Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of the tropical. I brewed a lower alcohol version of it recently. I should have done a comparison to the original but my version seemed reasonably close in flavour from memory.

Two crackers in a row from SN, great stuff.

Screenshot_20170507-150850.png

Meddo said:
No pic but the Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo, lovely fruity-type IPA. I haven't sampled a huge range of SN beers aside from the standard pale / IPA / harvest hop ones but this is certainly my pick of the ones I've had.
whereas I had one last night and thought it was a bit average
fruity-ness was good, but needed a bit more bitterness (imo)

For a mid strength it has a load of body and is super clean. Much nicer than a xxxx gold. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1494145966.778409.jpg

SBOB said:
whereas I had one last night and thought it was a bit average
fruity-ness was good, but needed a bit more bitterness (imo)
Fair call, definitely on the lighter side of bitterness for an IPA, reckon it matches the fresh fruity hoppiness well to my taste though.

1494757771224.jpg

Rutherglen Brewery pilsner. Some friends tried their beer a while ago and weren't impressed, but did say the pilsner was nice. I was a bit dumbfounded, normally for small/new breweries lagers are best left alone. Well this was in the menu tonight so I gave it a go. I inspected the bottle and noted sediment - a bad sign, I've never had a win with a bottle fermented lager because I don't have the patience to do it right. Nor have I had a 'right' bottle fermented lager First whiff unfortunately told the whole story, barely any hint of it being a Pils and riddled with signs of a poor ferment and improper bottle conditioning. Where is the Saaz? I battled through it. Not as bad as a the absolutely abhorrent Buffalo Brewery lager I had a while ago but had similar off flavours. Very poor example of a pilsner (or beer for that matter) making me regret not getting a Peroni. I'd love to support a local business - especially breweries - but this should be taken off the shelf until they get their technique right. I'll give the pales a go another time.

"Stop buying beer" i said to myself. " you've got unfermented beer and a shit load of ingredients" i says.

Some Stone wheat IIPA collaboration thing. I could do better phfff.

Yeah probaly not.

Edit: a hop combo to try in the future

1495011154155.jpg

I grew an unexpectedly large amount of Cascade Hops this season so I gave a heap to the local Brew Pub. They came out with this, a nice, Hoppy Pale Ale
ORB ALE.JPG
Oodles of Hop aroma, with Hop bitterness up front that subsides into a well balanced easy drinking Pale.
Cheers,

spryzie said:
Boags beats Cascade hands down.

And I'm a Hobartian...
Well I suppose I'm north definitely west

Cascade use to be 5.2% 375mm stubbies

Was a good drop then till the marketing stuffed it with smaller vol less alch

Don't even see it on the shelves anymore that will teach them

spryzie said:
Boags beats Cascade hands down.
And I'm a Hobartian...
Bad joke based on 2 beers that taste similar and the dumb rivalry of the past.

Yob is also an ex-southerner and I have always preferred boags to cascade and many other beers to either.

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
1494757771224.jpg
Rutherglen Brewery pilsner. Some friends tried their beer a while ago and weren't impressed, but did say the pilsner was nice. I was a bit dumbfounded, normally for small/new breweries lagers are best left alone. Well this was in the menu tonight so I gave it a go. I inspected the bottle and noted sediment - a bad sign, I've never had a win with a bottle fermented lager because I don't have the patience to do it right. Nor have I had a 'right' bottle fermented lager First whiff unfortunately told the whole story, barely any hint of it being a Pils and riddled with signs of a poor ferment and improper bottle conditioning. Where is the Saaz? I battled through it. Not as bad as a the absolutely abhorrent Buffalo Brewery lager I had a while ago but had similar off flavours. Very poor example of a pilsner (or beer for that matter) making me regret not getting a Peroni. I'd love to support a local business - especially breweries - but this should be taken off the shelf until they get their technique right. I'll give the pales a go another time.
That's a shame, get down to the Rutherglen bakery though - they sell just about the best pies on the planet. Rutherglen Muscat is also Very nice. Great shame about the beer, letting the town down on that one by the sound of it..

Theres a brewery in that area that does a roaring trade in the holiday periods thats has some ok/average regular beers. I have had some truly god awful beers in that place. I had a Belgian Blonde at Easter time i could not finish. I prefer the flavour of cheese mould on a Camembere.

Yep it's a wine growing region - not noted for it's beer unfortunately. Having said that, not too far away in the banjo playing mountains where I spent some of my youth, the climate is perfect for hops.

La Sirene Saison Mosaic. Holy fuckballs Batman is all I can say. What a hop (erm... I mean beer)!!!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495100019.057988.jpg

Geez you lot talking to me like I wasn't born and grew up here...
Parker Pies is probably the bakery in question from Rutherglen. STRONGLY recommend buying a pastry if anyone's on the way through. The emu is my favourite, with jumbuck a close second. The fortifieds in the region are world class - if you want a 100 year old port or muscat there are a few places about which will happily take 4 figures off you for a bottle. The reds have a very 'regional' flavour and while being a red drinker, they're good but other areas do it better. The muscats though... oh man the muscats. Some unreal ports too.
There are a few nearby breweries most notably Bright, Black Dog and Bridge Road (Beechworth) and less notably Rutherglen and Buffalo. Rutherglen Brewery started about 2 years ago and I've only had the pilsner. It was started by a restaurant owner in Rutherglen who I posted about a while back with doubts about their approach. Unfortunately I called it, hopefully they'll find their feet but I remain sceptical. Buffalo Brewery is oddly placed in a town with very little about, and was quite frankly an unforgettable experience. If you are a beer appreciator do not drink their beer.

Benn said:
I grew an unexpectedly large amount of Cascade Hops this season so I gave a heap to the local Brew Pub. They came out with this, a nice, Hoppy Pale Ale
attachicon.gif
ORB ALE.JPG
Oodles of Hop aroma, with Hop bitterness up front that subsides into a well balanced easy drinking Pale.
Cheers,
Well done mate. Those guys are on a good track. Bit concerned about their 2/3 serving space/brewery ratio, but here's to hoping they've got that sussed.

Rutherglen wins on Tokay. I liked their versions better than the real deals in Slovakia/Hungary/Austria.

Back