Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P4230239.jpg

Last night. Disappointing

P4230249.jpg

Last night, Fat Cat's Piss more like it... :(

P4230244.jpg

Every night! The best thing about living in Tassie. :)

P4240256.jpg

Tonight. Hefty Hop Hit. Better than the Fat cat's piss, but have had better IPA's.

HaandBrygeriet 'Norwegian Wood' I'm having trouble describing this. It smells woody, tastes lightly smoked, and kind of stewed fruity, which i'm assming is the Juniper berries (I've never tasted them before so it is a stab in the dark). Only 2 things I can fault with this beer. It's a little overcarbed, so it's mouthfeel is a little lighter than I like and the Missus really likes it. So I had to part with the other bottle. A very Bittersweet moment is was as I poured her a glass.

I had that beer a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Loving all of their beers actually.

It's the first of theirs i've had, and really enjoyed it. I've got a couple bottles of their Dobbel Dose in the cupboard. Looking forward to trying it.

Mildura Brewery Choc Hop Stout..........

Quite an interesting beer this one, very light body for a stout, nicely balanced and for once a stout that even my wife will drink......Went back and bought a case (8 bottles) today after trying one last night.

View attachment 45422

Just cracked a bottle now. I am getting alot of Cottee's Chocolate Syrup. Assuming lactose, vanilla essence and some cocoa.

When I first started brewing dark beers I was excited about adding chocolate/coffee/vanilla/dried fruit/cherry etc. Now I just want to brew my dark beers with malt..........

Mildura Brewery Choc Hop Stout..........

Quite an interesting beer this one, very light body for a stout, nicely balanced and for once a stout that even my wife will drink......Went back and bought a case (8 bottles) today after trying one last night.

View attachment 45422

i had a glass of this beer at beer deluxe last nite. my brother who was with me described it as drinking a vanilla ice cream with chocolate topping.

P4250259.jpg

Last of my selection from Crown Cellars on Saturday, the pick of the bunch, and cheapest! The Hopfix was OK, but a bit OTT for my tastes. This one should be called an IPA I think because of the dominant hop flavours, rather than just a Pale Ale. Wonder how much a dozen are...

Was over in Melbourne last week and happened to pop into Mrs Parma's.

What a great place.

I would recommend to anyone who likes APA's to try the Artic Fox APA they have on tap :icon_drool2:

IMO an absolutely sensational beer and while I tried many of their other beers over the course of the week I kept coming back to the APA. Quite a full flavoured beer that would also pass as an IPA. Very fruity with a citrus hit and a strong malt backbone. Definately my favourite beer atm.

Cheers

Brad

Floreffe Primas Melior: Yum. Lots of raisin, dark berries, very fizzy on the tongue but not particularly highly carbed. Quite complex, with a lot of sweetness (reminds me of being 17 and sipping my first southern comfort...but in a good way haha). Not as nice as a chimay blue, but lovely in its in own right. Lingering bitterness and alcohol warmth. Website says it has coriander and anise in it which lends it a slight sarsparilla edge I guess. http://www.brasserielefebvre.be/produits.p...ima&lang=en

It was drunk with chops from a home raised and home butchered two tooth with corn and spud - all cooked over the smoking ashes of an open fire. Magnificent.

The porter was nice, a crispness to it that I wouldn't expect such a strong ale to have. Unfortunately it was overshadowed by the floreffe (which is in the glass in the pic)...simply nowhere near the depth of flavour of the latter.

edit: spelling and to apologise for my attempt at beer flavour waffle...just going with my nose/taste and have probably used all the wrong words...

floreffe_and_porter_edit.JPG

Cracked a 2009 Coopers Vintage Strong Ale tonight. Very tasty and smooth as. Forgot to take a snap though!

edit: spelling and to apologise for my attempt at beer flavour waffle...just going with my nose/taste and have probably used all the wrong words...

You describe the flavours you taste. No more, no less. That's how it is, or at least should be.

P4270264.jpg

My fave beer ever anywhere - although I will continue with my quest to find a better one...
Oud Beersel Bersalis, a very tasty Belgian Tripel. Nice aroma and colour, great head, wonderful balance of hoppy bite, malty sweetness and a spicy / peppery aftertaste. If it wasn't $130 plus post for a carton, and %9.5 alc/vol I could drink it all the time... One of the main reasons I have decided to embark on home brewing - if I can make something anything like this for $60 per 23 liters I will be absolutely stoked.
I have a dozen of these I would like to cellar for a year or 3, but I have a best mate and a brother in law who I want to share a few with also. Might just have to bite the bullet and get another carton...

