Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some samples I picked up today from First Choice and Dan Murphy's

Cant wait for beer tasting day
1845 is one of my fav's. Hope you got a good bottle as when you do its divine. Wish I could make this beer.

cheers
Andrew.

Tonight I had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2010 and then De Struisse-Mikkeller Elliot Brew. The Bigfoot is a big, hoppy American Barleywine which is more hop forward and less malty than some other American Barleywines. The resinous hops and mild, chocolatey malt are great. The Elliot Brew was really cool. Half way between a DIPA and a Barleywine there is lots of forward citrus hop character and an interesting toffee malt character that is sweet on the palate but which finished nice and dry.

I reached into the beer vault for a lucky dip for fathers day, and treated myself to something nice while spending some time out the backyard with the kids.

What a beer hey. Ive had it before but beers like this are always enjoyable time and time again!

Maudite1248x832.jpg

Good stuff that Tony.

Cracked another Flying Dog.
fdog.jpg
Good solid Tripel, not as good as the Gonzo though!

Edit: f's g's whats the difference anyway?

I dont mean to be rude, but I am pretty sure, (but too lazy to chekc) but I think this beer uses honey essence, ie no real honey, and when I had the misfortune of tasting it due to it was the most revolting non-noey flavour I have ever tasted in a honey beer, more tasting or rotten grain than anything else and smelt like it too

I note ratebeer gives it a wide berth too

I was thinking that there was something not right about the wierd honey after taste....essence.....why would you bother.

I was thinking that there was something not right about the wierd honey after taste....essence.....why would you bother.

Yes, I read that it was honey essence too (after i'd drunk it) ... but I stand by my tasting, maybe I was lucky, maybe i've got a freak's palate, but I preferred it to all honey beers i've tried in the past by a long way.

As did the missus, who has a sharper palate than I.

It would be interesting to see what the 'honey flavouring' is.

Yes, I read that it was honey essence too (after i'd drunk it) ... but I stand by my tasting, maybe I was lucky, maybe i've got a freak's palate, but I preferred it to all honey beers i've tried in the past by a long way.

As did the missus, who has a sharper palate than I.

It would be interesting to see what the 'honey flavouring' is.

This is what makes brewing and tasting so great, you can love a beer I hate......it's all good.

Today's haul:

septhaul.jpg

Liefmans Goudenband, 3 Ravens Rye Roggen, Brew Boys seeing Double, Second Tier Cuvee 2, some unpronounceable barley wine from Nogne O, Nogne O #500, Nogne O #100, Baird Beer Temple Garden Yuzu Ale, 2 Metres Tall Huon Brown Ale, Renaissance American Pale Ale, Renaissance Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

Here a selection of beers a brought home from a trip to the states early this year.
We visited the Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico,the beer and food was awesome.
Unfortunately I drank them all.My favorite was the summerfest but all were tasty.

Cheers Aspro.IMG_0483.JPG

DSCN1243.JPG

3 Ravens Rye - So this in my first Roggenbier. Do they all taste infected or is this as shit as I think it is? Shame, I do like this brewery.

Mikkeller 1000 IBU

I was expecting to be smacked in the face by the bitterness but was surprised at how well balanced this beer is. It is very bitter as you'd expect but no more than most imperial or double IPAs. I found it pretty difficult to taste much under the bitterness so I don't have much to say as far as tasting notes, although there was a hint of caramel flavours from the malt. Definitely worth trying though and I'd drink it again if it wasn't so expensive.

1000IBU.jpg

DSCN1244.JPG

Nogne O #500 - all I know about this beer is that it is their 500th batch and the label says 5 malts, 100 IBU, 5 hops and 10% (they're numerologists of some description I guess) and I think I remember hearing it was dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin? This looks a lot like a deep ruby barleywine. It smells like a sticky-sweet barley wine with a touch of citrus zest (more orange than grapefruit but not quite - tangelo or something?). It tastes...resinous. Very and resinous and very highly bittered - it feels a bit like my tongue is covered in little cuts. Don't get me wrong - the beer is very nice, it is just very assertive (and I don't know if anyone has noticed but I do like to think I like more aggressive beers than some). This is pretty much a hugely bittered barleywine - not sure what the IPA business is all about. The 10% is very prominent too which I find slightly odd considering how much there is going on around in this beer to balance it.

Today's haul:

View attachment 40908

Liefmans Goudenband, 3 Ravens Rye Roggen, Brew Boys seeing Double, Second Tier Cuvee 2, some unpronounceable barley wine from Nogne O, Nogne O #500, Nogne O #100, Baird Beer Temple Garden Yuzu Ale, 2 Metres Tall Huon Brown Ale, Renaissance American Pale Ale, Renaissance Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

Bum what did you think of the brew boys seeing double?

Only had the two mentioned above thus far. I'll let you know once I crack it.

Also - "Second Tier" - wtf is that guy smoking?

Just received the following as a trade with a guy in Denmark

Cantillon Blbr Lambik
Cantillon 50N-4E
Chimay Dore
Mikkeller Special Series Cherry Alive
Beer Here Dark Hops
Berliner Kindl Weisse
Beer Here Kriekselikroxen
Bgedal Nr. 0100
Xbeeriment Den Sure Trkanon
lfabrikken Porter
De Molen Pek & Veren (Tar & Feathers)
Hoppin Frog Bodacious Black & Tan
Amager Hr. Frederiksen

DSCN1243.JPG

3 Ravens Rye - So this in my first Roggenbier. Do they all taste infected or is this as shit as I think it is? Shame, I do like this brewery.

It should be like a dunkelweisen made with a %age of rye, making it spicy and a bit oily thick. Infected is wrong!

Mikkeller 1000 IBU

I was expecting to be smacked in the face by the bitterness but was surprised at how well balanced this beer is. It is very bitter as you'd expect but no more than most imperial or double IPAs. I found it pretty difficult to taste much under the bitterness so I don't have much to say as far as tasting notes, although there was a hint of caramel flavours from the malt. Definitely worth trying though and I'd drink it again if it wasn't so expensive.

I think only aroun 90 IBU of bitterness can be disolved into solution in a beer. You coukd add 3 tonnes of hops to a 23 liter batch for a technical 1 million IBU beer and its still going to be about 90!
After making a few big IBU beers with massive amounts of hops, i think there is a limit to the hop flavour and aroma compounds that can be disolved into solution too and the amounts will depend on the brewery and techniques used.

A bit like salt in water..... there is a point of saturation for everything!

It should be like a dunkelweisen made with a %age of rye, making it spicy and a bit oily thick. Infected is wrong!
I was getting a nice peppery spiciness in the fade which I was too annoyed to point out at the time so I'm guessing that is ticking a roggen box but up front all I got was a flavour I've never come across sitting somewhere between soap and glue. A really disappointing experience for mine.

I think only aroun 90 IBU of bitterness can be disolved into solution in a beer. You coukd add 3 tonnes of hops to a 23 liter batch for a technical 1 million IBU beer and its still going to be about 90!
After making a few big IBU beers with massive amounts of hops, i think there is a limit to the hop flavour and aroma compounds that can be disolved into solution too and the amounts will depend on the brewery and techniques used.

A bit like salt in water..... there is a point of saturation for everything!
I was gonna say...

The number of times MHB gets up me about there's a limit of theoretical IBU's my beers have...

Back