Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little tatsing seesion with Trav, started with a Brewdog 5am saint, good beer that one. Then a Holgate Dubbel Trouble Abbey, also a nice beer lots of raisins like a sweet port. Next was La Fin Du Monde, as always an absolutle pleasure. Now we are on the Chambaly Noire, wow massive.

edit, also rocking out to pearl jam VS

Bit of time on my hands this arvo. Time for an Aussie Imperial Stout taste off!
Nov2_007.jpg
The lineup
Nov2_009.jpg
1st contender: Red Duck Ox
Nov2_010.jpg
2nd contender: Murrays Wild Thing 2010
Nov2_011.jpg
3rd contender: Murrays Wild Thing 2008...ish
Nov2_012.jpg
Taken 10 minutes after pouring the beers; if a picture paints 1000 words...

I'm really glad I did this lineup of beers. Not because i'm getting pissed on a Tuesday night; that's just the consequence of good research; but because the results are very conclusive and prove a point...as far as i'm concerned anyway.

The Ox, whilst a very nicely flavoured beer, really doesn't seem enough like an Imperial Stout IMO...and compared to the other two. Very sweet, not particularly roasty and somewhat fruity/estery, it seems like more of a Belgian Dark strong ale.

The '10 Wild Thing on the other hand has all you'd expect from an American-style IS...lots of roasted malt, lots of hops, lots of bitterness, lots of alcohol. Very aggressive and intense, and I would be ranting and raving about it like no one elses business, but...

...It has an older sister, and she's amazing!
Like a vintage port, this beer has just taken on the most amazing transformation, and in just a couple of years! All the rough edges are rounded off and your left with a ridiculously complex yet velvety smooth black beer that i've never come across a rival to. A testament to patience, and still has further aging potential!

Long(er) story short; good imperial stouts are great when young, but i'd really considering buying one, or more, for the cellar!

Woolshed Brewery Amazon Ale

I've enjoyed this a number of times especially at the Renmark Pub on tap. Most memorable occasion from me with this beer was when we pulled in to Renmark Wharf on AFL Grand Final Day (2nd attempt) 2010 on the houseboat, chucked on the ropes, and ran to the pub to catch the start of the game. The place was packed and the footy was on the big screen. We met a bloke in a kayak on a 7 day wilderness trek up river who we roped in to coming to the pub with us (coincidence is that he is a member of this forum too).

Sun was out a superb day. I asked Sledge behind the bar for a pint of Amazon - $5!

It was liquid gold that afternoon even better than weeks before. I got my mates a round, and all really enjoyed it. The stars must have aligned that day and made this beer extra special. I believe I treated myself to many more that afternoon. Anyway I'm rambling.

View attachment 41844

I poured into a schooner I didn't realise that I missed the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle until after but I got a bright beer from one that is normally cloudy from the keg.

View attachment 41845

Pours a golden colour with a nice white head. Fresh fruity aroma up front, with a sweet malty backbone.

Light mouthfeel, pleasing carbonation, sweet light malty flavour with citrusy hops.

Smooth bitterness to follow which makes for a refreshing beer. Its certainly a lot sweeter and smoother for me in the bottle different than from the tap. On tap it's a lot more cloudy.

View attachment 41846

Perfect for drinking in the sun, on a houseboat, and shouting your mates a round of.

I trust you but I've tried it twice and :icon_vomit:

Archipelago Explorer

Not expecting much from this Singaporean craft beer, I cracked a bottle moments ago. A decent head, but quickly tapers off to a small white ring on the surface. A bland, lager nose, or perhaps reminiscent of a boring wheat. For all I know its a wheat lager? Golden in colour, but murky. Was intrigued as to how they propose to deliver the infusion of asian spice - Indian Coriander, Chinese Ba Jiao and a touch of lemon zest. Apart from a subtle citrus hint, more orange than lemon, and the vague coriander (placebo maybe), its not what I would consider a memorable spiced/specialty beer. The star anise is undetectable to my tatebuds. By the end of the glass there is an unusual stale, dusty pepper taste remaining in the mouth, maybe that's the anise or coriander seed. This may be due to the BBE Sep 2010, so its been brewed a while ago. Overall it's rather unpleasant. Not buying this one again.

Archipelago.gif

Just reversing the damage done with a smooth Holgate Temptress porter. Now this is more like it !

Archipelago Explorer

Not expecting much from this Singaporean craft beer, I cracked a bottle moments ago. A decent head, but quickly tapers off to a small white ring on the surface. A bland, lager nose, or perhaps reminiscent of a boring wheat. For all I know its a wheat lager? Golden in colour, but murky. Was intrigued as to how they propose to deliver the infusion of asian spice - Indian Coriander, Chinese Ba Jiao and a touch of lemon zest. Apart from a subtle citrus hint, more orange than lemon, and the vague coriander (placebo maybe), its not what I would consider a memorable spiced/specialty beer. The star anise is undetectable to my tatebuds. By the end of the glass there is an unusual stale, dusty pepper taste remaining in the mouth, maybe that's the anise or coriander seed. This may be due to the BBE Sep 2010, so its been brewed a while ago. Overall it's rather unpleasant. Not buying this one again.