CascadeFirstharvest.jpg

Grabbed a 4 pack of these - Cascade first harvest, "Pure hop brew". "Brewed on one day only, using fresh green hops and the first barley of the season's harvest". Could be a pale ale, leaning towards an IPA?

On the second one as I type, not a bad drop at all. Nice colour, good head, and the clarity you would expect from a big brewery. Potent aroma, and an interesting taste. I'm ordinary at describing taste, but it sort of goes: fruity hops > sweet malt > bitter hops. The sweetness just sort of pokes it's nose in between 2 quite distinct hoppy tastes. I wonder how much for a carton...

Not one for cellaring as far as I can tell, use by date is 1st Jan 2012

Re. my post on the 24th and the Beer Here Fat Cat / cats' piss.

I posted my thoughts on Beer Here's facebook wall, and added that it might have been an "off" bottle, as it was cloudy and there was some (technical term warning) "crud" under the bottle cap, that I didn't notice until the next day. To my surprise, the beer maker / exporter replied the following day! He thinks I just got a bad bottle, and has sent me a voucher for 2 free bottles of my choice of their range from the place I bought it from. I'm very impressed with that for customer service, and I thought it opnly fair to post that info. in the same thread as I posted my criticism of his product.

Cheers.

CascadeFirstharvest.jpg

Grabbed a 4 pack of these - Cascade first harvest, "Pure hop brew". "Brewed on one day only, using fresh green hops and the first barley of the season's harvest". Could be a pale ale, leaning towards an IPA?

On the second one as I type, not a bad drop at all. Nice colour, good head, and the clarity you would expect from a big brewery. Potent aroma, and an interesting taste. I'm ordinary at describing taste, but it sort of goes: fruity hops > sweet malt > bitter hops. The sweetness just sort of pokes it's nose in between 2 quite distinct hoppy tastes. I wonder how much for a carton...

Not one for cellaring as far as I can tell, use by date is 1st Jan 2012
Each one is different but my experience with these in the past is that they are best drunk very fresh. I wouldn't let it get anywhere near Jan 2012 myself...

Tuatara Helles (NZ)

My bottle of this frothed like a biatch once it hit the glass. Excellent lacing down the glass with a straw like colour. Smooth and clean, not much else to report for a lager though.

DSCN4338.JPG

Had lunch in Newcastle today at The Dockyard..... overlooking Newcastle harbour. Big sign out the front saying 13 beers on tap drew me in.

Started with a Franziskaner on tap which was a very nice start (no pic) as we scoped the menu.

I looked over and saw a small fridge on the left of the bar and i just got up and went over for a look

DROOL............ :icon_drool2:

Full of Belgian, English, America and local awsome beers!

Tony rubs hands together and licks lips as hot blond barmaid walks over and hands me a beer list :)

Started with this:

Photo0226960x1280.jpg

10% ABV, AWSOME beer! malty sweet, hints of dark fruit, chocolate and spice...... very nice :)

After lunch and the big sweet beer, i felt like a palet clenser. I almost got a SNPA but being the APA Nazi..... i went with a White shield IPA.

Photo0231960x1280.jpg

Big hard water chewiness, just enough malt to hold the big bold bitterness and floral hops. A touch earthy in the finnish and DAMN did i enjoy it.

I could have sat there all day and drank one of each in the fridge to be honnest.

Going to post this picture twice - the joy of home brewing. This is my favourite 8% beer on the right and my clone of it on the left, pleased to say that I win ;) - slightly higher carb on mine but I can make 20 liters of it for the price of 2 stubbies of theirs...

DSCN0650.JPG

cheers

grant

ps. if you're in the NSW special case swap, you're getting the one on the left!

I like the look of the one on the left Grant. :)

Well, Christian for Beer Here semt me a voucher for 2 free bottles to replace my bad bottle of Fat Cat.
This is one of them:
BeerHere-Blackcat.jpg

Beer Here Black Cat. (Denmark)
Crown cellars $12-13 for 500ml.
I think it’s a porter.
Nice malty aroma.
Creamy, tan colour head.
Dark brown, not black.
Nice taste. Bitter chocolate and almost a burnt onion sort of caramel – in a good way.
4.7% alc. Maybe it’s a dark ale instead of a porter?
6/10

Latest posts

Back