Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad luck that so many are empty

:p Only a couple, I couldnt wait!!

I basically just asked everyone I know for beer for my bday this year and this is what I was fortunate enough to get :)

So far ive had the Dogfish head 90 min, Stone IPA, Fat Tyre, The Green Flash beers, the SNPA, and the Yeastie Boys, and out of all of them I was quite partial to the SNPA, damn tasty :icon_drool2:

Wouldnt have happened without thebeerstore.co.nz - cheers guys!

I just had a bottle of the Sunshine Coast Brewery Chilli beer, it's the first commercial chilli beer that I thought had any real kick to it. It's balanced fairly well by a good portion of crystal malt but there's no mistaking the chilli when you breathe out. I only had a very short visit to the brewery but the selection on tap looked great.

Thats good to hear! Ive actually got a bottle of that chilli beer in the fridge, my dad got it for me last time he was over there but ive been weary to try it lol - I did try their summer ale and bitter and they were awesome! I also love how they list the IBU and what hops they use on the labels!

Matso's Mango beer
For a belgian blonde with mango I was expecting something, well yellower I guess.
Very pale. Crystal clear.
Strong aroma of mango but it didn't come through as strong in the taste.
Not what I was really expecting but a decent fruit beer all the same.
matsomango.jpg

Timmerman's Kriek (cherry lambic)
IMG_0158.jpgIMG_0159.jpg
Aroma and flavours of cherry candi, almond marzipan nd a hint of ginger. dry sweet finish. very similar to a cider in head, body and carb levels. thing sparse head. very very fine champaigne like bubbles/head. The finishingt sweetness seemed artifical but not cloying. very low level of sourness for a lambic. It needs to be more sour and less artifically sweet to be balanced. I put the almond characteristic down to fermenting with cherry pits. not unpleasant. good clarity (you can see the TV thru the glass, albeit a very red TV distorted by the weird glass)

had a look at the bottle post drinking. :angry: main ingreident is from fruit juice! plus it has artifical sweetners and flavours. not happy. It seems i bought a bottle of megaswill kriek!

Look it's not all that bad, just not a great kriek. too much like a cherry cider. drop the articifical sweetness and it would have been great. oh well...going by bjcp Im giving it a 27.

Yeah...didn't think much of it...................
Ferg

Me neither, was fairly bland i thought. not nearly as creamy and tasty as og guinness and seemed overcarbed. seemed to almost fizz in your mouth like a soft drink (for lack of any other way of describing it). the one i had was out of a bottle, not sure if it comes in any other form tho...

mike

Mikkeller_Black_Hole.jpg
Had to happen eventually. The tempation was too much.
So I cracked open a bottle of Mikkeller Black Hole to commemorate my 500th RateBeer rating..
All I have to say is :icon_drool2:

I hope the other 499 were a little more detailed...

I hope the other 499 were a little more detailed...
Hahaha!
Got a bit carried away didn't I. Might have been spurred on by the 13 or so percent alcohol in the beer...

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA

:icon_drool2:

Such a fresh complex hop flavour and a subtle honey malt character, soft dry lingering finish, yum!!

Won't someone ban this guy already?

It's been 3 years since I last tried this beer, for some reason I had to grab this and give it another go!

reptile_park_261.jpg

leffe_bruin_1.jpg
The first "brown" Belgian that I'd tried and it was very nice. Not overly dark but enough taste to keep going back. I quite enjoyed this one.

stone_n_wood_1.jpg
Brewed with heated stones in the kettle and you can taste it. Not a bad brew but nothing that really stands out.

judas_1.jpg
I was hoping a bit more from this one but not bad at the same time. Certainly doesn't taste like an 8.5% beer, would be very deadly by the pint!

It's been 3 years since I last tried this beer, for some reason I had to grab this and give it another go!

Are you crazy?!?!

Don't wait for those poor Dragons to win a comp before you drink another one!! :lol:

They're yummy, I agree.

Are you crazy?!?!

Don't wait for those poor Dragons to win a comp before you drink another one!! :lol:

They're yummy, I agree.

Saints will win next year :icon_offtopic:

I am hooked on pale ale at this point in time

Acme California IPA - Wow, what a sh*t beer, way to fizzy, minimal hop aroma, thin watery mouthfeel, harsh bitterness, hmmm, I had half the glass trying to let it redeem itself but sadly, it got tipped down the sink, which is something i very very VERY rarely do, especially when ive paid $5 for it!!

Also - mods, why hasnt this thread been airlocked yet? Surely it warrents it? Can someone plz do it :icon_cheers:

Rogue Hazelnut brown - I needed something special tonight and was hoping this wouldnt disappoint....... It didnt ^_^

At first I was weary of this beer as i dont normally like the sweeter beers as much, and I dont know why, but I expected this to be sweeter from what ive read about it, but its not, its absolutely awesome! Like chewing on a chocolate covered roasted hazelnut, theres the perfect amount of roast to stop it being sweet or cloying, a nice full mouthfeel and I keep getting a burst of nutelle chocolate with every sip! Yum!!

Buy this beer, try it now, its good! lol

edit : Thread still not airlocked? :ph34r:

DSCF1045x.jpg

Bought two of these a month or so back. Been waiting for the right moment to crack it. Just ran out of gas for my kegerator for some reason :( What better time to open up this baby.

Couldn't drink something this good without something to eat, so quickly threw this pizza together (rocket toppa - my favourite!)

DSCF1047x.jpg

Heavy brett pie cherry nose. Strong malt flavour with warming alcohol - lingers of with some complex caramel. Sorry not that great at describing beers, but definately worth the price tag ($55 for 2). An amazing beer is an understatement!

Cheers
Phil

Rogue Dead Guy Ale (in free Unibroue glass)

Dead_Guy.JPG

Was it the name? I have to admit I was expecting something more on first taste. Once I got my head around a different idea it turnes out it is quite a nice beer.

Last night (no pics) I had Moo Brew Pale Ale (gusher, gutted), Flying Dog Classic Pale Ale (ok I guess but I'm pretty sure I'm not far from brewing better myself), Red Duck Bengal IPA (JS IPA is probably a better beer which is saying something) and Holgate Nut Brown Ale (DO NOT WANT).

Rogue Dead Guy Ale (in free Unibroue glass)

View attachment 33089

Was it the name? I have to admit I was expecting something more on first taste.

I was expecting an in your face **** you up hop bomb...it was in fact a rather nice american take on a maibock...quite nice indeed.

Cheers
Phil

Back