Take a trip to Singapore and suck back any of ther beers at the queen&mangosteen and im sure you will be impressed. Their Samui Wheat is my inspration for my Jungle Witbier. :icon_cheers:

currently drinking a woodstock draught.same mob that makes the crappy bourbon cans.now stop laughing cos its actually a reasonable beer, not a lot of flavour and no bitterness or hop flavour to speak of but no flaws either to speak of. side by side with a corona i reckon you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

good point on the skunking. it depends on the corona that one if you get a fresh one it doesnt seem to be a big problem and i personally dont get acetalyhyde from corona,for gob fulls of that try a cricketers arms lager :icon_vomit:

Dieu du ciel Rose dHibiscus (pics to follow)
What an interesting beer. Lively red colour with nice formed soft head. Fruit/floral aromas with a hint of wheat. Reminds me of hallertau in a fruit beer like a strawberry wheat. Head dissipates too quickly and gets a point taken off it for that.

Lovely fruit acidity but round and full with some residual sweetness. Kind of like drinking a really great kriek with body. Very hard to describe this beer. But a wonderful beer. ESP on this warm melb day. You could easily knock these back on a warm day on a lovely beer garden, maybe a plate of cold spanner crab or Cured trout etc.

Bloody canadians can brew alright.

Dieu du ciel Rose dHibiscus (pics to follow)
What an interesting beer. Lively red colour with nice formed soft head. Fruit/floral aromas with a hint of wheat. Reminds me of hallertau in a fruit beer like a strawberry wheat. Head dissipates too quickly and gets a point taken off it for that.

Lovely fruit acidity but round and full with some residual sweetness. Kind of like drinking a really great kriek with body. Very hard to describe this beer. But a wonderful beer. ESP on this warm melb day. You could easily knock these back on a warm day on a lovely beer garden, maybe a plate of cold spanner crab or Cured trout etc.

Bloody canadians can brew alright.
piccies
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0446.jpg

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA... found one of these in the local

IMG_0468.jpg

gotta get a decent camera.. the iphone camera is horrible

Appearance: Slight haze, not brilliantly clear/golden orange. Good thick meringue head stand. Great head retention and lacing down the glass.

Aroma: not as strong as expected. A little underwhelmed in comparison to other AIPAs i've had. Some pine and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: medium to full body with a slight carbonic bite.

Taste: Again not as bitter as expected. But reasonable. Well rounded and balanced. Quite sessionable for an AIPA.

Overall: pretty good example of an AIPA. Good fruity hoppiness and decent malt presence. This IPA is all about the balance I think. Will come back for more.

I know its been done here before but i put this one away a year ago..... and what a difference a year makes to a beer like this.

Its now much smoother, rounded, deeper malt complexity with that classic yeast character comming as an after taste.

I wish i had of put a carton away now :( Im in love!

La_Fin_Du_Monde__1248_x_832_.jpg

a Trusty Friend
web.jpg

have not had it yet ( and never had one before ) just wanted to show it off though
web.jpg

got to love 1L cans :chug:
web.jpg

a Trusty Friend
web.jpg

have not had it yet ( and never had one before ) just wanted to show it off though
web.jpg

got to love 1L cans :chug:
web.jpg
get that bundy lime out of the shot :p

On a more serious note, got some beer from the international beer shop, so far only tried some saison dupont and a sunner kolsch, I like the saison better but I could have a nice session on the kolsch on a hot day.

Kaimai Porter's Rye Ale

photo.JPG

A: slightly hazy amber to brown. Appealing ruby highlights in the light. Tight small carbonation leaves a nice creamy half cm head that stays to the bottom of the glass.
S: English character. Subtle English or nobel hops and slight toffee note. Some fruitiness.
T: toffee and roasty grain character. Some spice, coffee with tartness on the finish of the palate. Low restrained bitterness And hip character.No alcohol presence balanced and rounded out nicely.
M: Medium body than finishes dry.
O: rather sessionable and unusually refreshing for an amber/brown porter.

Really enjoying the double hightail from Mountain Goat, reminds me of the Hercules IIPA from Great Divide. Love the resiny bite and malty undertones. After a week on antibiotics it's going straight to my head! Loverly!

DSCN0439.JPG

I know its been done here before but i put this one away a year ago..... and what a difference a year makes to a beer like this.

Its now much smoother, rounded, deeper malt complexity with that classic yeast character comming as an after taste.

I wish i had of put a carton away now :( Im in love!
Tony I am pretty sure that Warners still stock these. I have 2 bottles left :p

I tried my first Leffe Blonde last night, god dam that is a good beer.
Bought a single as they had no 4 packs & it was $7, totaly worth it !
At 6.6% it would put you on your ass pretty quickly too.

philw - I had a Paulaner Oct Fest 1L for NRL grand final day, was bloody nice ! (got another in the cupboard for xmas)

Sorry I haven't learnt how to describe tastes in proper terms yet as you can see (it was nice hahaha)

Latest posts

Back