Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its exactly the case... sometimes!

Sometimes, it tastes like Tooheys, sometimes it is as fantastic as it used to be...

Depends how much Amarillo is in the country I guess..

I went down to my local last night and had a pint of James Squire Golden Ale with a mate. Now I am not sure if its because I have been drinking Brew Dog IPA and my 3 week old Golden Ale Clone, but the beer out of the tap was watery bland and had very little aroma and flavour. Has anyone else found this the case?

I actually had a similar experience last night (same beer, same reaction); got to admit that I'm finding it very difficult these days to find decent commercial beer on tap.

its exactly the case... sometimes!

Sometimes, it tastes like Tooheys, sometimes it is as fantastic as it used to be...

I said the exact thing to my mate! Even thought that they plumbed up a draught keg to the wrong tap!

While I am posting.....

BrewDog Punk IPA

Great aroma and hop flavour! I don't really have a mature palete but it seemed to have a really good malty taste which balanced out the big hop flavour. I really enjoyed it. I just wish it was't so expensive!!!!

tonight im in tassie on holidys and have had a few. for those in tassie looking for lc brown ale there is a few left on elizebeth pier bar. i had a iron house wheat and it was sour a wonderfull cantillon sour but not what i expected ,it was a bad beer that turned out good. also had a moo brewdark that was really good and a 2010 moobrew stout that was awesome, and a big suprise was the wood and stone draught that was really good. the moobrew pale ale i had was a big let down cause the bottles ive had in melbourne were great but in hobart it was thick as mud and the yeast bite spoiled the whole thing.on a whole the lark distilery and the new sydney are worth a visit but ive really felt ive been let down when the bottled beer in melbourne is better then the local tap versions.

I found when i was in tassie the same thing with moobrew pale ale. It was quite good out of the bottle, but not so good on tap.

I'd be interested to try it on tap then to see if I think the opposite because I've had nothing but gushing bottles from this brewery. Won't buy their beer any more.

Cracked open a bottle of 1998 Coopers Vintage Ale last night.

I'd go through the tasting notes but what i wrote down was pretty much the BJCP guide for an old ale. Think malty sweet, caramel, dried fruits, port/sherry. Very VERY nice beer to sip in front of the fire, ugg boots, moccasins or slippers optional. :D

CVA98.JPG

5 bottles left of the 1998, 8 bottles of the 1999 and am yet to open the case of 2000. Should keep me going for a few more years.....

Mountain Goat Steam Ale.

Meh.

Like that Wahoo nonsense in a different bottle.

Kev

Currently drinking Brewdog Abstrakt AB:02, an 18% Imperial Red Ale. It starts off with big resinous hops without a lot of fresh hop character. This is teemed up with lashings of alcohol, dark toffee, coffee and a hint of smoke. It's a really interesting beer even if it is a little harsh and was well worth trying.

last night I had:

Unibroue something. No idea... Nice Belgian style though
Brewdog/Stone Bashah - as per Bum's description...
Murrays Anniversay Ale 3.... all I can say is :icon_drool2:

after drinking all 3 I was a little :icon_drunk: but not quite :icon_vomit:

DSCN1225.JPG

Mikkeller Big Worst - Was a little scared to be opening this one to be honest. So expensive and I'm unsure if it is even ready yet. The aroma is all orangy zest, sweet malt, a not-quite wineiness (akin to Lindemann's Peche aroma but without the fruit or light funk if that makes any sense at all) and a slightly odd alc. How does it taste? BUGGER! Pretty sure this needs some more time under its belt to develop more fully. It is pulling in different directions at the moment. Tiny, tiny sips (i.e. just wetting the tip of your tongue and letting that spread) reveal lovely citrus (tangerine?) and resiny hopping but more normal tastings give very hot (but smooth) alc. Very big maltiness, as you'd expect I suppose, but it seems even more chewy and sugary here than in other barleywines I've had. Huge though the maltiness is it never noticably mutes the terrific bitterness. Ridiculously long finish on this beer. I really wish I'd bought 2 to see what this beer becones - but at that price that was never going to happen.

Sunshine Coasts Rye ESB.
scb_esb.jpg

Beautiful deep red/brown, a touch too much crystal sweetness for my palate, but still a good solid beer.

A day off to fix things around the house.
So after breaking more things than I fixed, it was time to sit back and regroup.
meanpa.jpg
Mmmmmmeantime :) . Sunny, warm. 20 C, clocking off now.

DSCN1225.JPG

Mikkeller Big Worst - Was a little scared to be opening this one to be honest. So expensive and I'm unsure if it is even ready yet. The aroma is all orangy zest, sweet malt, a not-quite wineiness (akin to Lindemann's Peche aroma but without the fruit or light funk if that makes any sense at all) and a slightly odd alc. How does it taste? BUGGER! Pretty sure this needs some more time under its belt to develop more fully. It is pulling in different directions at the moment. Tiny, tiny sips (i.e. just wetting the tip of your tongue and letting that spread) reveal lovely citrus (tangerine?) and resiny hopping but more normal tastings give very hot (but smooth) alc. Very big maltiness, as you'd expect I suppose, but it seems even more chewy and sugary here than in other barleywines I've had. Huge though the maltiness is it never noticably mutes the terrific bitterness. Ridiculously long finish on this beer. I really wish I'd bought 2 to see what this beer becones - but at that price that was never going to happen.

I cant make out the price - Dare I ask?

25 clams.

In retrospect it was worth it but not a beer I'll be chasing down again.

Something like that. If the Big Bad Worse is still in stock next time I go I'll try that for sure.

Latest posts

Back