Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it there! The Aussie Ale is the best use of Ella I've tasted. Am trying to clone it as a regular quaffed [emoji1] their brew tours are awesome too, no small shot glass tasters, full glasses of each beer, was half cut by the end of the tour and hadn't even read the food menu yet. Food was on point also!

A new brewery up in the high country. No take aways till the 24th unfortunately. The IPA was nice and the soured porter was ok too, for a sour.

1492240195475.jpg

IM having a Big Eye tonight, first in a year or more..

bitterness is still punchy as ****, but I dont get the big floral hit I remember.. might be just me and my assalted taste buds having been drowned in RIS for a year or more...

still a solid beer but I think there are better in this space, to be fair, I was stuck and got what I could from uncle dans and I dont regret the buy, but I rekon heading to APOD and getting Kaiju, Epic, knee deep, Rogue or stone is far more enjoyable

Still a bloody solid beer though.. no regret, in fact I think I'll have a third can to make sure

^Stone Go to IPA is my favorite beer right now, a 4.8% session IPA with amazing aroma and flavor for a hop heavy beer from o/seas, give it a whirl. Their IPA in the green can is kick-arse too, so close to the edge of no return for me, ie too much hops...but it hangs in there with the 6.9% abv.

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
My first Stone beer, oh how I wish I could get aroma like this in my brews!
attachicon.gif
IMG_1419.JPG
That's so interesting, I had the same beer in the same glass on Thursday night and couldn't have been more underwhelmed!

Perhaps my can was treated worse than yours? Although in general I've found most Stone beers I've tried to be over rated.

Soon as I popped the can I got a whiff of hops, poured it and the aroma was awesome. Bitterness was a bit harsh but overall for a beer that's travelled all the way from the US to Coffs Harbour and then treated who knows how by Dan Murphys staff, I was pretty impressed.

did a 4 pack of the rogue yellow snow ipa over the weekend

super tasty and a cool can

In Melbourne for some time off. Checked the nearest brewery to the zoo and ended up at Stomping Ground. Had their Bearbrass nitro milk stout first. Pretty good, refreshingly served at 9°C. Next up is the Convent 6 Belgian Dubbbel. The 6.8% is on par for the taste, aromatically it certainly delivers on the dried-fruit-toffee blurb. Has all the calling cards of a Belgian but falls away after a few sips, likely the use of US and NZ hops. Still a refreshing change from pub lagers.
1492661798837.jpg

Paddington Barley wine by Murray's. Solid barleywine aroma. It's full to sip, brazenly alcoholic and every bit of 10%. Aged in whiskey barrels apparently and I reckon the whiskey goes a bit too far. Good value at $7.90 in the city though.
1492671858285.jpg

Sampled some of the locals brews.

Last Rites Brewery.

Their Tasmanian IPA. Pineapple and coconut definitely. Can says only barley, hops, yeast and water. How do they create those flavours? Very interesting. Recommend everyone try it but not something I'd drink a lot of.

Their Black IPA. Winner! Love the roastiness and the hopiness and it's just really balanced. Will be buying more of this! A style I would like to brew myself.

Founders KBS. This is what a strong stout is meant to be. One of the best beers I've ever tried.IMG_5227.JPG

Edit: yes it is so good that it defies gravity and can be poured sideways.

Opened a bottle of Fantome Printemps, their spring saison. Little to no pop when opened and now I understand what people mean when they say wet cardboard! Was worried I was afflicted by the Fantome curse! Thankfully that was not the case, once poured into a glass it had a moderate carb and the wet cardboard aroma dissipated very quickly and gave way to wonderful fruit, spice and slight barnyard which became more apparent as it warmed in the glass. Wonderful beer.

tonight..

Aldaris Porter
Little Brewing Company, Stab in the Dark
Oscar Blues - Ten Fidy
16 KBS

need for a Cigar = Great
Ability to locate said Cigar = Appallingly sad
Joy factor regardless = totally tits

First Bad Shepherd brew and I'm not disappointed!

Hazelnut Brown
1492932020084.jpg

Decent Brown Ale underneath this all, but the hazelnuts absolutely shine. Very approachable... Very frangelico.

A few beer from a weekend on the Gold Coast

med_gallery_7015_1311_4111.jpg

Brewery fresh. Black Hops Pink Mist raspberry saison. Picked up my sack of grain prize from the Gold Coast comp so had a tasting paddle and got my mini keg filled. Turns out its about a 5 minute walk from our apartment.

Also very accommodating with growler fills. I asked the guy if he would fill my mini keg as I know some places won't fill stainless growlers. His response - We'll fill anything.

med_gallery_7015_1311_31521.jpg

Green Beacon Wayfarer. Don't mind if I do. Picked up a 4-pack from Beer & Wine at Pacific Fair as a back-up. Fantastic selection of awesome beers there. Didn't go crazy as I was saving my budget for Black Hops.

med_gallery_7015_1311_11069.jpg

Brouhaha Strawberry & Rhubarb Berliner Weiss at 4 Hearts' Pumpyard Brewery in Ipswich. Not on the coast but always a good stop for lunch on the way home.

Free beer! Or one stubbie at least. I go in to Hop Heads to collect my free stubbie and spend $60 on other beers Cunning plan.

1493277139246.jpg

Latest posts

Back