorise but very nice to drink...

Edit: Just read the notes and apparently it hase barley oats and rye. Oats explains the smoothness, but I didn't get much rye slickness or spiciness.
Supposedly done with their wild house yeast but I definitely didn't get much funk, perhaps it has faded a little. This would explain the saison note I got though...

View attachment 45023

Haand Byrggeriet Farewell Ale
Brewed to farewell or honour the dead and wish them well in the afterlife.

Dark and rich with a hint of spiciness. Dangerously drinkable for 7.5%.

I'd say I'd like people to drink this to toast me when I go but if I'm not around to enjoy it then you might as well all be drinking Hahn Super Dry...

View attachment 45025

Mountain Goat/Thornbridge Crossbreed Thorny Goat Black IPA

almost a melony hop hit in both the aroma and flavour
good supporting malt
Not a strong roastiness despite the colour, as is expected by the style I guess

View attachment 45052

Birra Moretti Lager

Appearance- Straw
Aroma- None
Flavor- None
Mouthfeel- like water, slightly carbed
706c8c52.jpg

Overall Impression- Shit

Haand Byrggeriet Hesjeol
Recreation of a harvest ale from old Norway apparently.

Kind of a rich sweet malt, but with a reasonable bitterness. Not any real crystal malt flavour, mostly a base malt character, without being lacking in flavour.

Something like a saison crossed with a scottish ale perhaps? Hard to categorise but very nice to drink...

Edit: Just read the notes and apparently it hase barley oats and rye. Oats explains the smoothness, but I didn't get much rye slickness or spiciness.
Supposedly done with their wild house yeast but I definitely didn't get much funk, perhaps it has faded a little. This would explain the saison note I got though...

View attachment 45023

I got heaps of smokiness in mine (and a HUGE layer of yeast.. maybe 1/2cm at the bottom of the bottle) It was nice enough, but I wouldn't buy a case of it.

Back